Thinking Of Getting A Hasegawa Display Stand

Spatula

Well, I knew this day was coming that since I decided to put the landing gears up on the Valkyrie, that somehow I'd have to prop it up.

I've thought of going to a trophy shop and getting a wooden plaque and then getting a glass rod, but I think that's beyond my capabilities for now.

A much cheaper and quicker alternative is to use the Hasegawa 1/72 Valk Stands.

My question is, how nice do these look? I know they'll do the job of holding it up, but are they steady and well crafted? Do they complement the look of the Valkyrie of just get in the way?

I'll probably order from Hobby Link Japan sometime. This one...when it's back instock.

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG12

I'll probably prop up my Super Ostrich on one of these as well. The custom display base will have to wait for sometime.

This is my reasoning:

I don't really want to start drilling holes into my valkyrie and forever glue the display flight stand to it, sometimes I might want to take the valkyrie off the display and look under it etc. Before I thought it was a great idea to permanently glue the Valk to the display stand, but now I'm thinking a bit different. Surely I'm not treating them as a toy...but ya know. ;)

My question is, how nice do these look?  I know they'll do the job of holding it up, but are they steady and well crafted? Do they complement the look of the Valkyrie of just get in the way?

347526[/snapback]

The Hasegawa stands are mostly steady and well-built. The side supports slide into one of three different positions on the crossbeam to accomodate different models, so they can get loose if you move them around lot when swapping out models (like I've done). They are molded in one colour, so a paint job spices them up a bit and helps complement the model better. Since they slide under the wings for most of the VF kits (only the YF-21/VF-22 kits had them in the engines instead), they do block the view of the side of the engines a little, which is why painting helps them look more like they belong together.

I've gotten tricky with my gear-up stands.

Acrylic rod (never glass), neobium magnets, base.

Drill out the end of the acrylic rod to accept one of the magents, secure with super glue. Find the CG of the model and glue the second magent a bit in front of that point (this will make the model sit on it's butt a wee bit). Now the tricky part. Shape the end of the acylic rod to match the profile of where the magnet iside the model is. This will help the craft not spin as easily on the magnets.

Make sure the end of the acrylic rod is as smooth as you can make it to avoid damaging the finsih on the model.

Fun eh? You can get acrylic rod fairly cheap at USPastics.

I've gotten tricky with my gear-up stands.

Acrylic rod (never glass), neobium magnets, base.

Drill out the end of the acrylic rod to accept one of the magents, secure with super glue. Find the CG of the model and glue the second magent a bit in front of that point (this will make the model sit on it's butt a wee bit). Now the tricky part. Shape the end of the acylic rod to match the profile of where the magnet iside the model is. This will help the craft not spin as easily on the magnets.

Make sure the end of the acrylic rod is as smooth as you can make it to avoid damaging the finsih on the model.

Fun eh? You can get acrylic rod fairly cheap at USPastics.

347577[/snapback]

That sounds like a neat idea. I might have to try it.