HALO on the PC

Been reading reviews for it to see how it translates from console.

You will need at least a 2Ghz machine for it to run comfortably. But the reveiws have been favorable overall. There is just mention of some repetitiveness to the levels. I am looking forward to being able to finally play this game. Tried it briefly at a state fair last year. The Xbox controller was annoying.

Gimme a mouse and an Nostromo N50 Speedpad anyday!

B)

We should have no issues running the game... my interest is in how it plays. Every review I've read says it is a plain straight up port with no added anything except for multiplayer... which is the only thing that inerests me anyway.

On the other note, has anyone seen this thing on shelves yet? The local Best Buy said they would have it in store wednesday and I went in only to be greeted with an empty slot.

So I take it that Halo is coming out for Mac too? I'm only running a 500 mhz G4, is that enought to run this sucker smoothly? I play diablo 2 all the time on my machine and it runs fine, especially online. I hope it's ok. I can't afford to upgrade to a G5, that would be nice though.....:p:D:lol:

So I take it that Halo is coming out for Mac too? I'm only running a 500 mhz G4, is that enought to run this sucker smoothly? I play diablo 2 all the time on my machine and it runs fine, especially online. I hope it's ok. I can't afford to upgrade to a G5, that would be nice though.....:p:D:lol:

Errr.... I wouldn;t hold my breath. We are lucky to be seeing a PC version of the game. <_<

I don't really see how frame rates should be a problem. Unless you have a less than 700MHz CPU, less ram than the XBox, or have a really shitty video card. :/

When you turn up all the bells and whistles it can really lag the system. HALO is still a really nice looking game and has many effects and high quality textures. Doesn't look too complex at first, but then you realize you're seeing real time shadows and reflections of trees and crap in master chief's armor. My framerates drop drastically around indoor environments and I'm running a 2.5athlon barton with 512 mb dual channel ddr and an nvidia ti4600. :ph34r:

Multiplayer is awesome though.

I used to be pretty good when I played the console version because truthfully, everyone kinda sucked when it came to the controller. But now that everyone's blazing with mouse+keyboard, I'm getting rocked left and right. :D Fun times!

I don't really see how frame rates should be a problem.  Unless you have a less than 700MHz CPU, less ram than the XBox, or have a really shitty video card. :/

When you turn up all the bells and whistles it can really lag the system. HALO is still a really nice looking game and has many effects and high quality textures. Doesn't look too complex at first, but then you realize you're seeing real time shadows and reflections of trees and crap in master chief's armor. My framerates drop drastically around indoor environments and I'm running a 2.5athlon barton with 512 mb dual channel ddr and an nvidia ti4600. :ph34r:

Multiplayer is awesome though.

I used to be pretty good when I played the console version because truthfully, everyone kinda sucked when it came to the controller. But now that everyone's blazing with mouse+keyboard, I'm getting rocked left and right. :D Fun times!

Funny... I always found the controller pretty easy to play, specially because secondary skills like jumping and granade throwing were so easy to reach. :huh:

Don't get it!! The best part of Halo, the co-op mode did not make it into Halo PC. :angry:

The single player game is trully useless, if you even consider buying Halo, get it for multiplayer only. <_<

I read that Bungie is considering co-op mode. They chose not to implement it due to the fact that it would have taken far longer to get the game on the shelves. I am hopeful that it will be implemented.

I have not played any of the Xbox version 'cept for that time at the fair.

I am still looking forward to playing this game.

Don't get it!! The best part of Halo, the co-op mode did not make it into Halo PC. :angry:

The single player game is trully useless, if you even consider buying Halo, get it for multiplayer only. <_<

I read that Bungie is considering co-op mode. They chose not to implement it due to the fact that it would have taken far longer to get the game on the shelves. I am hopeful that it will be implemented.

I have not played any of the Xbox version 'cept for that time at the fair.

I am still looking forward to playing this game.

It would take longer to finish the game? How? Is it really that hard to implement co-op? :huh:

Apparently it seems to be.

It would take some rewriting of the existing code to be able to have that function. Not being a programmer, I can't imagine what it takes to write something like that.

:unsure:

Maybe they could have ditched the entire single player mode for a co-op mode. SP mode is basically useless. <_<

It would take some rewriting of the existing code to be able to have that function. Not being a programmer, I can't imagine what it takes to write something like that.

Maybe they could have ditched the entire single player mode for a co-op mode. SP mode is basically useless. <_<

I can see where you'd feel that way, if you've been through the Xbox version already.

:)

I'm still hopeful for a fun SP experience.

:D

I can see where you'd feel that way, if you've been through the Xbox version already.

:)

I'm still hopeful for a fun SP experience.

:D

Trust me.... SP is like walking through the same room over and over again. At least when you get the shotgun you will have some fun with the physics. :lol:

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac release. Macs are, plain and simple, crap for games. The fact that they're so apt for 3D graphics is their downfall. While they are great for high-detail still renders (as Low-End computers go. I know you may not think 4,000 bucks is low end, but compared to the $20,000 or more SGI rigs real pros use, they're dirt cheap.), they suck horribly when it comes to framerates. Pro 3D PCs are actually the same way. Throw an nVidia Quaddro card in a rig, and it'll be great for pro graphic, but useless for gaming. Plus, they have those horrible keyboards and the one button mice, which all have to be replaced before gaming is possible.

THe one thing there is going for a Mac release is that Bungie, Halo's developer, is traditionally a Mac developer. Halo was originally slated to be a Mac release, but MS convinced them to put it on the xBox instead.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac release. Macs are, plain and simple, crap for games. The fact that they're so apt for 3D graphics is their downfall. While they are great for high-detail still renders (as Low-End computers go. I know you may not think 4,000 bucks is low end, but compared to the $20,000 or more SGI rigs real pros use, they're dirt cheap.), they suck horribly when it comes to framerates. Pro 3D PCs are actually the same way. Throw an nVidia Quaddro card in a rig, and it'll be great for pro graphic, but useless for gaming. Plus, they have those horrible keyboards and the one button mice, which all have to be replaced before gaming is possible.

THe one thing there is going for a Mac release is that Bungie, Halo's developer, is traditionally a Mac developer. Halo was originally slated to be a Mac release, but MS convinced them to put it on the xBox instead.

It was also supposed to come out for the PS2 at some point too. :o

(Seems I should have quoted Abombz last post about the shotgun......................)

I hope so.

:lol:

Every review that I have read today has said the same thing about the level design. It seems like Bungie couldn't be as imaginative with the level design as they were with the elements of the game.

I'll have to see if any of the stores in the DC area have this game yet.

It'd be a nice present to myself after I take a Win2K Server exam on Tuesday!

Edited by Capt Hungry

My interest in Halo is mainly the multiplayer mode so I and my fellows in the new office can duke it out in a new game (vietcong and jedi outcast are way old now)... but I'm also interested in the single player game for myself at home when I'm bored (like right now when there is no Half Life 2 or Doom 3).

I really want HL2, but I'm hoping Halo keeps me occupied for a few months until it shows up.

Personally I'm enjoying the single player mode. I wish it was longer though, I just fear it will be to short. I just need to get talk some people into purchasing it on campus to get a lan game going.

Edited by Effect

Personally I'm enjoying the single player mode. I could care less what others feel about it. I buy games to enjoy all aspects of it. I wish it was longer though, I just fear it will be to short. I just need to get talk some people into purchasing it on campus to get a lan game going.

SP is far from being short. When you think the game is ending.... it starts over again. :ph34r:

but I'm also interested in the single player game for myself at home when I'm bored

Like I said.... as soon as you get the shotgun you will see the game in a new light. Otherwise, play this SP mode with an open mind and have something to entertain yourself while you are at it. :p

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mac release. Macs are, plain and simple, crap for games. [...] Plus, they have those horrible keyboards and the one button mice, which all have to be replaced before gaming is possible.

My impression is that Macs are crap for games because almost nobody writes games for Macs. And that's all. Oni, for example, is great on the Mac, although you do need a two-button input device--for which you can use an ultra-cheap two-button mouse. I got one for free (after rebate) at OfficeMax. No Mac driver for it, so it's a one-button mouse as far as the Finder is concerned, but Oni correctly recognizes the second button. (And probably would recognize the third, scroll wheel, button, but I never use that in Oni.) If you want a fully-usable two-button mouse for the Mac, it's not much more expensive.

Another datapoint, American McGee's Alice drags just enough on my home G3/400 to be less-than-fun, but I can tell it would be fine on a G4/733 like I have at work (just haven't tried it).

The keyboards all have the basically same keys, so I suspect your reaction is due to unfamiliarity.

Regarding multiplayer, quote from the page I linked:

one thing that is not included on the retail CD is the app needed to run your own dedicated server. Well, due to popular demand, we've pushed forward the distribution of the pre-release server and it's now available for your hosting pleasure. Read on for important info...

Welcome to the pre-release of the Halo PC Dedicated Server!

Due to the overwhelming demand and popularity of Halo PC on its initial ship day, we are releasing our dedicated server to the community earlier than planned. Please take a couple of minutes to read this note – it will provide you with important information and save you time.

Regarding Mac availablity, same site, dated 9/23/03

More Details on Mac Halo

September 23rd, 2003 1:27 PM PDT, by SketchFactor

Following up on their earlier interview with Peter Tamte from Destineer Studios (Mac Halo Publisher), our friends at HBO sat down with Westlake Interactive president, Phil Sulak (Mac Halo Developer) to uncover more details of the upcoming port. This new interview digs deeper into the well of information with topics ranging from development hurdles to modding. One question specifically deals with Bungie's "penchant for sprinkling profanities throught their code." Phil's response: "We've found some things in the code that would make a Russian sailor blush." Head over to halo.bungie.org to read the full story!

While no release date has been given yet, the Mac port of Halo is moving right along and shouldn't be too far behind it's PC counterpart. Stay tuned to Bungie.net for more info.

I don't know what kind of Mac HW will be required/recommended for Halo, but I'm sure we'll have a good idea of how it performs once it's released.

I really want HL2, but I'm hoping Halo keeps me occupied for a few months until it shows up.

HL2 got pushed back till November. I too am waiting for this one.

The first was very cool. Made me yelp and jump out of my chair more than once!

damn head crabs..............

<_<

Edited by Capt Hungry

HL2 got pushed back till November. I too am waiting for this one.

The first was very cool. Made me yelp and jump out of my chair more than once!

I just hope the recently HL2 code theft hasn't delayed the game ever further. :(

My room mate , Chad, has been playing the demo for about a month now, the multiplayer is insanely fun, i've gotten a chance to play on his machine a few times,

there is a new warthog with a missle launcher and now you can use the Banshee in the multiplayer mode, single player is EXACTLY like the original game, but now with mouse and keyboard to make it easyer to move around.

my room mate is in the Halo PC stratagy guide, check the acknolegments on the first or second page. Chad "shishka" armstrong. :-D i know people.