An Earthbound Super Ostrich?

Mechamaniac

OK, in the scene where Hikaru walks out of the hole in the hull of the Prometheus, and walks to Misa, who can be clearly seen sitting in front of the nose of the Super O where they had crash landed on the beach.

Right after that scene, they pan over another plane that lies ruined in the surf, and it's another Ostrich?

ostrich.jpg

And no, it is not the Ostrich they were flying. In the scene where they were flying/crashing, they were coming from inland, and crashed on the beach facing outward, hence seeing the beached hulk of the Prometheus. The pan shot leads you to believe that the Valk lies ruined next to the Prometheus.

So, in DYRL, the Prometheus is an Earthbound carrier, not connected to the Macross at any point since the ARMD platforms are there.

So, I wonder why a space only fast pack trainer plane would be there?

The air intake ports are clearly visible, so there's no animation goof there.

Since we can't make out whether or not it's a twin cockpit, we can either assume it's a VT absent the FAST packs (no reason why you couldn't use it as a trainer in the atmosphere) or a VF with an Ostrich-style paint job.

It looks like a normal VF-1 from an unknown squadron onboard the Prometheus. If you you remember at the begining of the DYRL game the Prometheus get sliced into two. That could have been fighter blown off deck by the explosion killing it's pilot before he had any chance to react.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

As far as I know the SuperO isn't a "space only" VT... Without the FAST pack it serves the same purpose within the atmosphere.

As far as I know the SuperO isn't a "space only" VT... Without the FAST pack it serves the same purpose within the atmosphere.

Well, obviously, without the packs, it is an ordinary VF, just unarmed.

I'm judging by the only time we ever really see it, which is in space, with packs on. It has been long assumed here on the boards (though there is no official canon source) that the VF-1D was for atmospheric training, whereas the VT-1 SuperO was for Space flight training using Fast Packs.

Anyway, I'm reading waaay too much into it!.

I'm judging by the only time we ever really see it, which is in space, with packs on. It has been long assumed here on the boards (though there is no official canon source) that the VF-1D was for atmospheric training, whereas the VT-1 SuperO was for Space flight training using Fast Packs.

No in DYRL the VF-1D is replaced VT-1 in all applications.

I think the mod SuperO would agree with me whan I say that the valks in question are most probably white and their color are affected by the twilight lighting effect in DYRL, where the Super O looks to be tan and seem to have a purple haze underneath.

hehe, purple haze...

The Ostrich is actually white and red-orange, like the Bandai and not like the way Yamato recently released it.

Hehe, I'm just trying to awaken another one of those old debates that never get settled.

But that Valk on the beach is most likely just another whitish valk that looks tan due to lighting.

No in DYRL the VF-1D is replaced VT-1 in all applications.

Has it really?, like I said, I don't think there is a canon source that explains it.

It has long been surmised around here that....

VF-1D - Atmospheric armed trainer, used for atmospheric flight and mode training, as well as combat tactics, and marksmanship.

VT-1 Super O - Space flight unarmed trainer using Fast Packs and verniers etc.

It doesn't make sense that the VT-1 would completely replace the VF-1D as it has no armament of any kind, and would not be cost or time effective to retrofit the valk with an armed head unit, and gun and missile pods etc., when you wanted to do some armed training.

Not to turn this into another movie within a movie thread :D .

But if there is a canon source for that, let me know, and I'll shut up.

The VT-1 Super Ostrich is a FAST pack equiped trainer, which like all Valkyrie variants equiped with FAST packs is confined to space.

The VT-1 Ostirch on the other hand is the exact same Variable trainer without the FAST packs, half the time we see the Super O in DYRL it's just an O without the super (Hikaru very smartly ejects his FAST packs as soon as he and Misa are folded into the atmosphere).

The Variable vehicle in that shot apears to be a single seat fighter in training markings (some training squadrons have fully functioning fighters in their ranks for advanced training). The airbrake is a dead givaway, the two seaters don't have them.

I would encourage AGAINST generalizations about paintschemes....that's hardly a conclusive piece of evidence towards it being a VT.

Given what we see in the picture, there really isn't much of a way for us to tell if it's a VT of VF. It really could be either.

And just as a side note, VF-1Ds were NOT just trainers. They may have been used in the final phases of most pilot's training, but they were most certainly combat aircraft.

I always assumed it was Hikaru and Misa's VT, just with the tide moving in. It certainly seems to be in the right spot in relation to the Prometheus.

I don't see any airbrake in the picture, either. Or do you mean that thing on the back that looks like a deformed person standing up?