King Kong remake is coming

reddsun1

I just saw it an hour ago, the whole film was engrossing and rarely dull. The picture of life from the depression was quite fascinating to watch & the boat scenes built up the tension beautifully so when they reached the island I was allready really living this movie.

The special effects were absolutely amazing, that may have been expected but I'd still consider what they've created one hell of an achievement. I' have never felt genuinely sick from wtaching SFX creatures before but those bugs really did turn my stomache.

The bits with the dinosaurs outdid everything Jurassic Park showed off in 3 movies in just a few scenes & it wasn't just the effects. There are some really creative scenarios the writers came up with that had me on the edge of my seat.

When so many new movies action scenes seem blase, that's quite the accomplishment.

Also, I'd never seen either verion before and only had a vague idea of how it went so I really enjoyed the story as well. The final scene really showed off how truly impressive the Empire State Building is & had me rooting for Kong all the while.

The only cheesy bit was the rather tacked on feeling subplot between the first mate and the stowaway but I appreciate the attempts at making the crew something more then monster fodder.

Finally, the best line of the movie was without doubt, "I am tocuhing the beast!", genious! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So Kong turns out to be a huge hit, as did Narnia... even though it did poorly in it's initial release those two movies have been consistent in 1st and second place even until now. Each one fighting for first place every week.

Although no longer the box office champ, King Kong still remained muscular in second place and raised its cume to $174.3M after 20 days of release. Its average of $8,710 from 3,627 theaters was somewhat better than Narnia's $8,525 from 3,853. Kong could continue to climb to more than $225M domestically at its current pace. Together, the two megahits have kicked in a staggering $399.1M into the marketplace in the final weeks of the year.

Overseas, Kong grabbed an additional $29M from 49 markets to boost its international tally to $222.5M. Universal expects the Peter Jackson film to break the $400M global mark by the end of Monday. The $207M-budgeted actioner should crash through the $500M barrier later this month.

So Kong turns out to be a huge hit, as did Narnia... even though it did poorly in it's initial release those two movies have been consistent in 1st and second place even until now.  Each one fighting for first place every week.
Although no longer the box office champ, King Kong still remained muscular in second place and raised its cume to $174.3M after 20 days of release. Its average of $8,710 from 3,627 theaters was somewhat better than Narnia's $8,525 from 3,853. Kong could continue to climb to more than $225M domestically at its current pace. Together, the two megahits have kicked in a staggering $399.1M into the marketplace in the final weeks of the year.

Overseas, Kong grabbed an additional $29M from 49 markets to boost its international tally to $222.5M. Universal expects the Peter Jackson film to break the $400M global mark by the end of Monday. The $207M-budgeted actioner should crash through the $500M barrier later this month.

357091[/snapback]

This is still below projections, and won't make up for the losses of the past year. Kong is a hit, but not a huge hit, and certainly not what they expected it to do.

Hmmm, seems alright. King Kong is at $400 million worldwide for a $207 million film; respectable but nothing too impressive. It's at $174 domestically, so it's not the biggest and no competition for the big boys like Potter, Spiderman, Star Wars, and Rings. I think it did better than I was expecting. But then I was predicting doom for a lot of films this year. :)

Any of those similarly budgeted films that did that well wasn't all that great to me, just like Kong. Titanic and Spider-Man were marginal films. Without the boat sinking at the end, Titanic was a real bad period drama. And without the web slinging sequences and the fights Spider-Man is a bad 90210/O.C. episode. At the way the B.O office has been going the last year I'm suprised Kong or Narnia even made as much as they have.

I wasn't evaluating the films on the basis of their artistic merit or entertainment value, just the numbers. I also have to say that the supposed box office slump this year is a highly overrated and sensationalized event that really isn't as much an impact as everyone thinks it is.

The box office has been showing steadily increasing returns every year for almost the last decade, each year making records. Growth like that is unsustainable, in any industry. It had to come to a stop eventually and 2005 was the year. However, 2005 may have failed to beat 2004 but 2005 is still a great year for box office take compared to recent years in comparison. It's all relative.

Not that I'm defending NA filmmaking, I just want to avoid reinforcing this media blowup over the box office this year. I'm hoping that the end of box office growth will inspire some change and studios will note that many of these mediocre big budget films just aren't reliable for superior growth year after year.

I was just at a lost though. Because I thought Kong to be an utter bomb when I read this thread. I check out Box Office Guru for release schedules mostly then I peek at how movies are doing. But lately there hasn't been any movie that really interested me enough to look as often as I used to.

Actually, chances are very good that Jackson will offer both Theatrical AND Extended/Director's cuts. Jackson is one of the few modern directors that understands DVD and offers consumers both options.

Yes, that was a dig and yes you all know who :)