HALO on the PC

I'll be getting Halo, but not until after I get Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex 2. It's a great game, and I enjoyed it on the Xbox, but we've already waited this long for it....

Is anyone else getting sick of the good games that get crappy sequels that are made to emulate Halo? Unreal II and Red Faction II were both pretty much stinkers that I thought tried to hard to emulate Halo rather continue with what made the originals so good. It's not as disappointing with Unreal II as I didn't care so much for the structure of the game, but Red Faction had a really good story that should have had a great continuation if they were going to make a sequel for it at all. Bleh. The only thing they have in common is the geo-mod engine and the Red Faction name.

I agree with Super O, Why oh why did Microshaft release this game on the PC? Better yet why did they wait so long? If this game had come out when it was "new" then all it's flash and features would have been neat... but instead it just feels like a copycat "me too" title. I know it is not really a "me too" because it had a lot of these features back when they were new but when you release a two year old game into the market with no real improvements it shows it's age.

Latest MS business model: hijack promising PC titles to the Xbox, delay the PC release SEVERELY, release said promising titles exclusive to Xbox to promote Xbox sales. Negative externality: PC releases then appear dated and unoriginal.

Just you watch, Half-Life 2 and Deus-Ex 2 are going to be such let-downs...

Hey, hey Kids!

I found a single copy of Halo for the PC on a rack in a Walmart of all places this weekend while I was picking up packing supplies for my eBay auctions. I bought it...

Man... what a letdown...

Why was everyone so hyped about this game anyway? It's a run of the mill FPS game with only one gimmick: vehicles... seems to me like a futuristic version of Medal of Honor, just without all the "wow" and "gee" things... well to be honest it has some interesting elements but they are two year old innovations that are long tired on the PC FPS circut.

I agree with Super O, Why oh why did Microshaft release this game on the PC? Better yet why did they wait so long? If this game had come out when it was "new" then all it's flash and features would have been neat... but instead it just feels like a copycat "me too" title. I know it is not really a "me too" because it had a lot of these features back when they were new but when you release a two year old game into the market with no real improvements it shows it's age.

Oh well, I brought it with me to work today so we'll see if the multiplayer can save this guy from oblivion.

Tell me about it.

I got Xbox Halo 6 months ago and it was already disapointing. The graphics weren't much to look at. The enemy design silly (except for the flood). The weapons weren't really that fun. The vehicles were an excruciating pain to drive. The AI isn't much better then what we have been seing for years now. The plot is annoying. The level design uninspired.

The only reason why I even thought about beating the game is that the model physics are amazing! I'm telling you.... hitting an enemy as it leaps in mid air at you, with a shotgun and seeing it fly back from the impact is a sight to behold. Don't even get me started on the granades. Those are some realistic physics. :)

Red Faction had a really good story that should have had a great continuation if they were going to make a sequel for it at all. Bleh. The only thing they have in common is the geo-mod engine and the Red Faction name.

I liked Red Faction II... the mech dealie was AWESOME. But it continued the one sad thing that I didn't like about RF... No vehicles in multiplayer.

That said, RFII was a dissapointment since, like you said, it basically was the RF engine with a totally different plot. <_<

Did anyone else get major Half-Life flashbacks playing RF? I just kept getting this strange feeling that the plot was ripped off from HL...

That, and RF was way too short. Like Blue Shift. :lol:

Vostok 7

Latest MS business model: hijack promising PC titles to the Xbox, delay the PC release SEVERELY, release said promising titles exclusive to Xbox to promote Xbox sales. Negative externality: PC releases then appear dated and unoriginal.

Just you watch, Half-Life 2 and Deus-Ex 2 are going to be such let-downs...

But you missed 1 point..... hijack a PC game, have it released on the Xbox a few months earlier and completly unpolished. <_<

The Xbox KOTOR sucked.... and Bioware better fix it bugs for the PC version. :angry:

The only reason why I even thought about beating the game is that the model physics are amazing! I'm telling you.... hitting an enemy as it leaps in mid air at you, with a shotgun and seeing it fly back from the impact is a sight to behold. Don't even get me started on the granades. Those are some realistic physics. :)

Heck yeah, that is one thing that's impressed me for some time now about Halo.

And one thing that impresses everyone else? Me sniping them out of a tank -_-

I just love hearing cries of... "But I was in a tank!!"

Vostok 7

i r t3h l337 sNlpz0r. Blah-de blah blah. Just you wait until we have the 1st annual Macross World Half-Life 2 Tournament, sonny boy.  ;)

You're on me boyo.

Give me a sniper rifle and a machine gun and I'll pwn3z0rz everyone.

On the other hand... Give Abombz a rocket launcher and you'll all be pwn3d. :blink:

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Give me a sack full of grenades and enough body armor to survive long enough to run in close to you.

JIHAD babeee! BOOOOOOOM!

(In the office I'm known as king of tripmines and grenades) B)

You won't get close enough B)

BTW... Abombz is on my team.

They don't call her Abombz for nothin' :blink: :blink:

Did you know a lightsaber can't deflect a rocket? :huh::blink:

Vostok 7

That's why I play LAN games...

- you know who you are up against

- there are no FOSH weapons like "rockets"

- everyone knows that I'm laying tripmines and satchel charges in all the campgrounds so we have few "snipers"

- death is everywhere :p

LAN games are great because you have balanced gameplay, today's game of Vietcong (after we hung up Halo for being a pile) had an even kill ratio, no one was "top dog". We fight with conventional weapons and grenades... most kills come from well placed grenades and booby traps as meeting engagements usually result in two players shooting each other to peices and someone else wandering in and popping them both.

I get soooooooo pissed off at online games in which one little group of turds get rocket launchers or BFG9000 FOSH guns and just start camping and ramping everyone on the board... that and the snap shot camp snipers.

The only time I camp is when I'm down to 10 bullets, 10 health and I surround myself with satchel charges with my finger on the trigger... I get you and me with one press.

- everyone knows that I'm laying tripmines and satchel charges in all the campgrounds so we have few "snipers"

LAN games are great because you have balanced gameplay, today's game of Vietcong (after we hung up Halo for being a pile) had an even kill ratio, no one was "top dog". We fight with conventional weapons and grenades... most kills come from well placed grenades and booby traps as meeting engagements usually result in two players shooting each other to peices and someone else wandering in and popping them both.

I get soooooooo pissed off at online games in which one little group of turds get rocket launchers or BFG9000 FOSH guns and just start camping and ramping everyone on the board... that and the snap shot camp snipers.

The only time I camp is when I'm down to 10 bullets, 10 health and I surround myself with satchel charges with my finger on the trigger... I get you and me with one press.

You are no fun!!

Oh well... there are other ways of watching ppl suffer. :p

I'm tons of fun, I and the people I like to play with just dislike FOSH weapons and campers... we fight it out with machine guns, rifles, pistols and grenades in crazy hit and run moves...

Come to think of it, we fight like Bsu... :lol:

To be honest/.... the only MP I ever really played that much was JO... and that was for 1 hour when I handed Vostok his ass with a rocket launcher.

But Bsus idea is great..... we need to get ppl to play online once HL2 is out!! :o

YES! You understand. Though I only play Quake3 online and in LAN games, I hate not being able to look my prey in the eye... or yell a them down the hall.

I hate not being able to look my prey in the eye... or yell a them down the hall.

We get quite rowdy at the office.

I got a book thrown at me today because a satchel charge I totally forgot I placed went off and killed 5 people who were having a knife fight... they all had the great idea to see who would win in a knife fight free for all in a clearing...

... when the SC went off and killed them all I got quite a lot of chin music... :p At that point the game momentarily changed from a free for all into kill the boss.

I hate not being able to look my prey in the eye... or yell a them down the hall.

We get quite rowdy at the office.

I got a book thrown at me today because a satchel charge I totally forgot I placed went off and killed 5 people who were having a knife fight... they all had the great idea to see who would win in a knife fight free for all in a clearing...

... when the SC went off and killed them all I got quite a lot of chin music... :p At that point the game momentarily changed from a free for all into kill the boss.

Ah! The memories it brings back!! Playing lan with the dorm proctor.... beating him and getting frounded for the weekend!! Damn you HS!! :angry:

That was just luck <_<

"In my experience, there's no such thing as "luck."

- Obi Wan Kenobi

Comming from the School Of Goldeneye, tripmines and grenade launchers were a way of life. You either learned fast or died. Often. A very few of us (myself included) learned the mystic art of "grenade trigonometry" where we could eventually hit any point of a map that was in range by bouncing it off the walls. Since this is a family board, I won't repeat the many names I got called for that. :ph34r:

That was just luck <_<

"In my experience, there's no such thing as "luck."

- Obi Wan Kenobi

Comming from the School Of Goldeneye, tripmines and grenade launchers were a way of life. You either learned fast or died. Often. A very few of us (myself included) learned the mystic art of "grenade trigonometry" where we could eventually hit any point of a map that was in range by bouncing it off the walls. Since this is a family board, I won't repeat the many names I got called for that. :ph34r:

lol. Ah! Power weapons!! Thew only way of playing Golden Eye. B)

When HL2 finally ships, we'll definitely have to pick a time and date and do some MW fragging. It's been a long while since I've played HL multi player, but IIRC there was the option to disable some of the more uber weapons, so that should satisfy JsARC if they carry that feature over.

And I'm going to make it my mission to use that tractor beam thingy to throw every single entity on the map at Vostok's head. :p

When HL2 finally ships, we'll definitely have to pick a time and date and do some MW fragging. It's been a long while since I've played HL multi player, but IIRC there was the option to disable some of the more uber weapons, so that should satisfy JsARC if they carry that feature over.

And I'm going to make it my mission to use that tractor beam thingy to throw every single entity on the map at Vostok's head. :p

Not if I catch him with a rocket launcher first!! :lol:

Hey Guys....

If you would like to play people online and still be able to yell at them and trash talk them...try a little program called Microsoft Gamevoice.....you can get a demo version that will allow you to have 4 people talking on the same "server" (someone acts as a server)

Our game of choice for playing is Battlefield 1942 with the Desert Combat mod or the Eve of Destruction mod.....I am known as "up the middle Twichell" I will charge anyone at anytime, whether it be tank, 10 guys or a jeep. I die a lot, but when I am going on my thing, I rack up the kills too.

It is all kinds of fun yelling at your buddy to "blows those f*ckers up to your right" while you are sitting in a M-1A1 Abrahams tank roving across the Desert/

Larry

Voice comm is a godsend in a team based game. The tough part is finding a server where the admins aren't spamming the mic with mindless discussion of homework, their chores, and who is t3h sux0rz. <_< I can't remember which program is in use in HL currently, but it supports as many players that have mikes.

There's a few where you can set up a client side server... like TeamSpeak which is what some of my squadron buddies (IL-2 Sturmovik, BlitzPig Squadron) use for their comms. I'm not big into it since I live with my 'rents... but this winter... :D

Vostok 7

There's only one possible snag in our plans for our little MW fragfest. I just hope that HL2 multiplayer, in the form of Team Fortress Classic 2, isn't shipped as a seperate game. Unreal Tournament 2K already went this route. Of course, we all know we'd still buy both versions, but it's the principle of the thing, dammit!

There's only one possible snag in our plans for our little MW fragfest. I just hope that HL2 multiplayer, in the form of Team Fortress Classic 2, isn't shipped as a seperate game. Unreal Tournament 2K already went this route. Of course, we all know we'd still buy both versions, but it's the principle of the thing, dammit!

Considering the first HL shipped with TF classics.... why wouldn't valve ship TF classics 2 with HL2? Give me a break... are they going to claim someone stole their source code again? <_<

Considering the first HL shipped with TF classics.... why wouldn't valve ship TF classics 2 with HL2? Give me a break... are they going to claim someone stole their source code again? <_<

0h n0es!!1 Our sourc3 c0d3 has b3n3 stoeled!!!111 uh... Again!!!11

Vostok 7

I know, I know. I hope you're right too. I'm just saying that the precedent has already been set for multiplayer add-ons getting a seperate release. From what I read, people who were discussing the HL2 code theft had found lots of mention of TF2 inside the code, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing. :rolleyes:

I know, I know. I hope you're right too. I'm just saying that the precedent has already been set for multiplayer add-ons getting a seperate release. From what I read, people who were discussing the HL2 code theft had found lots of mention of TF2 inside the code, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing. :rolleyes:

Or.... you could always wait for a new Counterstrike using the HL2 engine. :)

Or.... you could always wait for a new Counterstrike using the HL2 engine. :)

Counter-Hack? No thanks. If I wanted to play with 9 year olds, I'd drop by the Elementary School playground at recess. <_< And sadly, all the hacker will have their cheats ready for HL2, thanks to the code theft. It's pretty sad that somebody would devote that much time and effort just to cheat.