OT: Family Guy

Does anyone get the feeling that Seth McFarlane is sorta "rubbing it" in Fox's face now that they came back to him for more episodes after cancelling his show? The new shows seem to have taken it up several notches where "inappropriate material" is concerned. I mean, watching the reruns over the last couple years, I always thought: "I can't believe they did that." But now, watching the new ones, I'm just blown away by how far they go.

jsarclight, I know exactly what you mean. If The Simpsons suddenly started going back to their roots (they used to have a lot of rapid-fire obscure references and quirky/bizarre humor, especially around when Conan O'Brien was involved), they probably would indeed be accused of copying FG. But, I don't think that the earlier era(s) of The Simpsons get enough credit for being nearly as quick and funny in their day as FG is now.

I'd put "Who Shot Mr. Burns" up against nearly any episode of FG any day. But it's been a long time since The Simpsons has been anywhere near that quality. Though, admittedly, I skipped this last season entirely. And I take bsu's word for it that it showed improvement recently.

Does anyone get the feeling that Seth McFarlane is sorta "rubbing it" in Fox's face now that they came back to him for more episodes after cancelling his show?  The new shows seem to have taken it up several notches where "inappropriate material" is concerned.  I mean, watching the reruns over the last couple years, I always thought:  "I can't believe they did that."  But now, watching the new ones, I'm just blown away by how far they go.

314810[/snapback]

I'm certain of that. Look at the first episode of the new season, where Peter explains to the family that they've been cancelled to make room for *insert long list of since-cancelled shows here* And I'm also awed by how far they're going with some of the newest jokes. Its just unreal how far they're willing to go with a joke this year.

The Fox guys has to suffer through the insults, they realized what a mistake they made when they saw CN ratings for FG. So, they now have to take it up the ass... but, FG is safe as long as ratings are good, but if ratings even look wrong, FG will end up like the other long list of shows. Besides, you have to remember, the television industry guys have no shame. They'd sell their closest relatives if it meant ratings.

Simpsons used to be the king of "nonsense" jokes like the classics of "boo-urns" and "TRAMAMPOLINE!" but they really just reigned it all back in and now do more sctick and double entendre wordplay. Their recent attempts at nonsense jokes all fall flat it seems... perhaps they are just too nonsequitor or just not handled quite right...

I would also place a "classic" Simpsons epp against a new Family Guy any day... but I almost guarantee you more people of varying ages and backgrounds would laugh at the Simpsons more. Family Guy is almost too over specialized in their humor. I know a few guys here in my office who are like me and while watching FG all we can say is "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"... but other people just sit there and the jokes go over their heads.

It's kind of a testiment to both shows... how the Simpsons can make almost anyone laugh once and how FG can make it's core audience almost pee themselves every episode.

but they really just reigned it all back in and now do more sctick and double entendre wordplay.

. . . as they write all that around the guest star of the week. :angry:

They've had guests on for years, since about the second or third season. I think the only thing that has changed is that now they have characters blurting out (usually Homer) "LOOK KIDS! It's macho action hero Russel Crowe!" or "WOW! It's 17th Centry French Impressionist painter Eugene Boudin!" (when the writers know that most of their audience will have no clue who they are actually guest-starring).

When a character just blurts out -name of guest star- it gets pretty damn weak.

Wasn't there some news a couple months back about how Futurama might make a brief comeback as a full-length film or something to that effect? Or did I dream it?

I certainly hope it's true, I miss Fry, Bender, Zoidberg and the gang.

I almost can't watch the Simpsons now because the rapid-fire humor of Family Guy has me getting bored watching the Simpsons. Plus the Simpsons is still a very broad based show with a lot of people of different age groups and places in life enjoying it and I can see by their current writing that they are comfortable doing "major news event cover shows" and other common sitcom fare now... while I think Family Guy is a specially targeted cruise missle of a show aimed at only one generation of viewers and features half it's humor being pokes at the obscure trivia of that generation. The Simpsons could never get away with half the stuff Family Guy pulls off mostly due to their seeming unwillingness to keep pushing the boundaries... I almost think they don't want people to think they are "imitating their imitator" if you follow my logic.

314806[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

There was actually a Simpsons episode that attempted the patented Family Guy type cutaway flashbacks, and while it did make me laugh it felt really out of place and was actually a little distracting. I think it was the only time they attempted that style of humor, and I'm glad for it.

Now pardon me while I shed a tear for the late, lamented Futurama.

314809[/snapback]

Ah, Futurama. In some ways, I remember it (perhaps falsely) as the stepping stone between The Simpsons and Family Guy. Futurama had a lot going for it except for mainstream appeal, by which I mean the story wasn't centered around a nuclear family. Hmm, methinks its time to start looking around for Futurama DVDs.

On another note, there are things about the "golden" Simpson years that will forever remain funny to me and in a lot of ways, smarter than Family Guy. I'm not trying to compare the two but there have been a few times where a Family Guy episode seemed tiring just because I felt like I had already seen The Simpsons do the same gag.

Family Guy will also pull no punch.

The Simpsons I feel are above barf, fart and sex humor but Family Guy revels in it... once again I think that is just them playing to their key demographic: males aged 24 to 32 who grew up in the '80s.

314846[/snapback]

Well, I don't think that The Simpsons feel they are above it but you're right about the demographics. The Simpsons have had fart and sex jokes but they're like fart and sex jokes aimed towards little kiddies or for the whole family (Marge farts after scolding Bart for doing the same or Marge and Homer giggle under the covers but nothing risque is shown or heard). If I had to generalize, I'd say the Simpsons tend to be silly while Family Guy tends to be shockingly hilarious.

I think as with most things since they had no real competition the simpsons decided to tone down and become lax, but now theirs family guy, and even though they are on the same channel as of now the only thing going for the simps is that they come on before FG, if they don't try and do something to come around soon they may not see an 18th or 19th season, and FG will just take over fox, and this september FG will be releasing their movie where stewie will go look for his real father, while the simpsons movie is still a long way away, and true the FG movie is straight to video but that is because it was being made before the show had got renewed, and they weren't sure that it may not do as well on screen so they played it safe