Some Advice

Nied

So I just bought a brand new 1/48 Millia VF-1J, my first 1/48, and of course it rocks! But I'm thinking that since I spent this much money on it why not have it in style and put Anasazi's water-slide decals and a light wash to pick out the panel lines. Now it's been a while since I did any modeling so I thought I would get a little advice. SO a couple of questions:

Normally I'd lay down a clear gloss base coat so that the decals would adhere better, but the Yamato is so flat it's almost textured, can I get away with using some setting solution and applying the decals directly to the plastic?

What's a good wash? I was planning on thinning some model master black acrylic, but would that be too dark?

Should I put down a clear coat to seal everything in, and if so should I partially or fully disassemble the model first? How thick should it be if I wanted a satin finish (keeping in mind the aforementioned textured finish).

Edited by Nied

I've never used waterslide decals or clearcoated a transforming toy (others can add their input for this), but...

If you're gonna play with it - and I imagine you'd want to if it's your only 1/48 - why not pen or pencil panel lines and use Anasazi's or Takatoy's stickers? I've had good results with Pigma black micron pens for panel lines on darker plastic, and a 0.3mm pencil for white plastic. The Takatoy stickers I used on my 1/48 Roy are great, and I don't have to worry about a lacquer coat yellowing, chipping, or getting dirty from handling.

If you're only gonna display, options are wide open for finishing, and I'll let other chime in on that.

Sorry for the piss-poor night pics (taken when kids were asleep), but here's an example of Pigma pen lines on fastpacks and a 0.3mm pencil on white plastic. Takatoy stickers throughout. I imagine a Pigma pen would work well for Millia's ride.

(updated with some better shots)

pigma on fastpacks

0.3mm pencil on fighter

0.3mm pencil on fighter2

Edited by ghostryder

Well I know the micron pens work on Yammies. You can also use Gundam pen. These come in more colours than are really sensible. I recently did my 1\48 Roy with thinned down Tamiya Flat black. That works I used it also on my custom 1/55`s The Gundam pens sometimes blead a bit when you use lacquer well at least mine did on my Millia conversion.

Burnt Umber would be a more realistic colour to use but at the end of it its your choice on the colour.

Im looking at posibly using eaither water slide or Anasazi's stickers.

But Im also not sure which to go for.

Mines not a toy and is locked in my display cabinet so longevity is not a problem.

I'm definitely going to be playing with mine so that is a consideration (if I wasn't I might just apply Anasazi's decals directly, put a wash on and be done with it.) I'd love to hear from some people who've clear coated theirs on what kind of durability they got (and whether they used lacquer or an acrylic).

I'm definitely going to be playing with mine so that is a consideration (if I wasn't I might just apply Anasazi's decals directly, put a wash on and be done with it.)   I'd love to hear from some people who've clear coated theirs on what kind of durability they got (and whether they used lacquer or an acrylic).

347070[/snapback]

I've used Anasazi's waterslide decals on a 1/48 custom with great results. You can spray or brush on a coat of Future (floor "wax"), which is an acrylic. Next, place the decals, and let them dry. Then, apply another coat of Future over the decals, followed by spraying on a flat coat of your choice.

If you're going to be handling the Valkyrie extensively, then be liberal with the Future. Mine's held up great after rough handling.

I used Anasazi's low-vis decals for this one.

post-1617-1132798037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wicked Ace

I've used Anasazi's waterslide decals on a 1/48 custom with great results.  You can spray or brush on a coat of Future (floor "wax"), which is an acrylic.  Next, place the decals, and let them dry.  Then, apply another coat of Future over the decals, followed by spraying on a flat coat of your choice.

If you're going to be handling the Valkyrie extensively, then be liberal with the Future.  Mine's held up great after rough handling.

I used Anasazi's low-vis decals for this one.

347094[/snapback]

That looks awfully good there Wicked Ace Did you put down a flat coat over the whole Valkyrie after you applied the future and decals? and if so see my question up at the top of the thread. I've used future in the past, but I've only ever dipped parts into it (and I've also used it on my floor). Would you recommend thinning it to paint or spray it on?

Edited by Nied

That looks awfully good there Wicked Ace  Did you put down a flat coat over the whole Valkyrie after you applied the future and decals?  and if so see my question up at the top of the thread.  I've used future in the past, but I've only ever dipped parts into it (and I've also used it on my floor).  Would you recommend thinning it to paint or spray it on?

347113[/snapback]

Yes, I applied a flat coat over the whole Valkyrie, as Future gives it a bright, shiny look (just as advertised for your floor). There's no need to thin the Future; if you'r nervous about applying Future, brush some on some spare parts, and you'll see that it's self-correcting.

Oh yeah, David Hingten gave you an awesome link. Thanks David! :)