Kaiyodo Revoltech Figures

wolfx

Just got my Revoltech Saber. No pics yet, but at least I can talk about it... :D

Comes in a very nice box, with a nice background pic of Saber, as below:

IPB Image

(Love the pic. :) Taken from wikipedia but hosted on my own photosite.)

Box is largish and I'm seriously tempted to keep it; aside from the Revoltech Zero, I've trashed all my other Revoltech boxes. Inside the box there's this pamphlet for Revoltech G2, of which apparently Saber is #1.

In terms of accessories, this is really thin. Saber, Excalibur, Invisible Air... and the stand. That's it. No extra hands, no nothing. A bit disappointing that Avalon wasn't included, and that no extra hands were around, but then again I always had problems with the spare parts.

Ok, so back to Saber. Good articulation overall -- Head, shoulders, wrists, waist, hips, knees and ankles are all revoltech joints. In addition, the side armour skirts are double-revoltech joints. Elbow surprisingly isn't -- it's a 90-degree joint, which I find disappointing. Upper arm is a slot-in joint which can turn but is not a revoltech joint. My waist joint is a bit loose and Saber tend to get bisected in my play. But that's quite normal for Revoltechs (I face this problem with my Ingrams and Zero too).

However, I find the placement for the joints, especially the hips and to some extent the shoulders to be awkward. I think Kaiyodo still hasn't quite gotten the joint placement right, or that the Revoltech joints are just not quite right for this purpose.

In addition, I do have some issues with getting poses right; Revoltech joints are a little awkward in that aspect but does hold poses right and tight. It feels like there's just one joint too many on this figure, but it could be just me getting used to it. Overall though, posability is quite good and no real "flappy" parts. Armour skirts does tend to get in the way but that's what they are supposed to do.

(Aside: only the side skirts are jointed. the front and back plates are soft rubbery plastic that's quite durable.)

Paint application and overall look and feel is excellent. The sculpt is what drew me to purchase and it looks better in person; only problem is that Saber is looking to her left so some poses look off.

In summary, it's great in looks, good in posability, poor in extra parts. Great buy especially if you intend for her to guard your PC. :D

In other news, Dark Saber is slated to come out later this year, but I'm not likely to pick her up. The paint scheme just doesn't appeal to me.

In terms of accessories, this is really thin. Saber, Excalibur, Invisible Air... and the stand. That's it. No extra hands, no nothing. A bit disappointing that Avalon wasn't included, and that no extra hands were around, but then again I always had problems with the spare parts.

Yeah well didn't expected much of accesories. At least my "perfect saber" by ebCraft has the finer details.

http://www.hlj.com/product/ENT01389

Ok, so back to Saber. Good articulation overall -- Head, shoulders, wrists, waist, hips, knees and ankles are all revoltech joints. In addition, the side armour skirts are double-revoltech joints. Elbow surprisingly isn't -- it's a 90-degree joint, which I find disappointing. Upper arm is a slot-in joint which can turn but is not a revoltech joint. My waist joint is a bit loose and Saber tend to get bisected in my play. But that's quite normal for Revoltechs (I face this problem with my Ingrams and Zero too).

I overall think that joint placements are excellent. Elbow is 90 degrees....no problem. Your elbow is 90 degrees too, right? :lol: Just like your arm, you swivel from your bicep and wrists so i don't find the elbow a problem. But bear in mind that the Revoltech Saber is known to have a QC defect on the right elbow. That joint seems to break easily or looks abit deformed on the connection causing stress. Mine looks deformed inside if looked at with scrutiny but no problems with it so far.

However, I find the placement for the joints, especially the hips and to some extent the shoulders to be awkward. I think Kaiyodo still hasn't quite gotten the joint placement right, or that the Revoltech joints are just not quite right for this purpose.

I try to compare all joints to the human body. It ain't perfect but its more or less the same. That said, i don't have any problems with the shoulder though the hips its hard to get a perfect 90 degrees out of it.

In addition, I do have some issues with getting poses right; Revoltech joints are a little awkward in that aspect but does hold poses right and tight. It feels like there's just one joint too many on this figure, but it could be just me getting used to it.

Yeah it just takes practice. The early Yamaguchi sculpts pre-revoltech (Evangelion comes to mind) days are even weirder as the joints are all on angles, not the usual GI-JOE joints we are all so used too.

Paint application and overall look and feel is excellent. The sculpt is what drew me to purchase and it looks better in person; only problem is that Saber is looking to her left so some poses look off.

Overall its a nice presentation. My only qualm about paint/sculpt is the eyes. Her eyes are painted to look to the left, so the only "natural" pose for her head is to face left a little. If taken from another angle, it would look weird.

In summary, it's great in looks, good in posability, poor in extra parts. Great buy especially if you intend for her to guard your PC. :D

I agree. I'm gonna take some pics when i return later. PS: I still can't get the stand to work. Maybe i lack imagination.

In other news, Dark Saber is slated to come out later this year, but I'm not likely to pick her up. The paint scheme just doesn't appeal to me.

Yeah dun really like the Dark Saber myself.

Edited by wolfx

I overall think that joint placements are excellent. Elbow is 90 degrees....no problem. Your elbow is 90 degrees too, right? :lol: Just like your arm, you swivel from your bicep and wrists so i don't find the elbow a problem. But bear in mind that the Revoltech Saber is known to have a QC defect on the right elbow. That joint seems to break easily or looks abit deformed on the connection causing stress. Mine looks deformed inside if looked at with scrutiny but no problems with it so far.

Well, there's actually a bit of side-to-side play and the elbow's greater than 90 degrees actually (otherwise you cannot fold your arm up to touch the same shoulder). By rights, it should be a two-Revoltech joint system.. The Ingrams used Revoltech joints in the elbows and it worked ok (if just a bit prone to lower arm detachment).

Whichever the case, the joint on mine looks a little deformed but functions well. It should hold up, I hope.

Awesome pics of Revy, and it reminded me that I was going to get that figure but somehow totally forgot about it. She seems to be sold out everywhere now, but Animeniacs of all places still has some, so I immediately placed an order an now have one on the way. :D

Get 2! Revy on Revy action ahoy! lol :lol: I am glad i got two, and i will colour one as a blondey. :p

A blonde Revy would look wicked.

Yeah dun really like the Dark Saber myself.

Hmm, now that I looked at the HLJ pics closely, Dark Saber is actually quite substantially different from Saber. Armour's only superficially similar -- it's totally different in many places. Head is a new sculpt, weapon is new. Might actually be worth getting.. if only there's a way to get rid of the blood splatters.

EDIT: Just looked up the ebCraft version. That looks quite good too, quite tempted.

Edited by Lynx7725

Just got my Revoltech Saber. No pics yet, but at least I can talk about it... :D

Ok, here comes the pics. Quick and dirty shoot.

Saber from the front and back:

IPB ImageIPB Image

The double-jointed hip armour is very obvious here. They're really nice for posing, but sometimes quite a pain in the posterior. It's a crying shame really, because aside from these joints, you can't really tell from the pics that she's actually revoltech jointed.

And yes, the sword isn't held up by the hand, it's really resting tip down into the ground.

Saber presenting arms, and then doing.. something. :)

IPB ImageIPB Image

Saber in action pose:

IPB Image

This really shows off how the skirts are supposed to part to allow movement of the legs. Note that the interior legs actually do have details on them (as in breeches), so Kaiyodo really didn't skim on this area.

I didn't notice a lot of small details on first pass, like that the gauntlets are different from each other (the left is a cestus, nasty nasty lady). Personally, I think she'd look great with a shield.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Revy today. Love, love, love this line. Almost any Anime/Sci Fi character aside from Totoro would benefit from being a part of this line. Hell, give me Totoro, too!

I could spell out a laundry list of who I'd love to see, but towards the top would be Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Mugen from Champloo and Lupin III.

Apparently from my new supplier there is talk (big maybe) that Eva char figures are to be included in this line... Asuka yay! :D

That would be cool. I've got several Rei/Asuka figures but none of them have quite nailed it yet. It's either killer sculpt and lacking articulation or killer articulation and lacking sculpt. I trust Revoltech to remedy that. And dammit, I WANT A SHINJI!

That would be cool. I've got several Rei/Asuka figures but none of them have quite nailed it yet. It's either killer sculpt and lacking articulation or killer articulation and lacking sculpt. I trust Revoltech to remedy that. And dammit, I WANT A SHINJI!

:blink:

weirdo. XD

And i have enough rei asukas that its not funny.....i even got the cutesy poseable Customa figs. >_<

Here are some pics of my Revoltech Prime and Megatron. :D

Haha, nice pictures. That second one gave me a good chuckle. I wish my local Import Store would finally get their shipments of Megatron in already, how long as he been out now... a month? Sheet.

:blink:

weirdo. XD

And i have enough rei asukas that its not funny.....i even got the cutesy poseable Customa figs. >_<

Yeah, I know, I'm the only one who seems to want an action figure of the main character of Evangelion. I also forgot to mention that I'd LOVE a detailed and nicely articulated Misato figure, too. How about a set of Misato with her car, and Shinji can be an accessory. That way all of you who dont want him can leave him in the box or throw him away. :D

Yeah, I know, I'm the only one who seems to want an action figure of the main character of Evangelion. I also forgot to mention that I'd LOVE a detailed and nicely articulated Misato figure, too. How about a set of Misato with her car, and Shinji can be an accessory. That way all of you who dont want him can leave him in the box or throw him away. :D

Man your not crazy at all, Misato's car in scale with a Revoltech would seriously KICK ASS.

I eyed off the model kit of Misato/car/shinji and there was another one of just the car, shinji and asuka.

But i didn't have a good deal at the time, maybe later on i might try an pick one up...

AND you guys are missing the benefits of having Shinji as an revoltech figure...

STOMPY GOODNESS!!!! STOMP STOMP STOMP!!! DIE YOU LITTLE WOOZY BASTARD!!! D I E ~!

The shoulderblade opens into a sniper scope. And apparently the Positron sniper rifle and Shield Of Virtue(lol) is sold in a seperate weapons pack.

Received my nice package yesterday afternoon! Pics acoming! :D

I got movie version Eva-02 pinned down a wingless Eva-05 with one hand clamped around it's neck,

and the other fist preppin to smash it's teeth in. : D

Also another Eva-05 lying bloodied, amrless, broken legs (can't take off the legs so you need to break them up haha)

with it's brains sliding out, and the last Eva-05 wing (one i got first) trying to fly down and stab Asuka with

the double bladed sword, of course to no avail! muah h ahahaha best diorama figures EVA. ^_^

The spear of longlinessy (whatever it's spelt) is bloody long! Even longer than my LM-HG spear!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Lots of revoltech pics..

Thanks so much for the pics, bigger Revoltech Eva's with working progressive knife housings..

dual swords for Eva-01 (but no sheaths!!!)... i'm sold.

Revoltechs are too good to pass up, cheap, space saving, perfectly poseable... can't go wrong!

I'm getting both.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I'm getting sorely tempted to get Dark Saber. But let me get the EBcraft/ Koto Saber kitbash out of the way first.

And now we know how Kaiyodo intends to make money with Dark Saber. They are packaging Excalibur with Dark Saber, so if you want normal Saber to use a revealed Excalibur, you sort of have to get Dark Saber.

Dark saber just got released. I'm glad I picked it up. Is the EBcraft/ Koto Saber still for sale anywhere?

Edited by Golden Arms