Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire...

Mechamaniac

The religious fanatics need to pipe down; Harry Potter and Frodo Baggins are no more of a threat to any system of faith than my G.I. Joe space shuttle. They're just stories, and any relationship established between religion and those fantasies isn't intended.

-The church needs to worry more about finding a proper way to get their clergy off, so that they don't have to molest their little altar boys.

I suppose. But why would they care anyway? It's fiction, and they act as if their sheep, er, fellow parishoners might run off and join some Harry/Frodo based cult or something. It's harmless fiction that doesn't even make any attack, both obvious or subtle against any faith...

OK, just a question for the Pot(ter) Heads that this thread has raised.

Is Harry Potter a "wizzard" or a "witch"? And if he was a witch whould he not be a warlock? And if he was a Warlock would he be a short run light duty truck made by Dodge in the late '70s?

Seems all the hubub with Potter and the church is over them calling him a witch, claiming he promotes witchcraft and then they promptly burn him at the stake in good olde puritanical fashion.

But what of wizzards? When I think of a witch I think of fatass, black died hair with black lipstick and nail polish goth chick who worships the devil in her parent's basement because no one will go out with her... someone as dangerous to modern society and religion as a package of twinkies.

... on the other hand when I think wizzard I think of Gandalf... or some fat geek boy wearing a cloak his mom sewed him who worships Tolkien in his parent's basement because no one will go out with him... once again as dangerous to modern society and religion as Fruit Pie the Magician on your favorite hostess snacks.

I think religion is just pissed they don't own the rights to Harry Potter and would be making boatloads of tax free cash hand over fist. :ph34r:

Harry Potter is banned from my church so I cannot even touch it.

Hope you guys have fun with the movie.

347219[/snapback]

I hope your church won't ban Macross. That would quite a tough decision for you.

BTW, you didn't lose much for not wathcing HP4.

It sucks. That's how to destory a good story, gutted out all the interesting parts, kill the suspence plots, and leave only the mindless action scenes. The HP4 book is one of the best, it's on-par with HP3. But this is the worst HP movie.

I doubt any church dare to ban LoTR or the up coming Navarra movie,

although they all contain pretty much the same kind of magical stuffs.

The only difference between them is J.K.K.Tolkien and C.S.Lewis are well known christian writers, where J.K.Rowling is just a nobody (or was a nobody a few years ago)

If J.K.Rowling suddenly declare herself believe in God tomorrow, all the church critism on HP will disappear at once.

wizard.... like Gandalf with 1 Z... a wizzard is someone that can pee like no one else. :p Though he does ride a broom. The whole thing kinda mixes the world of Magick users; witches, wizards and basic magicians (Mages, not the smoke and mirrors type.) And I think they call any type of female magic users witches anyway, especially if they're old and croney.

Edited by >EXO<

wizard.... like Gandalf with 1 Z... a wizzard is someone that can pee like no one else. :p 

Does Harry Potter feature challenge pissing? Piss six feet straight up in the air and you have no down payment? :ph34r:

Anyway that settles the WiZard or witch thing then... back to the regularly scheduled Harry Potter Love/Bash fest!

Just watched it (yeah i'm slow), haven't read the books (probably never will) and i'll say that this movie felt the best between the 4 movies. The rest seemed so disjointed it wasn't funny.This one had only abit of disjointedness but overall done pretty well. Thumbs up.

And what i'm thinking the most of after the movie? Emma Watson in a ball dress. Mmmmmmmmmm..... *closet lolikon firing up* Damn that spunky attitude yet fragile attitude of Hermione gets me all Moe-ed. XD

Damn they grow up so fast >_<

I too am a bit late. I watched the movie the other day and it was good for the senseless action and adolescent quarrels. I didn't fall asleep through it like i did the first one, so the cinematography has definitely improved. IIRC they left out a whole bunch of stuff, but it's understandable based on the movie/book length ratio.

Also CS Lewis isn't Catholic, he's Christian, and yes there's a distinct difference; he actually used to be a great advocate of science and its studies before he discovered his faith.

And what i'm thinking the most of after the movie? Emma Watson in a ball dress. Mmmmmmmmmm..... *closet lolikon firing up* Damn that spunky attitude yet fragile attitude of Hermione gets me all Moe-ed. XD

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so....

And as for CS Lewis, I stand corrected. I thought he was an actual Catholic.... I now the difference between the two sort of being one myself :lol:

Also CS Lewis isn't Catholic, he's Christian, and yes there's a distinct difference; he actually used to be a great advocate of science and its studies before he discovered his faith.

348621[/snapback]

Actually, more properly, he's Protestant, and more specifically, he's Anglican. 'Christian' is a big label and encompuses both the Catholic and Protestant traditions, but Protestants and non-demoniational Christians tend to refer themselves primarily as Christians, while Catholics tend to refer to themselves as Catholics.

So technically, both are 'Christian' from an academic point of view. However, they might disagree between themselves how much of each tradition is truly 'Christian', ie. accurately represents and understands that all men have erred and are sinful, that they need the forgiveness of a God who's just and must judge wrongdoing, that this same loving God offered Jesus-- His Son, God as Man-- to receive the punishment man deserved in their place, that He was raised from death through God the Spirit, and that a faith and trust in Christ and what He has done restores the relationship with God the Father. They might also disgree on the specifics of what it means to live a lifestyle that reflects this faith.

There are also those that would consider themselves 'Christian', but disagree with one or more of these central beliefs, but they contrast with the consensus of mainstream Christianity and how Christianity has understood and defined itself through the ages.

For what it's worth, Lewis was good friends with Tolkien, who was Catholic, but Tolkien could never manage to get Lewis to "convert" to Catholicism. Lewis did, however, hold certain beliefs that came closer to the Catholic understanding, differing from the views held by his Anglican and Protestant background.

-Al

Thinking about LotR and Harry Potter I find it sad that we see student wizards cast and use more magic then a powerful wizard like Gandalf...I mean really what did we see him use of the arcane? I can count two examples, his slamming of the staff against the balrog in FotR and his "pretty bright light" spell he used to deter the Nazgul away from the retreating forces heading back to Mineth Tilus. At least Sauroman threw a fireball at Gandalf in the extended RotK!!! We see more swordplay then spells from Gandalf and that never really sat well with me.

Oh, and Lewis never stopped being an advocate of science, logic, and critical thinking-- although I don't know how much of an advocate of science he start out being. What he stopped being, after finding faith, is a materialist (if he ever was truly that in the first place) and a philosophical atheist that assumes all material explanations for human behavior labelled 'scientific' must be true.