Koenig Missile Hatches!

Sundown

I finally figured out what the missile matches on the Yamato Koenig's arms are supposed to be... I'd always thought they were some sort of single missile launcher, but the design just looked weird and wacky with the missle on the Yamato toy sort of just suspended and attached to the missle hatch. Not to mention the strangeness of concealed single missile launchers on a gigantic destroid bristling with guns.

But turns out that they not actually missile launchers-- they're actually supposed to be ammo loading ports for the arm cannons/launchers! When you close the hatch, the missile/shell actually lines up with the tube that forms the top most barrel on the arm, and it looks as if the missile/shell could travel down the length of the barrel as part of the arm launcher's firing or loading operation. I think it's supposed to be a detail that showed how the arm guns worked, and how the ammo's loaded, but too bad Yamato sort of abandoned the feature, and just decided to slather glue on the hinges of half of the toys produced.

If everyone's already figured out what these hatches were, then just smack me. I've just now figured out what they were actually supposed to do. :p

-Al

I always wondered how those "missle launchers" were supposed to launch anything. I just took it as what everyone said. Missle Launchers. I sorta thought that it may be ejection ports for shells fired from the hand cannons. :p

No. It is a single missile launcher for when the VB-6 is in Shuttle mode. Interesting idea, but sorry, this has been confirmed and everything...

EDIT: Not trying to come off overly harsh, it's just rather impressive how many comments and queries there are about the stupid pop up launchers that Yamato tarted up...

Edited by promethuem5

No.  It is a single missile launcher for when the VB-6 is in Shuttle mode.  Interesting idea, but sorry, this has been confirmed and everything...

EDIT:  Not trying to come off overly harsh, it's just rather impressive how many comments and queries there are about the stupid pop up launchers that Yamato tarted up...

348485[/snapback]

Is it documented somewhere? Cause it just doesn't seem like the missle launchers really "fit" in with the rest of the design, but I'd never considered that they would be useful as defense in shuttle mode. It just seemed silly for such a huge mecha to be protected by a couple of single missle launchers, but then again, they'd be pretty big missiles.

Are the arm cannons a beam cannon of some sort? Cause if they are, that pretty much blows away my theory.

I know what you all mean about WTF are they supposed to be.. if they DID something instead of popping off and then having the owner spend half an hour trying to snap them back on while viciously swearing then I would understand.

The game doesn't help, you don't get to see anything open or close when the thing's firing. except for the rail guns :(

hell, even the gunpods were quite the mystery too, since everything just kinda shoots from the same place :huh:

I agree on "it's a launcher", but i'm leaning towards grenade, not missile :)

Okay, according to the Macross Compendium, it looks like the hatches are auxiliary launch hatches for when the Koenig is in shuttle mode, but they're part of the same system as the arm missile cannons, and they fire from the same payload. This explains why they appear to line up with the first missile cannon's tube.

And according to the compendium, the arm missile launchers can actually extend while in shuttle mode in order to make all six launcher barrels available, if need be.

Edited by Sundown

The monster actually has a gunpod? Or are you talking about the little gun in its chest?

I'd like to know whether the rail guns can shoot horizontally in battroid mode like the sdf1 in attack mode? Or does the battroid mode only fire them standing up whenever there is a enemy mecha drop from the sky? (ie maybe that's what that big sensor on it forehead is?) I think this would be handy defence aboard a ship where the enemy is attacking from above.

And what is the purpose of the claws in battroid mode? The battroid mode is the most mysterious to me. :D

Can the monster do boost assisted jumps and stuff? Can it actually run and change modes mid air? Does it land in gerwalk mode and that is why it doesn't need a landing gear?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yup, it's got gunpods :lol: the game animation shows them firing in tandem, 1 from each arm.

I forget if they also work in Gerwalk mode, but they're definitely there in Destroid mode :lol:

The rail guns won't fire unless it's in Gerwalk :(

EDIT:

From what I remember, you can pretty much do all the acrobatic stuff like say, a VF 1, but it's pretty slow.

And the game soved the landing gear problem by simply switching to gerwalk if you get too close to the ground :o

Edited by UN_MARINE