Katana Vs Gun

Twoducks

Just wanted to share a pair of cool videos,

See a katana blade split a bullet in two:

Vs Gun

Video where they pit a katana blade against a bigass machine gun.

Vs Machine Gun

Heard once that japanese steel wasn't very good. Is this true? This videos show that it can take some punishment.

Handgun bullets and rifle bullets make a difference.

I'm betting the handgun bullet fired was just a plain old lead bullet. Soft metal. Cut in two no problem, even though the sword probably needed a hell of a cleaning and may have suffered some structural damage.

Those rifle bullets looked like they had some kind of harder metal core deep inside the lead. Probably copper, but possibly steel. Plus they were using a fricking machinegun and didn't fire just one bullet, but a stream.

Copper is not used as a core, to my knowledge, but most bullets have copper jackets.

For the record, the handgun was a 1911, so .45 ACP most likely, and the machine gun was a Browning M2HB in .50 BMG.

Edited by mbs357

That deuce was most likely shooting normal .50 cal ammo, lead core with a copper jacket. That is all that is "legal" to use in war according to the Hauge and Geneva conventions and when it comes to belted .50 cal ammo that is about all you can find. The power of the .50 caliber round comes from the sheer mass of gunpowder behind the bullet. The funny thing is that only about 25% of the rounds fired actually hit the katana... an M2 is a "field of fire" weapon which releases a large beaten zone of bullet impacts. "Aiming" with Ma Deuce is pretty much a point and click sort of thing... point it at the target and push in the spade... then hold it on target. Even at that close range you can see on their backstop a trashcan lid size beaten zone.

Uncle Sucker let me play with a deuce when I was in the army, they are very, very mean weapons... designed to take out light and medium vehicles. I am not suprised in the least that it blew that katana away with room to spare, I've seen M2's cut down trees. Them putting a katana up against Ma Duece is like them putting a compact car up against an 18 wheeler in a head-on crash.

Strangely enough, I have seen that video too... :o

I never got to fire Ma Deuce when I was in the Army, but I did get to fire it's short, fat little cousin, the MK19. Think same gun, but different ammo, it fires 40MM grenades.. :lol:

I wonder what the Katana would have done to 40 mike mike? :rolleyes: