Perfect Grade RX-78-2 Gundam build-up

Anubis

I just splurged and picked up a PG RX-78-2 Gundam today on ebay. Later I decided if I was going to do this I should get a custom set to go with it. I don't anticipate getting another PG Kit at this time, so I wanted a grand finale. My other PG's are the Char's Zaku II and Zeta Gundam. I was tempted by the Strike Gundam as well, but I'm already happy with the Metal Material Aile Strike I already have.

For those not familiar with it, the #2 Custom Set includes Right Arm and Leg clear armor pieces, a spare beam rifle, 2 bazookas, beam javelin, and the Gundam Hammer. I'll figure out what weapons I want to display it with after I finish building it.

post-514-1132093416.jpg

I'll do a proper build up thread this time with pics as I go along. I'm going to do my usual method of painting the parts runners first, then assembling. Hopefully the kits should arrive by the end of the week, and hopefully I'm not too swamped with school work to get started.

Edited by Anubis

very cool, i have you decided on a color scheme yet? or are you going to keep it close to the original.

chris

Edited by zeo-mare

Original scheme. I'll use the Tamiya cans again. Metallic Blue, Metallic Red, Pearl White. same colors I did the PG Zeta in. Might use the aluminum for the engines again, but I'm not sure about that yet.

I have a few leftover MG decals I should be able to use too. Not many, but a couple that might be useful. Preferably though I would like a water slide or dry transfer replacement marking sheet. I remember a site before that had at least water slides for the PG kits but I can't find it anymore. The closest alternative I can find so far is a water slide sheet intended for the OYW version Master grade kit.

Anyone know where to get a replacement sheet? If not I'll just use the 2 or 3 I can salvage from my old MG dry transfer sheet.

Edited by Anubis

I also found a MG ver. Ka sheet at gundamstoreandmore.com.

This one might be a possibility. I'm not looking to overkill the markings, but I at least want some EFSF and white base markings, which this one has. They might be a little smaller than the PG Stickers, but they should look fine.

post-514-1132119494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

No, you have to trim the waterslides youself like usual. I don't really mind that since I have scissors small enough. I don't think I've ever seen precut waterslides, though it would be helpful. I'm sure the regular stickers on the kit are precut, but after the zeta I won't use Bandai's stickers again. All I marked on the Zaku was a dry transfer Zeon emblem from a MG kit. I might actually get a waterslide for the Zaku too while I'm at it.

I wish I could find the PG decals again, they're probably pricey though.

Noooo! I found the store finally: Models 4U ... but it's CLOSED! :(

They even finally made the PG Zeta decals. :sniff:

Edited by Anubis

yea sadly Models4U is closed for the time being, I really need some decals for my gundams. i remember the decals i had for the 1/72 SV-51 were precut and all i had to do was stick them in water and i am looking for some like that again.

chris

Models4u's decals always looked very nice. It's a shame they're closed now for some reason.

Edited by Anubis

Has anyone used the Bandai waterslides before? How is the quality of them?

This would be my first time using water slide decals.

Edited by Anubis

Has anyone used the Bandai waterslides before?  How is the quality of them?

This would be my first time using water slide decals.

345208[/snapback]

I've used them on my MG Guncannon. In short: They're great! They lay down nicely, and respond well to setting solutions. They're also pre-cut, so no trimming required. If you're scared of making a mistake, the bandai logo on the bottom of the decal sheet is a decal, so you could practice using that one.

Oh, and if you're planning on using the Gundam Ver Ka. MG decals, don't. They're ment for the MG, which is 1:100. They'd be undersided on a PG, which is 1:60.

I know it's technically for 1/100. It might be smaller but might look ok anyway. The PG RX-78's stickers are smaller in scale to their model kit than what the 1/100 stickers were to that model so it shouldn't be too far off. I'm only using the larger decals anyway. None of those little triangles and such. I want the EFSF, WB102, and stuff like that. The ID markings.

In 1/100, the White base markings stretch the entire shoulder. The knee markings cover the whole knee.

post-514-1132156500_thumb.jpg

In PG form the markings are much smaller. Note how small the "WB" logos are on the PG.

post-514-1132156551_thumb.jpg

They fit a lot more in the PG's space. Thus when using the 1/100's marking on the PG it might very likely look similar when arranged right. I don't want the decals to overwhelm the kit either, so this might actualyl be for the best.

If these are pre-cut then GOLDEN. That helps quite a bit in that case. If you use the small markings (the triangles and little things) then it may well look funny, but the ID markings might carry over well.

Actually looking at the PG even the danger markings are smaller than I would have expected. Doesn't seem like they scaled the decals up that much did they?

The cigarrette box is also good for the scale comparison.

Edited by Anubis

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

I recied the kits and started work on them already. I painted the runners and started construction already.

Here's the boxes:

post-514-1132869731_thumb.jpg

post-514-1132869767_thumb.jpg

Ironically the Custome Set also included a sheet of Waterslide decals. I'll make use of some I'm sure but I'll wait to decal the model up until the other decals arrive and I can compare what will look better. The sheet it came with doesn't have anything for the shield, but it does have some for the core fighter.

post-514-1132869862_thumb.jpg

Here's some painted runners minus a red one

post-514-1132869972_thumb.jpg

For the black I used Metallic Black for the mechanics, and a Matte Black for the Weapons

post-514-1132870036_thumb.jpg

Here are the completed weapons:

post-514-1132870095_thumb.jpg

Core block and Core fighter:

post-514-1132870144_thumb.jpg

transforming

I like how when you rotate the cockpit part the tail fin is pulled down. The cockpit can even open.

post-514-1132870216_thumb.jpg

core fighter

post-514-1132870255_thumb.jpg

post-514-1132870298_thumb.jpg

Finished the Head and the right arm.

Head shots

post-514-1132870366_thumb.jpgpost-514-1132870381_thumb.jpgpost-514-1132870396_thumb.jpg

Right Arm internals and clear armor

post-514-1132870432_thumb.jpgpost-514-1132870451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

• 2 weeks later...

Mass updates:

Here are the complete arms:

post-514-1133679717_thumb.jpg

Leg and foot internals:

post-514-1133679752_thumb.jpgpost-514-1133679764_thumb.jpg

completed right clear leg:

post-514-1133679820_thumb.jpgpost-514-1133679831_thumb.jpgpost-514-1133679844_thumb.jpg

Hips:

post-514-1133679885_thumb.jpg

Torso:

post-514-1133679939_thumb.jpgpost-514-1133679960_thumb.jpg

Assembly complete!

post-514-1133680008_thumb.jpgpost-514-1133680019_thumb.jpgpost-514-1133680027_thumb.jpg

I love it. The clear parts from the custom set added a really nice something extra to the kit.

All that's left now is to apply some waterslide decals to it.

post-514-1133680065_thumb.jpg

I'm going to mostly use the Ver. KA markings with a few of the other ones. the other sheet also includes decals for the core fighter.

Speaking of core fighter, here's a pic for the heck of it with the core fighter on top of a Yamato 1/60 Cannon Fodder.

post-514-1133680168_thumb.jpg

I just managed to squeeze in the 3 PG models in one shelf of my cabinet. The HCM pro Zeta should fit next to the PG Zeta for wave rider. I had to take the KS Zeta out of the case.

hi nice loooking, i can see you have the full armor resin kit for it. i hope you can finish it up i would love to see finished pictures of it.

chris

This one is staying shiny new. I like shiny metallic. I still have to add the decals to it, which I'll do sometime during the week.

I also have no idea how to weather. I can spray paint parts runners, do touch up paint, and do panel lines. That is the extent of detailing I can handle. :lol:

I still have the non-clear parts in case I ever tire of the clear body. For now though I like it. It shows the internals nicely and it works as something new and different. It's kind of cool to show off the internals for once. Sometimes I think about getting another Zaku to display with the armor panels off.

Since this is the last PG I intend on building (for now anyway) I wanted to do something special. Hence the custom set.

Edited by Anubis

Definitely a nice job on the paint and assembly, Anubis. I just picked up a Gundam model myself. I'll probably use the same colors since I like how much it looks on the RX-78-2.

Doodler, yours looks great with that armor. Hope to see it done. You've got something great going there.

hi Anubis I was wondeing about the decals how good do they work? i have 2 sets right now but i wanted to find out from you first. i got some bandai decals a year or so ago (not gundam ones) and they fell all apart upon touching water. <_< how well do these work within water.

chris

I'm actually going to be experimenting with that today. I didn't have a chance to do it during the week. I think I know how I'm going to place them already I just need to sit and do it. I'm going to add a couple to the Char's Zaku PG as well.

Decals!

All done finally. The waterslides weren't bad. It takes a while to apply them but it wasn't too bad. Getting air bubbles and stuff out of the big decals is kind of hard. I ruined one of the shield decals. I still don't think the 2nd on came ot perfect (it should be 100% clear but it isn't) however it looks geat looking at the whole model. The waterslides adhere very nicely. I kind of like these things. they're time consuming and easy to ruin but not nearly as easy to ruin as dry transfers. These are what really shold be coming with the Perfect Grade kits.

Here are some pics of the now finished Gundam:

post-514-1134485220_thumb.jpgpost-514-1134485252_thumb.jpgpost-514-1134485266_thumb.jpg

You can't see it in the pic but I put a Fed cross emblem next the WB102 on the shoulder. They're the same height.

I also added a couple of decals to the PG Zaku. The Zeon emblem on the chest is a dry transfer I used initially, the rest are MG Zaku waterslides.

post-514-1134485457_thumb.jpgpost-514-1134485471_thumb.jpgpost-514-1134485487_thumb.jpg

One final shot of all 3 Perfect Grades on the shelf:

post-514-1134485535_thumb.jpgpost-514-1134486260_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

when you say they are easy to ruin, do they fall or flake apart? i just want to be careful when placing the ones i have on.

chris

They can fold easily if they come off the backing prematurely and then you have to striaghten them without tearing it.

If you're careful about sliding them off the backing and positioning them you should be ok. Just have to take your time.

If you let it float too long in water the decal can come off and then it's hard to save it if it gets away.

Edited by Anubis