Berserk

Gyges

Hi, all. Sorry if this has been done to death, but a search turned up nothing.

Are they going to adapt the other volumes of the manga, or even make a side story? I remember reading a rumour that there was going to be more Berserk anime, but I can't recall any details. Any news? Thanks.

(I really want to see Serpico animated!)

Many of us would like to see a second season of Berserk. Unfortunately nothing concrete has come about plans for a second tv series yet. Maybe after the manga series finishes it's run. It's still ongoing, to my knowledge.

I think berserk is one of the best anime's, and i really wish they came out with a second season. So if the 2nd. season doesnt come out for a long time or if it never will, we're all gonna have to read the comic...Dark Horse comics is publishing Berserk and

will be in english and goes "right to left" reading. My local comic store (in Canada) said it should be coming out sometime october.

In spite of there being 11 some more volumes of the manga since the TV series aired, the story really hasn't advanced a whole lot. Not enough to justify another anime, IMO. I also understand that the manga is going to run for quite a bit longer. Really, I'd be surprised if they did another anime. From what I've heard while the manga is very popular, but the anime didn't do very well (for one thing, it had a really bad time slot at something like 2 AM).

Well, the portion the anime portrayed is actually fairly mild compared to the rest of the manga... dunno how they'll adapt that =)

AFAIK, the Dreamcast game follows a bit of the story afterwards, although I've never played it.

Isn't a PS2 game supposed to be coming out soon in Japan? Wonder if they'll bring it over to the states...

I hope there is more. This series rules. An OVA or movie I don't care I want more. The manga is going to start in the US in October.

The PS2 Berserk game was at the Tokyo Game Show this past weekend..

Most of the pics I found, Guts(Gatsu) is already the Black Swordsman like in the Dreamcast game.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/berserk...ew_6076052.html

very bloody is the description. lol I'm sure it will come to the US. At least this time more people outside of Japan will know what Berserk is unlike when the Dreamcast game came out. That's an excellent game btw.

I really hope to see a second part. The end of Berserk was just too terrible and sudden.

I want more!!

It really annoys me when I hear this. The ending to the anime was actually very well done, but obviously some people just don't get it. The story the anime is telling is not the same story the manga is telling (although the anime story is contained within the manga). The anime is more of a character study. In the first episode we are presented with a picture of the man Guts, a not entirely sane individual fighting a one man war against supernatural evil. The rest of the episodes tell us how he came to be that way. Giving us any more than that would have been counter productive and just plain bad story telling. In fact, I think the tigher focus of the anime makes it superior to the manga in some ways (though I do like the manga, in spite of it being rather gratuitous when it comes to sex and violence).

It really annoys me when I hear this.  The ending to the anime was actually very well done, but obviously some people just don't get it.  The story the anime is telling is not the same story the manga is telling (although the anime story is contained within the manga).  The anime is more of a character study.  In the first episode we are presented with a picture of the man Guts, a not entirely sane individual fighting a one man war against supernatural evil.  The rest of the episodes tell us how he came to be that way.  Giving us any more than that would have been counter productive and just plain bad story telling.  In fact, I think the tigher focus of the anime makes it superior to the manga in some ways (though I do like the manga, in spite of it being rather gratuitous when it comes to sex and violence).

Is pretty obvious the story telling shows how Gatsu turns into the Black Swordsman... but still the end of the sory is REALLY shocking. Even if you dont like me to say it.

Dont be annoyed, I am not saying the end is not well done at all... there is NO real reason for you to be annoyed by other peoples comments. Specially if the comment do not meant any offense. :)

Edited by Sebastian

• 4 months later...

Just digging up an old thread rather than starting a new one..

I just bought a CD with all 26 volumes done as scanslations, which are really well done - I can't wait 2 years for Dark Horse to catch up releasing the manga as trade paperbacks!

But does anyone know where you can download manga scanslations from? As there are few more volumes to go I'd like to know how the series ends!

And a second TV series would be great. The first one had no ending - it was prett obvious to me that the story was only halfway through. At first I thought my dvd was missing the final episode.

Is pretty obvious the story telling shows how Gatsu turns into the Black Swordsman... but still the end of the sory is REALLY shocking. Even if you dont like me to say it.

Dont be annoyed, I am not saying the end is not well done at all... there is NO real reason for you to be annoyed by other peoples comments. Specially if the comment do not meant any offense. :)

Okay then, a different interpretation of the word "terrible" (I was assuming you meant it in the more modern "something repulsive" sense). In the sense of being powerful or awe inspiring, I agree, the ending was "terrible."

And a second TV series would be great. The first one had no ending - it was prett obvious to me that the story was only halfway through. At first I thought my dvd was missing the final episode.

Something's missing alright, but it's not an episode... Since obviously you don't get it, read my explanation earlier in the thread.

For now, I am thankful that the manga has finally begun it's release. The two mangas I have most wanted to read are now available. Rurouni Kenshin, and Berserk.

And there was much rejoicing.

And holy crap the manga is crazy. It's only at Vol. 2 to boot. Great stuff.

A friend of mine is OBSESSED with this series. She imported the Manga and translated it herself...

I've read her stuff, and LOVE IT... I have the Gattu Black Swordsman figure, and it just rocks.....

gotta love the boxed set...

Something's missing alright, but it's not an episode... Since obviously you don't get it, read my explanation earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I realised there was no more eps. I don't think it had a bad ending - it simply didn't have one at all. It follows the manga to half way through and leaves the story there, presumably to finish off when the manga's finised. At least a partial tie-up would have been good -

SPOILER!!

the climax has the hero down for the count watching his closest friend betraying the Hawks, raping the woman he loves and ushering in an new age of evil and generally nasty stuff. That's all fine. I don't need eveything spoon fed to me. But we really needed to see how if he survived that encounter to wind up in the old man's hut with his new arm and sword ready for his big quest for revenge.

I actually enjoyed the way its ending was the first episode. And supporting characters like Zoddo, the princess, king, etc (I think that's his name) needed a wrap up too but they just disappeared.

SPOILER!!

the climax has the hero down for the count watching his closest friend betraying the Hawks, raping the woman he loves and ushering in an new age of evil and generally nasty stuff. That's all fine. I don't need eveything spoon fed to me. But we really needed to see how if he survived that encounter to wind up in the old man's hut with his new arm and sword ready for his big quest for revenge.

I actually enjoyed the way its ending was the first episode. And supporting characters like Zoddo, the princess, king, etc (I think that's his name) needed a wrap up too but they just disappeared.

MORE SPOILER!!!!!

He really just ends up there..... I mean, all they're taking out of the manga is him being carried on a horse by a skeleton. Albeit the skeleton does play a far more important role in the manga, he is virtually non-existent in the anime. Unless they plan to do a sequel, there's really no point in dragging another character into the anime near the end.

Well, come to think about it, the skeleton does kick ass when he comes in to save Guts... but then there's the whole duel with the minotaur that would have to be drawn :-p

I've also heard from reliable sources that a second series is in the works, but I also don't know if it will be an OVA or TV series.

Graham

Yup, i've heard of this too, and I can't wait. And they better include the skull knight in the second series!

Joe P.

the scanlations done by the legends at www.thehawks.org are fantastic, they fill you in on whats going on from the Manga, the oh-glorious-darkness-that-is-berserk. Big download, but well worth it, until the graphic novels are brought out by Darkhorse, this is all you have access too to fill up ur berserk needs....=)

You need bittorrent to download it, and dont ask how to do it from the online forum, you will be flamed badly and maybe banned.

So Download bitorrent, go to the link above, click on downloads, it will show another version of the same page with a links page in a box at the top right .

follow the links to do the downloads and add patience...

*something else thats an interesting read from the same site, 20th century boys, its different, but im hangin out to see what happens*

have fun .....

now to go back into hiding............

I got the whole manga series on cd and I've read the first 3 volumes. Man, it is SO much nastier, bloodier and darker than the anime. It would be banned from everywhere if they made it like the manga! But it's really cool to read the full story.

Keep me posted on the lasted news on the new series!! :)

Yeah, I realised there was no more eps. I don't think it had a bad ending - it simply didn't have one at all. It follows the manga to half way through and leaves the story there, presumably to finish off when the manga's finised. At least a partial tie-up would have been good -

SPOILER!!

See, that's the problem, and because it needs all the emphasis it can get... THE ANIME IS NOT THE MANGA! The anime is not trying to tell the story of the manga. It doesn't even try, and to expect otherwise is asinine. The anime takes a set of events from the manga, excises parts of it and expands upon others to create a complete story out of them. A complete story does not require knowing what all the characters do for the rest of their lives. It doesn't need to explain every minor event not connected to the plot. The manga is primarily an action/adventure story, while the anime is a tragedy. Two different approaches with differing results.