Scrapped Princess

areaseven

scrapped.jpg13up.gif

Scrapped Princess ( スクラップドプリンセス )

BONES/WOWOW/Kadokawa Shoten, 2003

Bandai Entertainment, 2005

Directed by Souichi Masui.

Rated 13-Up for violence, slight nudity, mature situations and strong language.

When Pacifica Casull was born, so was an evil prophecy of her bringing forth destruction in the world when she reaches the age of 16. With that year coming up, bandits and sorcerers from various parts of the land make attempts to kill her before that prophecy is made, but Pacifica is well-guarded by her siblings Raquel - a powerful user of magic - and Shannon - an expert swordsman.

Story: A-

After being bored to hell by Sorcerer Hunters, I picked up this title and I was very impressed. Unlike recent medieval anime titles, Scrapped Princess does not deviate from the story by using unnecessary fan service. Instead, it keeps you hooked with its unique storytelling and character development. It's always interesting to know more about Pacifica and see who's out to kill her next.

Animation: A+

BONES (RahXephon, Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door) never fails to deliver when it comes to excellent animation. Takahiro Komori's (Battle Doll Angelic Layer) character designs capture the essence of the show. Pacifica herself is very kawaii.

Soundtrack: A

Excellent use of acoustics and medieval-style music make the soundtrack a great add-on to your CD collection, along with the opening theme "Little Wing" by JAM Project (Mazinkaiser, The SoulTaker) and the ending "Daichi no la-li-la" by Yoko Ueno and Masumi Itou (Azumanga Daioh).

Cast

Scrapped Princess features Fumiko Orikasa (Chise in Saishuu Heiki Kanojo, Seras in Hellsing) as Pacifica, Shinichiro Miki (Takumi in Initial D, Allen in Escaflowne) as Shannon, Sayaka Ohara (Kaede in Please Teacher!, Ai in Popotan) as Raquel, Takahiro Mizushima (Tadahiro in Asagiri no Miko) as Chris, Ayako Kawasumi (Mahoromatic, Aoi in Ai Yori Aoshi) as Winia, Takashi Kondo as Leo, and Kaori Mizuhashi (Taeko in Ai Yori Aoshi, Pepper in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar) as Zephylis.

The Bottom Line

When it comes to medieval anime, very few can compare to Scrapped Princess when it comes to action and comedy. Once it gets licensed, do not hesitate to buy or rent it.

Links

Official Scrapped Princess Homepage (Japanese)

WOWOW's Official Scrapped Princess Homepage (Japanese)

Kadokawa Shoten's Official Scrapped Princess Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

• 4 months later...

I hope (wishful thinking) that whoever (hopefully Pioneer or Genom) will release it here will have the limited editions of it like in Japan. They come with figures (Pacifica and Raquel are 12 inches tall) and a puzzle pencil board of the girls in bikini :lol:

This is a great series. I was turn on to it by a few people at another forum and then downloaded the entire series. Seriously I don't think there is one filler episode since things are constantly moving forward to either show plot points or character development for the characters. Medieval settings gets blured once you get into the middle of the story and towards the end. The relationship between Pacifica, Raquel and Shannon has to be my favorite out of all the different anime I've seen. The relationships formed by the other characters are great as well. I knew this was going to be one of my all time favorites when the DKnight appeared for the first time.

This was a great series. I didn't think I would like because at 1st I thought it was going to be just another clone of all the other fantasy stories out there. Boy was I wrong. This is a must watch IMHO. I would love to ramble on about aspects of the story and charactors but I feel I would ruin it for all. Just watch it!

• 4 months later...

I don't know if I liked it quite as much as some of the other people who've posted... but it was a solid series.

the character development was well paced

the intergration of magic and tech was pretty interesting.

Thought it started off a bit slow but by the thrid or fourth episode it was pretty interesting.

I liked it very much until towards the end. The ending was rushed and lots of plot points were lost during the whole finale. It would've been an instant classic if not for the rushed ending, I think. Plot holes are a big no no in my book.

Edited by wolfx

Yeah, same here... I liked how the story was set up and eventually built up to the grand finale, but in terms of the final few episodes itself, they could have maybe lengthened it by two episodes or so, allow for more development for one of the last characters in the anime to develop a bit (spoiler free-discussion, so no names =).

Somehow I feel naughty for grabbing all of the torrents the day before the licensing announcement was made :p

I would've like to see more of the past, but maybe they talked more about that in the novels.

novels?? never knew the anime was based off novels. hmm.... very interesting... I'll need to get my hands on the novels then.

he probable means graphic novels, AKA manga.

No, I mean novels, as in actual books. I don't own any, but there's around 10 novels or so, and it still hasn't ended. The anime takes parts from the novels and had a made-up ending compressed into 24 eps, thus the plotholes and rushed ending someone pointed out. I think the manga came after the anime, but I'm not too sure. The novels also have a few picture inserts drawn by Mogudan, who has far greater art than the artist that does the SP manga :D Here's a few of the picture insert scans I've found from the novels:

novel1.jpg

novel2.jpg

novel3.jpg

Edited by Mellow Yellow

I must see this one.

The novels also have a few picture inserts drawn by Mogudan, who has far greater art than the artist that does the SP manga :

Bit of a shame Mogudan wasn't hired to do the character designs for the anime. Imho Takahiro Komori's designs made the show look like a part of CLAMP's Universe.