Valkyrie Profile 2

Eh, they all look like they're basically filming the PSP at close range and are sending that to the TV. I want direct video feed from the PSP's own signal. (Which I expect will never happen).

Any chance the PS3 will get a PSP player, like the GC has GBA player? And not needing a screen should make a PSP player quite a bit cheaper than a PSP. And if the PS3 could accept UMD discs, it wouldn't even need a separate disc holder... A PSP player for the PS3 could be little more than a microchip and a plug.

Valkyrie Profile 2 images .

Translation (Babelfish) :

Valkyrie Profiles 2 images

Square Enix reveals in the Japanese magazine Famitsu the first images of Valkyrie Profiles 2 on PlayStation 2 whose exit is planned for the next year in Japan. This second opus of the series developed by the tri-Ace studio will be préquelle whose events proceed a few hundred years before Valkyrie Profiles first of the name. Square Enix should reveal besides its play at the time of Jump Festa 2006 which will be held December the 17 and 18 nearest in Japan.

Valkyrie Profile 2 images .   

Translation (Babelfish) : 

Valkyrie Profiles 2  images 

Square Enix reveals in the Japanese magazine Famitsu the first images of Valkyrie Profiles 2 on PlayStation 2 whose exit is planned for the next year in Japan. This second opus of the series developed by the tri-Ace studio will be préquelle whose events proceed a few hundred years before Valkyrie Profiles first of the name. Square Enix should reveal besides its play at the time of Jump Festa 2006 which will be held December the 17 and 18 nearest in Japan.

352387[/snapback]

THE GAMEPLAY IS INTACT!

COMBO GAUGE AND EVERYTHING!

BUTTON MASHERS OF THE WORLD REJOICE!

2 new gauges... I hope they don't complicate things excessively.

Not a big fan of the 3D characters, but the backgrounds look nice. I hope they keep it to sidescroller maps, though.

I was amazed at how similar it looked to the first--which is great, because the first one had the most fun RPG battling ever.

The only thing I'd want for the new one is for mages to have just a little bit more to do while waiting for their gauge to recharge--they always "sat out" 3/4 of the rounds.

Hmmn, will Simeria have Nibelung Valesti, or something totally different? Both sword and bow? Or maybe reverse of Lenneth---spear normally, with a sword for specials.

This is even whetting my appetite more for the first game. I hope my VP1 copy starts shipping off soon to ME!!!! Most expensive game I've bought so far...$100 USD.

I always like to play the "origin" game of any series to see how the game develops not only in story line, but as well as new ideas and concepts brought into sequels.

I was amazed at how similar it looked to the first--which is great, because the first one had the most fun RPG battling ever. 

Have you played Tales of Destiny? IMO, it's every bit as fun.

The only thing I'd want for the new one is for mages to have just a little bit more to do while waiting for their gauge to recharge--they always "sat out" 3/4 of the rounds. 

Could slap 'em with seagulls. :p

Once you get mental reaction they have a lot more to do, just because they can act every other turn. A lot more reliable than running up combos and hoping the mages pulled enough purple gems.

Hmmn, will Simeria have Nibelung Valesti, or something totally different?  Both sword and bow?  Or maybe reverse of Lenneth---spear normally, with a sword for specials.

I hope diffrent. Not that Nibelung Valesti wasn't awesome(second form = favorite. The energy glops added onto form 3 didn't really do anything for me), but I'd like to see something fresh.

Aside from just being something new, it'd emphasize the diffrence between valkyries.

Hmmm... that makes me think... they can recycle a fair bit of cast based on what I saw of the Hrist backstory.

Who do we want to see preincarnated? I'm voting for Aelia. She was one of my favorite characters, and I was kinda disappointed that her backstory wasn't developed to any degree.

Crap, tri-Ace pulled a lot of stuff off their site with the redesign. Was gonna yank some of the old artwork down.

Not that I can't find it elsewhere, it'll just take a hair more effort now.

I find the Tales series vastly inferior to VP. I keep playing them, hoping they'll be somewhat similar battle-wise (or plot or music-wise)---but they're not. I truly hate AI. I can do better with one single button, than the CPU can do with a character's entire abilities list and perfect timing. Kingdom Hearts would have been better (and I swear easier) if it was Sora alone---Goofy and Donald just wasted my items at an insane rate. (I'd give them some for bosses only, otherwise the entire stock was mine and mine alone)

VP=best battling ever. No AI-controlled party will come close.

I've only played Tales of Phantasia for SNES emu. It was fun, though, I really didn't get very far. I should pick up on it some time (most likely after beating VP for like the 5th time).

Still some of the best lines ever:

"Arche, I bet she fu©ks like a tiger"

I find the Tales series vastly inferior to VP.  I keep playing them, hoping they'll be somewhat similar battle-wise (or plot or music-wise)---but they're not.  I truly hate AI.  I can do better with one single button, than the CPU can do with a character's entire abilities list and perfect timing.  Kingdom Hearts would have been better (and I swear easier) if it was Sora alone---Goofy and Donald just wasted my items at an insane rate.  (I'd give them some for bosses only, otherwise the entire stock was mine and mine alone)

VP=best battling ever.  No AI-controlled party will come close.

352505[/snapback]

VP's battle engine is fun, but simplistic.

I love the raw STYLE you can inject into a fight.

And the overattack indicator has been known to send me into a frantic button-mashing fit as I try to get a sluggish combo gauge up before the end of the turn, just so I can chain killer moves on my already defeated foe(especially if I can get great magic into the chain).

Yes, I AM the guy that has lost to bosses in Megaman because he had to kill them with a megabuster shot(Hmmm... we're both at one pellet, one hit with anything will kill either of us, he's going into attack animation now... let's change to the peashooter and charge it!).

For genuine depth of combat, I prefer something with a little more complexity, though VP is definitely fun.

Most of my favorite RPGs aren't menu-driven. If the game had been done by ANYONE else, I'd've been annoyed that it didn't stick with the Symphony of the Night style of play evoked by stabbing enemies to enter battle.

tri-Ace is one of the few companies that can make menus an enjoyable experience, though.

I genuinely don't understand how people can have so many problems with AI characters. Mine have always behaved fairly rationally.

But for the record, I think that the Tales series peaked at Destiny.

I can only judge the english games, but SNES Phantasia is TOO simplistic for my tastes, and "Destiny 2" gets just complicated enough to suck most of the fun out of the fights, IMO. Destiny lands right at a warm fuzzy spot in the middle. It's like Goldilocks, only with swords and fireballs!

Haven't played Symphonia yet, but I gather it's a lot like Star Ocean 2. Which isn't a BAD thing, but it's not as much fun with the wider battlefields slowing everything down(a lot of my fun in the SO games comes from the out-of-combat stuff).

And as worthless trivia: The Tales of Phantasia team left Namco after ToP and formed tri-Ace. Hence why Star Ocean feels so much like Tales with a 2D battlefield.

Still some of the best lines ever:

"Arche, I bet she fu©ks like a tiger"

352521[/snapback]

*chuckles*

DeJap took a LOT of flak over some parts of that translation(the amount of bitching people will do over some huorous inn names is amazing).

But it was still a pretty decent job. And heck, being able to tell what's going on kicks ass.

From jeux-france :

Valkyrie Profile 2 reveals itself

Square Enix and tri-Ace put on line this first series the visual ones of Valkyrie Profiles 2 on PlayStation 2. Waited for the current of the year 2006 in Japan, Valkyrie Profiles 2 will carry out us in the skin of Silmeria, young young lady having various physical capacities, although mainly gifted for the control of the Photon. Taking again a system of play similar to the first shutter, Valkyrie Profiles 2 should reserve to us her batch of surprised with in particular the presence of graphics much more impressive.

Seeing as how Lenneth is a hidden boss in just about every Tri-Ace game since the first VP, I fully expect her to show up in some bonus dungeon. (Story-wise, I don't think she should appear at all, based on the whole one valkyrie "awake" at a time thing) Hrist maybe, but definitely not Lenneth.

Hmmn, Photon. Think we'll have some sort of light-magic for puzzles, as opposed to Lenneth's ice crystals?

I think I should stop reading this thread.

I feel now a majority of my enjoyment is spoiled. :(

I'm only almost done chapter 1.

A few questions about the first game:

1. I seem to only be getting a max of 54 hits when I use the combo of Arngrim, Valk, and Belenus. When Jelanda comes into play, her Fire storm attack helps with a 40 some hit, and reaching 100 is easier.

Basically, I've timed my attacks to coincide with when the enemy is about to fall I set them off. I must be doing something wrong. I've gone through the pratice mode to see which combos work, but I'm having a hell of a tough time. Also, that Llewelyn is a real wimp, even after getting his traits over 40 and his Attack strength stats up. He barely does much....herm.

2. I've only seen Valk do that SUPER attack once where once she's done her regular routine, she then jumps in the air and flies with her wings, and shoots a mighty arrow into the enemy. Now that is cool. How to do that? I guess that was the final 4th chained attack, but now I can't remember. It happened when I was fighting the first real boss. Herm...

(Sorry for derailing...gomen ne...)

Do you mean 54 hits or 54 percent? There's a difference---are you trying to get extreme combos or fill up the gauge in the corner? (They're related but the numbers aren't equal) While many people like Arngrim due to his sheer power, I alway found him worthless for filling up the guage or comboing. Aelia really rocks, BTW. I use her instead of Arngrim. Lenneth+fast comboer+heavy striker+mage is always a good mix, and my best parties are always mixes of those. (Because some enemies are killed best by breaking through their defense with heavy powerful hits, while with others it's far better to pummel with sheer number of hits) There's one enemy that had such a trick to it I could NEVER kill it, and always used my very few "instant death" gems on them. (There's only like 3 in the game, only show up if going for the "A" ending)

Also---Lenneth's final attack will vary depending upon what's equipped(there's not a whole lot of difference, but you will notice it's more elaborate with really good weapons), but like all supers can only be activated once the gauge in the corner has hit 100%.

I haven't played in like 18 months or more, kind of going on memory. So many little timing details and combo nuances fade...

Yes, I meant when the circle reaches 100%, it's seems quite hard to reach it now...strange. But then perhaps since my guys are about level 6/7 that the first dungeon, Artolia, has extremely easy guys, so maybe I tend to kill them easily, maybe that's why the computer will know and adjust accordingly.

I usually go:

Lenneth --> Jelanda --> Arngrim --> Belenus. I go by the order of how many attacks they have in their combo. Lenneth has a lot so it will refill back to 100 easily, same with Jelanda's fire storm, arngrim's final attack does a few hits, hopefully to get it back to 100, then finish off with a one final hit from belenus.

Also, is there any reason to do a 3 or 4 link chain attack even when the target is already dead? Unless you REALLY have a beef with that litte small fry.

Also, is there any reason to do a 3 or 4 link chain attack even when the target is already dead?  Unless you REALLY have a beef with that litte small fry.

Well... if you have a mage with a staff that enables great magic, and use them last, you can do utterly MASSIVE damage to every enemy in the field.

Beyond that, it's just for style. :D

But style aside, don't go overboard unless it's the final guy on the field, because you've got charge points to worry about.

Don't worry about not getting 100% at this point---it's not really needed, and hard to do with the characters you have. Arngrim, Jelanda, and Belanus are the first 3 people I get rid of. :)

Later, you'll have the characters and timing/tweaking to fill it to 100% multiple times per round, and combo the supers themselves.

My fave characters: Yumei, Aelia, Jun. Mystina to replace Yumei if storyline allows.

Note: The game will randomly pick 1 of 3 paths for you to acquire characters(regardless of which ending/path you choose for the story). Sometimes "character X" will show up in chapter 2, sometimes it'll take until chapter 5. So you can never plan exactly what your party will be, as it WILL vary from game to game. It can take a while before you get a mage you really like or a combo machine guy---or you could get them next!

Seeing as I'm going to be entering Lezard's temple soon near the end of chapter 4, and recruit the new mage, I'm pumped. I'm glad I've got the chance now to play the original, since I flipping love this game. Yes $130 CDN in total was HELL to pay, but in the end, I'll have to stick with it.

Now I'm looking forward to the new games even more.

However....why oh why won't they make Lenneth for PS2 as well. ;_;

It'd sell a hell of a lot, but then I guess my original would be redundant.

Edited by Spatula

Seeing as I'm going to be entering Lezard's temple soon near the end of chapter 4, and recruit the new mage, I'm pumped.  I'm glad I've got the chance now to play the original, since I flipping love this game.  Yes $130 CDN in total was HELL to pay, but in the end, I'll have to stick with it.

Now I'm looking forward to the new games even more.

However....why oh why won't they make Lenneth for PS2 as well.  ;_;

It'd sell a hell of a lot, but then I guess my original would be redundant.

356918[/snapback]

Because odds are good the PSP port was a contractural obligation.

As I understand things, Sony's had to blackmail a lot of developers into making PSP games by refusing them other things unless they agree to make X number of PSP games. So the PSP is getting a lot of quick&dirty ports because companies are trying to fulfill that obligation as fast as possible.

Spatula---are you playing on hard/going for the A ending? Lezard's tower isn't even a dungeon IIRC playing "normally". I really suggest you see the regular ending first, then replay on hard, go for the A ending, and see everything else.

Spatula---are you playing on hard/going for the A ending?  Lezard's tower isn't even a dungeon IIRC playing "normally".  I really suggest you see the regular ending first, then replay on hard, go for the A ending, and see everything else.

356944[/snapback]

I'd say play on hard even if you're going for the B ending(which he'll pr'ly hit if he's just playing, and not yanking walthroughs down off GameFAGs or something similar).

More characters, more items, and just all around more fun. :D

Edited by JB0

I'm following one of the gamefaqs very closely and printed off like 30 some pages back to back. my seal rating keeps popping up since I keep transfering 1 chara per chapter. I killed brahms which was a real waste since you don't get any exp, and lezard as well.

Dude, Lezard's tower wasn't exactly a walk in the park on normal difficulty, even my dragon slayer got busted, and I'm keeping the other tucked in safely. The Beast slayer is good too, but I keep that for reserve.

yeah the real problem is getting the seal rating down... since it pops up everytime you transfer someone. Even taking off the Nieblum ring doesn't really do much, besides -2 to seal rating each time you see Odin. I'm at about 78 some seal rating and just completed Lezarts tower. That crazy HORNY HARRY POTTER WANNABE.

Oh...double post. Too lazy to edit here.

From the preview posted by Black Valkyrie, it looks like the PSP version will have new cut scenes in CG and real actors, LOL the Cos-play valk looked rather goofy. But I liked her slaying those skull spirits in the Weeping Meadow part. I did that in the 1st chapter.

"Why are these spirits near this tomestone?"...or something of that effect.

Thinking of it now. VP isn't exactly portable friendly. You've got 1 save point somewhere at the beginning, and then 30-45 minutes later, another save point for this game, so unless you're in the backseat of a car for a long time, I'm not sure about the feasibility of playing a long type RPG on a portable console, again I don't have a PSP and I don't know really what type of games are on it.

Plus, VP looks better (well most any other games) on a big screen, so the huge PWS actually look cool and not dumbed down to a small screen. Hmph.

Edited by Spatula

Oh...double post.  Too lazy to edit here.

From the preview posted by Black Valkyrie, it looks like the PSP version will have new cut scenes in CG and real actors, LOL the Cos-play valk looked rather goofy.  But I liked her slaying those skull spirits in the Weeping Meadow part.  I did that in the 1st chapter.

I think the real actor is just the japanese being wierd with commercials.

Thinking of it now. VP isn't exactly portable friendly.  You've got 1 save point somewhere at the beginning, and then 30-45 minutes later, another save point for this game, so unless you're in the backseat of a car for a long time, I'm not sure about the feasibility of playing a long type RPG on a portable console, again I don't have a PSP and I don't know really what type of games are on it.

PSP has a suspend mode. You can kill it anywhere and come back to it at the exact same spot. So saving's not really a problem, as I understand it.

After having seen the upcoming VP2 stuff, as well as reading what everyone has been saying about the original, I was very disappointed and pissed that A) I missed it when it was originally released and B) that it costs a bundle now, but.......

.....I'm thankful that I modded my PSX a long time ago to play Macross VFX and Votoms games because I found a torrent with VP and was able to get it to work! Hopefully will work all the way through, but my question to the redient pros here are:

-- Will I be able to jump in without the instructions? I'm sure it has a 'basic training' at the beginning, right?

-- Or does anyone know of a site with booklet pics.

My wife will not be happy if this works out.......more playing + less sleep = grumpy GC! :D:lol:

-- Will I be able to jump in without the instructions? I'm sure it has a 'basic training' at the beginning, right?

Yes. You don't really need to know anything before you start.

My wife will not be happy if this works out.......more playing + less sleep = grumpy GC!  :D  :lol:

358127[/snapback]

Which is more important, your wife or a tri-Ace game? :p