Just Got My Dyrl Perfect Edition By Fx

Pervataru

Yap, but I am more interested in how Macross reaches Finland?

Sorry guys, slightly off topic but I'm just a little curious, please spare a couple of posts.

Edit: Oh, you are from Australia I noticed.

378926[/snapback]

DYRL doesn't even explain that the SDF-1 is an alien ship, now does it? It doesn't explain why the aliens are attacking Earth, it doesn't explain how Earth got nuked... it doesn't explain a lot of things.

378231[/snapback]

I don't see why we have to have that explanation at all. A malignant, alien force has come in great numbers to besiege the Earth. It doesn't matter if our lead spaceship is an import or a domestic. And since when does a malignant, alien warrior force need a reason to attack a planet? Finally, in DYRL Earth was mentioned to have been bombarded by the attacking fleet sometime during the SDF-1's narrow escape.

But after 12 dozen times in 90% of all sci-fi video games and movies, it's high time the aliens started explaining this irrational obsession they ahve with Earth.

I loved DYRL. It was mindblowing, both when I was a child and as an adult! The series still moves me too. But, I think the TV show was a more compelling than DYRL. Do you remember love, as amazing as it is, feels like a Readers Digest Condensed version of the TV show, which I guess was the point, but it did not have the impact or depth the TV series had. The anmimation however, is the best I have ever seen. I have stills all over my office, and as much as people make fun of me for loving it so much, they all appreciate the intricate artwork.

What introduced me to the Genere, however, was Robotech. I have read many fans on this site bash it, and a few who stand for it. Let me say, that for what it was, and the ammount of time Carl Macek and crew had to pull that series together, it too is a testimate of all that is propitious. Robotech will always have a place in my heart, being the first series that I was introduced to. Heck, I find myself still referring to Macross characters by their Robotech names. Robotech is still fun for me as an adult. But as I am getting older, I find myself drawn more to the origial Macross saga over its American counterpart.

Macross has more milage than Robotech too. Sure, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is due out on the 32nd of this month, but Macross has so many spin offs...and rightfully so. The universe can be endless, there is so much material to explore. Macross TV, DYRL, Flashback, Macross II, Macross II the movie, Macross Plus, Macross Plus the Movie, Macross 7, Macross 7 the movie, Macross 7 Dynamite, Macross 0...(did I forget one?)...

I dug Macross Plus and prequel Zero too, although they did not have the same impact or feel as the original. I have not seen Flashback or Macross 7 yet, but I fully intent to when time permits. But, when I do have time, i find myself addicted to these message boards like crack.

Looking back, I remember I had a VHS bootleg of DYRL. I watched it so much, I actually wore out the tape! Man, I feel like kid again just thinking about it.

I love Macross so much!

I know you will love DYRL too. Enjoy it! Watch it over and over again. They say it is impossible to wear out a DVD like I did the old VHS tapes, but damn it, I am going to try. :p

I loved DYRL.  It was mindblowing, both when I was a child and as an adult!  The series still moves me too.  But, I think the TV show was a more compelling than DYRL.  Do you remember love, as amazing as it is, feels like a Readers Digest Condensed version of the TV show, which I guess was the point, but it did not have the impact or depth the TV series had.  The anmimation however, is the best I have ever seen.  I have stills all over my office, and as much as people make fun of me for loving it so much, they all appreciate the intricate artwork.

What introduced me to the Genere, however, was Robotech.  I have read many fans on this site bash it, and a few who stand for it.  Let me say, that for what it was, and the ammount of time Carl Macek and crew had to pull that series together, it too is a testimate of all that is propitious.  Robotech will always have a place in my heart, being the first series that I was introduced to.  Heck, I find myself still referring to Macross characters by their Robotech names.  Robotech is still fun for me as an adult. But as I am getting older, I find myself drawn more to the origial Macross saga over its American counterpart. 

Macross has more milage than Robotech too.  Sure, Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles is due out on the 32nd of this month, but Macross has so many spin offs...and rightfully so.  The universe can be endless, there is so much material to explore.  Macross TV, DYRL, Flashback, Macross II, Macross II the movie, Macross Plus, Macross Plus the Movie, Macross 7, Macross 7 the movie, Macross 7 Dynamite, Macross 0...(did I forget one?)...

I dug Macross Plus and prequel Zero too, although they did not have the same impact or feel as the original.  I have not seen Flashback or Macross 7 yet, but I fully intent to when time permits.  But, when I do have time, i find myself addicted to these message boards like crack. 

Looking back, I remember I had a VHS bootleg of DYRL.  I watched it so much, I actually wore out the tape!  Man, I feel like  kid again just thinking about it. 

I love Macross so much! 

I know you will love DYRL too.  Enjoy it!  Watch it over and over again.  They say it is impossible to wear out a DVD like I did the old VHS tapes, but damn it, I am going to try.  :p

380390[/snapback]

That is probably the best Robotech ( notice I wrote it correct for a change) anaolgy I have ever seen.

It`s true most of us here cut our Mecha Teeth on Robotech. But now that I have seen all the true Macross etc it is nothing but nostalgic for me when I get out the Rowboatheck dvds.

I hope that the Shadow Chronicles will hopefully bring new audiences to Macross and also then kick start someone into making more Macross series. After all Zero was like 3 years ago, we want more.....

Have not seen the original Macross yet, but do the male and female giants fight like that in the series too?  Also why are the alerts in english?

376373[/snapback]

Because there were American and British and other people from different countries that got trapped on the Macross when folded from Earth DUUUUHHH!!! <_<

But after 12 dozen times in 90% of all sci-fi video games and movies, it's high time the aliens started explaining this irrational obsession they ahve with Earth.

It's the same reason why when the Transformers movie came out, people who don't know who all the robots are can see that it was obviously aimed at an audience who were already familiar/attached to/knew who all the characters were, so it is hard for a fan of the franchise to see it from a non-fan perspective as a critic of the movie on it's own merits. They are too busy going: "That looks so cool who cares about details"

there are many good points brought up here about why the transformers movie sucks for someone who doesn't know or is not attached to any of the characers in the show:

http://members.tripod.com/~repowers/manic/s-movie.html

A non fan can see the flaws in a movie that a fan might not be able to.

The same applies to DYRL where all this explanation is necessary for people who did not see the tv series. Sure, DYRL is a work of beauty but it isn't perfect. I still hold that the tv series, for this reason, is important for getting a broader picture of what's going on and why stuff is happening. Its a great retelling of the tv series, but details about why they are the only ship left alive, why the ship turns into a robot, and why the culture shock even worked are important upon closer scrutiny. But from a fan perspecitive I love it just as much as the next guy for the animation quality and detail alone. (much easier to watch over and over again than the tv series that is for sure)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

It's the same reason why when the Transformers movie came out, people who don't know who all the robots are can see that it was obviously aimed at an audience who were already familiar/attached to/knew who all the characters were, so it is hard for a fan of the franchise to see it from a non-fan perspective as a critic of the movie on it's own merits. They are too busy going: "That looks so cool who cares about details"

there are many good points brought up here about why the transformers movie sucks for someone who doesn't know or is not attached to any of the characers in the show:

http://members.tripod.com/~repowers/manic/s-movie.html

A non fan can see the flaws in a movie that a fan might not be able to.

And fans can see flaws that a non-fan can't.

Like "THEY KILLED PRIME WTF?!?!?!"

Of course, the Transformers TV series wasn't exactly a glorious symbol of all that is good in script-writing either. The series existed to sell toys. The movie existed to sell new toys by "killing" the old ones.

The series existed to sell toys. The movie existed to sell new toys by "killing" the old ones.

381571[/snapback]

To bring a StarTrekisum ( im not sure thats actually a word) The klingon way to being a captain is to kill your predessor.

Sure the Transformers tv series was there as a way to sell products. Think of them as just 20 minute adverts. It worked as they were best selling toy in the U.K for 3 years.

If I remember they were knocked off the top by another Hasbro/Takara line.

Edited by big F

The series existed to sell toys. The movie existed to sell new toys by "killing" the old ones.

381571[/snapback]

To bring a StarTrekisum ( im not sure thats actually a word) The klingon way to being a captain is to kill your predessor.

Yeah.

Sure the Transformers toy line was there as a way to sell products. Think of them as just  20 minute adverts. it work as theyb were best selling toy in the U.K for 3 years.

If I remember they were knocked off the top by another Hasbro/Takara line.

381639[/snapback]

Well, the Transformers were also a kickass idea. I mean, really... toy cars and planes that turn into toy robots. It was like taking the 2 best toy concepts ever and mixing them together.

I think that's waht carried them over HeMan, GIJoe, and everything else.

It's kind of sad, really. I was thinking about it, and my childhood's claim to fame is the commercialization of childern's entertainment.

They were just edging into it when I was little. There were lots of toys without cartoons, and lots of cartoons without toys. Now it seems most children's shows are selling something, and good luck getting on a toy shelf without a cartoon.