OT: PDAs

Knight26

Hey All, after my recent business trip it has come pianfully to my attention that I should probably invest in a PDA. I'm not entirely sure what I want, though I know I don't need somethign completely gadget filled, but would like it to be expandable, if possible. DOes anyone have any advice, or can recommend a good PDA model? Also, I have thought about hte smart phones, but I kill my cell phones regularly working on ships so that would not be the best idea.

What kind of OS do u use? Mac or Windows? If you use windows, I recommend the Axim X50v. It has lots of options and can play Divx at full screen at full speed. If u r able to go to F&S, I can show you mine.

The unit has

Axim X50v, Intel® 624MHz, 128MB ROM 64MB SDRAM, VGA 802.11b, BT, 2 slots one for SD and CF. The only bad thing about this is battery life. It last abour 2.5 hours if you watch continuous movies, if you just use daily use (checking emails. schedules, writing a doc), it will last longer about 4-5 hours. I recommend getting a secondary battery. For its price you get more bang for the buck

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/c...s=19&l=en&s=dhs

Edited by Gunbuster

I'm a windows user, I really don't need to do anything super fancy with it, watching movies is probably well beyond what I need. In fact beyond the basics, and office, the only function to it that I can think of that I might really want is GPS, but that need not be built into the unit.

I would say get a Treo650. You can pick one up for around $200 with a 2-year commitment from any of the major wireless providers. Check out Buy.com.

Treo650 is a Palm based Cellphone-PDA combo. It's the same thing as any of the lesser Palm "Zire" devices, along with an integrated cel-phone and full wireless internet capability. It can connect to ANY type of email-account (POP, IMAP, Yahoo, Outlook, Hotmail, etc.). It can real many kinds of files (Word, Excel, Acrobat, images, video, etc.) It can browse the web, play music, and play video. It can act as a cellular modem for your laptop.

In addition to all that, it's also a top-class PDA with a great appointment book, contacts manager, note pad, etc etc etc.

It's beefier than the average celphone, beefier than the average PDA, but smaller and handier than any two seperate devices. It's freaking incredible!

you can use the Blue Tooth GPS reciever with the Axim. That's what I use. works great! If u plan to do alot of presentation, this has a VGA out so u can hook it up to a projector or a monitor with a specail adapter

Well you can go Microsoft opperating system, or Palm. Palm has 99% of the functionality and 80% of the ease of integration, but its reliable. If you go with Microsoft OS you will have to be patient as you will be constantly getting error messages, and having to restart.

I had 3 different Microsoft PDAs, but now I use a palm. Treo 650 to be specific.

PDAs with GPS look like they cost 400+ I think most Bluetooth GPS receivers cost about $100 US so a $300 PDA + $100 and you may as well get one that comes with it. But it really depends on what PDA you get.

The Dell Axim X50v is a good unit. But I don't think you need all of that. An Axim X50 (no "v") would probably fill your needs. It does come in 2 flavors. The $340 version comes with a faster processor and a built-in wireless NIC. The $250 is a tad slower and omits the wireless. Both have Bluetooth so you can get a GPS receiver later.

I currently use a Palm Tungsten T5. Battery life is great. Only shortcoming is no built-in Wi-Fi NIC. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it. Works as USB drive, 256MB of RAM, lightweight.

thanks for the advice guys, I like the look of the Treo-650 but I don't want an intigrated cell phone, primarily because I am rough on my cell phones. The Dell Axim looks good to, I will look at those this weekend.

Palm Tungsten. The E2 can be had for $250, there's a higher model, can't remember name, but it's $350, and has integrated Wi-fi.

317856[/snapback]

That would be mine. The Tungsten T5. And it doesn't have integrated Wi-fi. I should know...I had to get the NIC for it. <_< The current hi-end Palm model is the LifeDrive. It's definitely a high-end device. It does have integrated Wi-Fi but the big thing is the 4GB hard drive in it. Where other PDAs have expansion slots for more storage space, you don't really need it with the LifeDrive.