Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

areaseven

Best Gaming Platform of All-Time  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Best Gaming Platform of All-Time

• Microsoft XBOX
    • Nintendo Entertainment System (Family Computer)
    • Nintendo Super NES (Super Famicom)
    • Nintendo GameCube
    • Sega Dreamcast
    • Sega Genesis (MegaDrive)
    • Sega Saturn
    • SNK Neo-Geo
    • Sony PlayStation/PlayStation 2
    • Other (Please Specify)

I want a system that plays games, not a system that doubles as a microwave oven, swiss army knife, telephone, airplane and car. <_<

Hey now, I still want my 1969 COPO Camaro PS3 next year! :lol:

;) I would buy that!!

Actually the First "console" I had was the Phillips CDI. Back in 1992 I think it was. We had to have "educational games". That however didn't last to long.

My first game for 64 Was "Turok Dinosaur Hunter" (course I have all the Turok games now)

Edutainment? Huh! I'm so sorry for you!! I bet those days must have been terribly traumatic!! 

LOL... and why to start your video game life.... with Turok "big guns, tons of gore" The Dinosaur Hunter". I always had a soft spot for his nuke gun

Yeah your telling me. I was stuck with Zombie dinosaurs form some place I forget and a few other weird games. eh my mom even got the berenstein bears game :angry:

But Turok for me was a revelation! The Nuke Gun ROCKS!

Edited by FerrariF311

I voted for the Genesis, but I change my mind. I remember back in 1983 during the Pac-Man craze of that era(you guys remember that Pac-Man song right? can we download a copy of that song anywhere?), I begged and begged my dad to get me the Atari 2600 for my birthday. My dad was a total tight wad back then, so when he told me I was getting the Atari for my birthday(WITH THE FREE KICK-ASS COMBAT game cartridge), I had to pinch myself! So on my birthday, right after school, I took the Muni home and waited in agony for the stupid slow-ass electric cabled 14th and Mission bus to stop near my house(half an hour ride)! then I ran 2 blocks praying my dad wouldn't flake out on his promise. I must have set the neighborhood 200 meter dash record that day-I was so freaking fast...ZOOOOOOOOOOM! :p Okay, now I'm at the front door of our apartment and fumbling for the house keys when my dad suddenly opens the door before I can get to my keys and tells me: "let's go get your Atari" Off to the defunct Consumer Electronic store on 16th and Mission we went, then the E.T. cartridge hit the shelves a year later, and the rest is history :( . The was the last time my dad ever bought me anything for my birthday! :angry: Ummm... to give my dad a little more credit, he ended up giving me his old classic Rolex watch after I graduated from boot camp and AIT way back in 1991. :)

BTW, that Atari 2600 ruined our family Hitachi color TV *lol* My dad was pissed!!! :blink:

Edited by 91WhiskeyM6

My Atari story is almost the opposite of yours. I wasn't even born when the Atari came out, but a friend of my Dad's gave me an old oen that belonged to her son when I was in 3rd grade or so. I liked it a lot, since at the time I didn't have ANY video game systems. So even if it was the SNES-era, I couldn't tell how crappy the Atari was. But eventually my Dad moved a few times and a coupel of years ago I asked him about the Atari... He'd thrown it away. :( I had a ton of games for it... Wish I still had it.

EDIT: Might want to delete the pic in your sig whiskey, they aren't allowed. It's also trying to make me download a certificate from a US military web site.

Edited by yellowlightman

The Atari 2600 had some sweet games. Back in college, there were five guys living in the house and we had a NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboys, Atari 2600, a PC, and eventually a Playstation and the 2600 got just as much play time as anything else. This was back in the mid 1990's so the Playstation was the most kick ass thing at the time. Games like River Raid just never lose their appeal.

Pong is cool too. I think I still have a knock-off of it.

Uh...hardwarewise? Um...it's not that superior to the Gamecube in terms of hardware...it's been proven that the GCN's 400mhz processor is equivalent to an Intel Celeron 1.7ghz processor! And it doesn't run DDR RAM so its load times are really short or virtually non-existent. And Abombz said that the GCN supports more layers than the PS2 or Xbox. One reason why Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 look fantastic.

From my experience many games today are not "timeless" like many games I played in the SNES/Genesis era. Something you clearly disagree with. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Exactly. And like I said, it's not that there aren't any games from that era that I still enjoy... but I love the new stuff, and I love to think about what's down the pipe.

BTW I never cared for Perfect Dark because there was not much variation from the gameplay from GoldenEye. For me anyways.

Are you kidding? The secondary fire modes, plus some imaginative new weapons, made Pefect Dark twice as fun as GoldenEye for multiplayer. GoldenEye was great for running around huge multi-player levels demanding more thought and skill for killing than simple run-and-shoot games like Unreal, but in the end, you were still shooting at each other. Perfect Dark, with weapons like Proximity Mines and the Laptop Gun, took that to another level by allowing more clever traps. The multi-player in PD was actually so good, it took me a long time to get into Halo (I had my Xbox for almost a year before I bought it). As much as I'm looking forward to Halo 2, I can honestly say that I'd rather Perfect Dark Zero came out first.

Well, I didn't play much multiplayer with Perfect Dark. My gaming friends (whom the majority turned out to be chauvanistic males that didn't like being consistently beaten by a girl) had developed the habit of joining forces/ganging up on me and killing me and/or doing whatever possible to put me in last place. Although one time I had an incredible comeback and managed to finish 1st over the 2nd place player with 5 more kills, I had basically stopped playing multiplayer with them. So I played PD mostly on 1 player mode or with my sisters which bored me. I have always found FPS to be too easy since I first played one online in 95 and why I do not like them.

Anyways, I'll give it another whirl with your recommendation. My new co-workers make better gaming buddies than my friends back in Boston. Then again who's to say in a couple years they won't stop ganing up on me too. <_<

Oh yeah, Perfect Dark was only so-so for single player. And it all goes downhill when Elvis shows up. For single player, Halo beats the hell out of.

Halo's multiplayer is fun, especially when you have a bunch of people, a big enough TV, and a 5.1 set up. As fun as it is, strategy is limited pretty much to where to ambush your opponent, and with what weapon. But Pefect Dark was a masterpiece for multiplayer. The levels were big and interesting enough, the weapon variety was good, and the secondary fire modes on weapons, plus remote weapons like proximity mines and the laptop gun, made for some great strategy. I remember, in fact, when my friend, my brother, and myself were playing a free for all... I saw my friend go into a room with only one exit, so I put a laptop gun in front of the door. If my friend tried to open the door, the laptop would shoot at him, leaving me free to hunt my brother. My poor friend was pretty limited in his choices... try to shoot the laptop gun before it shot him, or get killed by it, and hope to respawn somwhere else. He went for the first choice, by the way, but it ended up working as the second. Ah... good times.

Oh yeah, Perfect Dark was only so-so for single player. And it all goes downhill when Elvis shows up. For single player, Halo beats the hell out of.

Halo's multiplayer is fun, especially when you have a bunch of people, a big enough TV, and a 5.1 set up. As fun as it is, strategy is limited pretty much to where to ambush your opponent, and with what weapon. But Pefect Dark was a masterpiece for multiplayer. The levels were big and interesting enough, the weapon variety was good, and the secondary fire modes on weapons, plus remote weapons like proximity mines and the laptop gun, made for some great strategy. I remember, in fact, when my friend, my brother, and myself were playing a free for all... I saw my friend go into a room with only one exit, so I put a laptop gun in front of the door. If my friend tried to open the door, the laptop would shoot at him, leaving me free to hunt my brother. My poor friend was pretty limited in his choices... try to shoot the laptop gun before it shot him, or get killed by it, and hope to respawn somwhere else. He went for the first choice, by the way, but it ended up working as the second. Ah... good times.

PD single-player definately went downhill pretty fast, and a lot of the levels were too ambitious for the N64 or not ambitious enough. I would have loved if the Chicago level was bigger, dig that Blade Runner style, although TimeSplitters 2 kinda upped it with their Neo Tokyo level. Both of which weren't big enough to be satisfying though.

I think where PD beats Halo was the variety, especially in single player. It god ridiculous because overall Halo only had like three or four levels, it was so repetitive it got ridiculous. Couldn't tell which direction to go because everything looked the same, so they added the arrows... which were just kinda dumb. Liked running over my teammate with the vehicles in co-op though.

Here is some some Sony news. I wonder how much this thing will cost

Sony has today announced that it will unveil its PSX device at the CEATAC Japan 2003 industry show in Tokyo next Tuesday. The PSX, which was first announced back in May, is a set-top box that not only boasts PS2 hardware but also a 120GB hard drive, built-in Ethernet support, a TV and broadcast satellite tuner, and a DVD recorder.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/news/news_6076338.html

You know, I had to go with the NES here. While the Atari 2600 really started it all, the video game industry was in a free fall when the NES first came out. We would not have the current video game industry we have today if not for the NES. It saved the entire industry, and then blew the roof off of it.

You know, I had to go with the NES here. While the Atari 2600 really started it all, the video game industry was in a free fall when the NES first came out. We would not have the current video game industry we have today if not for the NES. It saved the entire industry, and then blew the roof off of it.

Totally agree with you on this one. I think what a lot of people fail to realize is just how revolutionary all those NES games were. Super Mario Bros., Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Megaman, Castlevania all helped defined the genres that are mor eor less the same even today. The NES also afforded developers a lot of freedom to be original. It didn't take nearly as much time or money as it did now to make games, and since so many people had never played video games in the first place... It allowed developers to really stretch their imaginations. The SNES helped polish the concepts of modern gaing, but the NES was their birth place.

Here is some some Sony news. I wonder how much this thing will cost
Sony has today announced that it will unveil its PSX device at the CEATAC Japan 2003 industry show in Tokyo next Tuesday. The PSX, which was first announced back in May, is a set-top box that not only boasts PS2 hardware but also a 120GB hard drive, built-in Ethernet support, a TV and broadcast satellite tuner, and a DVD recorder.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/news/news_6076338.html

Current estimates are putting it around $1000. I'd say it's worth it, except that I already have cable TV, and a Sony VAIO PC with a DVD+RW/DVD-RW drive, and Giga Pocket software to record TV on the PC. And since I'm burning DVDs on the PC, I can use different software to copy my friends' DVDs or make copies of mine for them (not as simple as you might think). Sure, my PC only has an 80GB hard drive, but I'm willing to bet that the hard drive of the PS2 can't be used for game saves... probably just recording shows and storing video information for the DVD burner. So... yeah, I guess it's really not worth it.