Amazing that SDC: Southern Cross merchandise

Ya know....I keep hearing how Southern Cross was an absolute dismal failure in Japan.

Last month I found a Southern Cross colouring book on Yahoo Japan. Now, lo and behold, a Mecha Karaoke CD turns up with one song from Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross.

nogurichan2002-img600x450-1131711294cimg2714.jpg

nogurichan2002-img600x450-1131711314cimg2715.jpg

Here is an interior shot of the colouring book I saw.....

colouringbook013gl.jpg

Amazing what keeps turning up.......

Last month I found a Southern Cross colouring book on Yahoo Japan. Now, lo and behold, a Mecha Karaoke CD turns up with one song from Super Dimensional Cavalry: Southern Cross.

This just in, based on these facts history has been revised to reflect that Super Dimensional Calvary: Southern Cross was not a dismal failure in Japan. Good Job Red Devil!

It's been a while since I watched it but I vaguely recall enjoying some of the music in comparison to some of the other music that was out at the time.

BTW, Red Devil, what is it that fires up your passion for Southern Cross and its Robotech Masters incarnation?

344412[/snapback]

Well, I like both of them for different reasons.

SDC: Southern Cross has better music and the linkage of certain elements in the storyline is better. This is especially true in that sometimes the mood of the music fits far better than The Masters War with a scene. However, The Masters War has better dialogue in a number of places thanks to people like Greg Finley (Supreme Commander Leonard) and Steve Kramer (Sgt. Angelo Dante). There is also the fact that The Masters War has more humour that sometimes comes off alot better.

For its time, the animation was quite good. I'm always puzzled when people say the animation was inferior. I also like the character styles of Tomonori more than just about anyone else. The mecha, of course, is one of the biggest draws for me, especially the Auroran/Ajax and the Tristar-class Cruiser Leaders.

Something else is the sheer wealth of designs, specifically those geared towards the ground pounders/mechanized infantry. More than any other series, it at least gives screen time to the logistics end of a war.

Without a doubt, my favourite episode is BioPsycher/Mind Games because it has a little bit of everything. I especially love it for the ship-to-ship combat, something I've loved since I saw Return of the Jedi in '83. I guess I just find The Masters War the most visceral part of Robotech.

Perhaps I wouldn't be so stand-offish to people about Southern Cross if I hadn't recieved such crap from other fans for years on end. This is doubly true for Harmony Gold and its various licensors. The only one that gets any respect from me is Antarctic Press for making the only Southern Cross series: Rolling Thunder. Fred Perry did a damned fine job.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

When I watched the Southern Cross DVD set all the way through two years ago, I enjoyed it for the most part, but it did hurt that the creators had a lot to wrap up in just one or two episodes. It would have been interesting if the series could have gone at least another 6 to 12 episodes.

Two questions:

1) Are we really supposed to believe that the existence of a childrens coloring book and a single track on a karoke disc (also containing other 80's mecha music) somehow proves that Southern Cross was something other than a bomb?

2) When did the middle segment of Robotech get renamed to the "Masters War?" Wasn't it always called Robotech Masters?

1) Are we really supposed to believe that the existence of a childrens coloring book and a single track on a karoke disc (also containing other 80's mecha music) somehow proves that Southern Cross was something other than a bomb?

Isnt it funny that stuff keeps popping up for a show that supposedly had negative profit?

2) When did the middle segment of Robotech get renamed to the "Masters War?" Wasn't it always called Robotech Masters?

344599[/snapback]

I started calling it The Masters War after thinking about what the Old Coots say in Ghost Town (they called it The Robotech Masters War, I just shortened it). Sounds alot better than simply The Robotech Masters.

Isnt it funny that stuff keeps popping up for a show that supposedly had negative profit?

344601[/snapback]

Considering that products have to be prepared before airing dates so that they can show up in stores when the show starts airing, it's really not that funny. Tatsunoko made a big push for Southern Cross to be a popular show, so it makes sense they'd try to merchandise the crap out of it. A better thing to look at would be all the merchandise that didn't come out after the show's run got cut short.

A better thing to look at would be all the merchandise that didn't come out after the show's run got cut short.

344634[/snapback]

Guess ya didn't notice the 1991 copyright date on the CD case, eh? There is also the fact that Southern Cross was released on laserdisc and DVD well after its 'dismal failure' on Tv.

Guess ya didn't notice the 1991 copyright date on the CD case, eh? There is also the fact that Southern Cross was released on laserdisc and DVD well after its 'dismal failure' on Tv.

I think you're missing the point. The fact truck tons of merchandise didn't make it out (MOSPEADA was supposedly also a failure but even it dominates in merchandise in comparsion to SDCSC) kinda points to its lack of success. The fact stuff was released post-humously doesn't rewrite the past. It's a CD with music from that era, success or failure, SDCSC was of that era. I'm not saying this to knock that particular show, you love it and that's your business, but it was a resounding failure regardless of the couple of items that managed to make it into production. I love some stuff that failed also though, that's just the breaks.

I am so muscular I look like a Bioroid... Amazing

344781[/snapback]

You gonna start cosplaying, A1?

344793[/snapback]

Each and every time I am naked and flexing in the mirror, I think about how 'Southern Cross' I look. Its Cosplay EVERYDAY!

I am so muscular I look like a Bioroid... Amazing

344781[/snapback]

You gonna start cosplaying, A1?

344793[/snapback]

Each and every time I am naked and flexing in the mirror, I think about how 'Southern Cross' I look. Its Cosplay EVERYDAY!

344796[/snapback]

...and when you flex, you can imagine Christopher Walken as your trainer, saying "Your excercise...needs more... Southern Cross."

I saw this old guy the other day, I mean like he is going to die tomorow old... And I couldn't help but thinking how cool he is, because he looks like one of the Robotech Masters, and since Southern Cross was totally popular, this guy is as cool as Don Johnson.

Each and every time I am naked and flexing in the mirror, I think about how 'Southern Cross' I look.  Its Cosplay EVERYDAY!

344796[/snapback]

...and when you flex, you can imagine Christopher Walken as your trainer, saying "Your excercise...needs more... Southern Cross."

344799[/snapback]

Here it is in picture form.

post-175-1132004513_thumb.jpg

I credit the success of Lenny Kravitz to the equally awesome success of Southern Cross. I mean think about it.. Southern Cross had a slightly gay black man musician with long hair....

If there hadn't been Southern Cross, we wouldn't have Lenny Kravitz.

I credit the success of Lenny Kravitz to the equally awesome success of Southern Cross. I mean think about it.. Southern Cross had a slightly gay black man musician with long hair....

If there hadn't been Southern Cross, we wouldn't have Lenny Kravitz.

344804[/snapback]

:lol:

This demands a thread on how life and the world would be a much better place if we all had more Southern Cross!

Could we attribute certain administration failures to the fact that Dick Cheney like Anatole Leonard is bald? Therefore W needs more Southern Cross so he could emulate Rolf Emerson?

Edited by Zor Primus

This demands a thread on how life and the world would be a much better place if we all had more Southern Cross!

Could we attribute certain administration failures to the fact that Dick Cheney like Anatole Leonard is bald? Therefore W needs more Southern Cross so he could emulate Rolf Emerson?

345231[/snapback]

Describe these certain "administration failures".

Maybe we should have "had more Southern Cross" during World War II and tried to "understand" and be "tolerant" of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan...

It is quite clear that you do not understand what we are dealing with when it comes to radical Islam. The French thought they could suck up to them and now look whats been happening to them on their own soil for the last several weeks...

...and Agent ONE, you are a riot! :D

345236[/snapback]

Just poking fun at whats always talked about when the topic of politics is brought up...not trying to get into a debate...Remember this is all about Southern Cross!

When did I mention radical Islam? jeeze... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zor Primus

345236[/snapback]

Just poking fun at whats always talked about when the topic of politics is brought up...not trying to get into a debate...Remember this is all about Southern Cross!

When did I mention radical Islam? jeeze... :rolleyes:

345245[/snapback]

My bad. :) Considering the context of some of the stuff in Southern Cross and some of what you were saying, I started to project what you were trying to get at. I apologize.

This thread does need more Southern Cross! :p

345247[/snapback]

Ask and ye shall recieve ;)

I think this is a page of Southern Cross cellphone ringtones, though I cannot be certain. My Japanese is none too good.

345286[/snapback]

I actually think all ringtones for all cellphones are from Southern Cross. I mean they are all kind of annoying, which is an obvious connection to Southern Cross.

Southern Cross is EVERYWHERE... Its truly amazing.

345247[/snapback]

Ask and ye shall recieve ;)

I think this is a page of Southern Cross cellphone ringtones, though I cannot be certain. My Japanese is none too good.

345286[/snapback]

I actually think all ringtones for all cellphones are from Southern Cross. I mean they are all kind of annoying, which is an obvious connection to Southern Cross.

Southern Cross is EVERYWHERE... Its truly amazing.

345294[/snapback]

It is amazing! Stuff keeps popping up for a show that supposedly had negative profit.

I'm an accountant, I can certify that "negative profit" is not a commonly used term... but it does sound like a very peachy way of talking about losses. I think I'm going to start replacing the word "loss" in all my financials going forward with "negative profit." I wonder how that will go over with the big wigs. My dear Vandermeer, I think you're onto something!

• 10 months later...

::does a little thread Necromancy::

Well, have found quite a few things in the last year, including some that I now own...

From left to right:

A Japanese Southern Cross comic, fan made I'm assuming (lost the bid on this one on Yahoo Japan)

Southern Cross arming doublet erasers: ATAC, TASC and GMP (dont own)

1st of 2 transparencies (currently sitting on my book shelf)

2nd of 2 transparencies (someone else won it)

1 of 3 posters I've seen <I may be mistaken, but I think this came with one of the albums> (dont own yet)

Alternate Pencil Case (I own this one)

A casette soundtrack (someone gave me the complete SC soundtrack already, so no need)

Finally, 2nd of 3 posters <was an insert in an anime mag I believe> (I own this one)

I wonder what else will pop up in the coming year....

post-646-1158478289_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158478322_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158478337_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158478402_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158478420_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158478466_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158478484_thumb.jpg

post-646-1158479300_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Red Devil, I saw a pair of Southern Cross rubber rain boots (child size, of course) on Yahoo Japan a while back, too. I have that coloring book, though, and as cool as it is, it really doesn't demonstrate that Southern Cross was some sort of a success. In fact, I think it does the contrary: just flip through the pages and you'll see the designs that never got animated or turned into model kits.

Yaco made a recent post about SC:

http://wildcats.pupui.jp/mt/archives/2006/08/post_100.html

I asked a friend to translate it and he said the jist of the post was that commercial aspects aside, Southern Cross was also a failure story-wise. He said that it had difficulty finding its audience and is pretty much forgotten nowadays.

My kingdom for a decent Bioroid toy, though...