ACK!!! "Future" Help

Myersjessee

So...final step of my hasegawa Angel Birds...(finally)....I clear coated the entire thing with a dull coat (just an edge os semigloss) The entire thing is built, and decaled....my last step was to remove the liquid mask from the canopy and lights...then basically...final checks and done....the liquid mask did not come off easily...and then...to my chagrin....the entire canopy appeared to come free...but it was not the canopy...rather the nic thick shiny coat of Future that was on it. !!! DOH! After carfully removing it I have been able to get it all removed (so the plastic is now all even and exposed....) but now my canopy looks dull again...like it did before the beautiful coat of future. The canopy is still glued on...Im wondering how to best reapply the future. I dipped the canopy originally...but I cant do that...since it's glued on...should I:

A) remove the canopy (scares me) redip and reglue

B ) Mask the rest of the jet and airbrush the future on (never airbrushed it)

C) Paint the future on with a thick brush..mask the rest of the jet and count on it to self level

D) Mask and gloss coat the canopy

E) Other...anyone...your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by Myersjessee

Ok your first mistake was the you glued the canopy using model glue instead of canopy glue. canopy glue can come off very easy without damaging the paint.

this is what you should've done

1. coat the canopy w/ liquid masking ( let dry )

2. glue the canopy with canopy glue

3.) paint the model, you can spray over the canopy cuz you've mask'd it

4.) remove the canopy when the paint is dry, peel off the masking

5) add decals to canopy then dip in future

6.) glue back on w/ canopy glue

right now I would just try to use a exacto knive and carfully cut it out

clean the canopy up and redip it in future should bring back the shine

Edited by kam63

Ok your first mistake was the you glued the canopy using model glue instead of canopy glue. canopy glue can come off very easy without damaging the paint.

this is what you should've done

1. coat the canopy w/ liquid masking ( let dry )

2. glue the canopy with canopy glue

3.) paint the model, you can spray over the canopy cuz you've mask'd  it

4.) remove the canopy when the paint is dry, peel off the masking

5) add decals to canopy then dip in future

6.) glue back on w/ canopy glue

right now I would just try to use a exacto knive and carfully cut it out

clean the canopy up and redip it in future should bring back the shine

I glued it on with Microsocales Krystal clear...(which I think is canopy glue) and did all the other steps you had listed up to cutting it away...anyone have any success cutting away Krystal Klear...I would hate to damage it at this point...but if it will work Ill try it.

Im afraid to dip it...(the nose) too much chance for bad masking....and not sure how well the tape will come off soaked....sounds like airbrushing is bad...so I guess Ill try painting it unless I can try and cut it off....

Edited by Myersjessee

I always just use car polish (paste in a a tub) for clear parts. Sure it's a bit more physical effort to hand-buff something, but no worries about it running or leaking. My Lakota's warp nacelles are foot-long hand-polished clear parts. Took hours, but they're friggin gorgeous. Most people believe they are actually clear crystal-acrylic sapphire-blue parts, not painted and polished like that from normal clear plastic. "Mother's California Gold" I think is the specific brand used, got it at Autozone.