Sealing the cockpit?

Ido

How do you seal the finished cockpit and canopy before start to paint the fuselage?

I covered the canopy with mr. masking sol and this is good, I also used the same product to temporary glue the canopy but it doesn't work very well.

Tips from the pros?

Guest Bromgrev

It's been a while, but I used to leave off the canopy, that way you don't risk messing up the canopy with masking tape. Stuff tissue into the cockpit and around the pilot. Then cover that with masking tape or ordinary sellotape, tucking the ends inside the lip of the cockpit edge. After painting, before you finally glue on the canopy, scrape the paint off the cockpit lip. Touch up as necessary.

If you want to glue it down and leave it down id use liquid cement on it in the normal fashion and then carefully sand down the seam until its flush. After that fill where necessary then mask and paint. If you mask the portion you want to keep clear before you sand with masking tape it will keep youe canopy scratch free if you accidentaly slip.

I usually just use liquid masking fluid to mask the entire thing and also use it to "glue" the canopy down - on really stubborn fits, I sometimes use a dab of white glue, since its removeable later.

I use white glue to glue down my canopies, after I finish the cockpit I glue it on there and it makes a great cover whilst painting the fuselage. I use acrylics so once I'm done with the fuselage I rip off the canopy and use household ammonia to clean off the paint from the canopy.

After I'm done with the whole model I still glue down the canopy with white glue, or whatever that stuff is from the people who make Microsol.

Edited by Grayson72

Guest Bromgrev
How do you remove the white glue without damage the paint?

313179[/snapback]

With difficulty. Its a fiddly job, which is why I prefer not to touch canopies any more than absolutely necessary. It's down to personal preference in the end, but I just don't seem to have the skills to mask my canopies (with tape or white glue) without causing some damage during removal.

I usually just use liquid masking fluid to mask the entire thing and also use it to "glue" the canopy down - on really stubborn fits, I sometimes use a dab of white glue, since its removeable later.

311081[/snapback]

Forgot to ask, what type of masking film do you use? Like micromask or like mr. masking sol?

Micromask usually strip my paintjob, how should I remove it?

311081[/snapback]

Forgot to ask, what type of masking film do you use? Like micromask or like mr. masking sol?

Micromask usually strip my paintjob, how should I remove it?

313422[/snapback]

I've tried that stuff, it did the same thing to me so I stopped using it for large areas. I use the Tamiya tape and then if there's tiny corners and bits that didn't get covered with the tape then I'll apply the masking goop over the tape and onto the tiny bit of model itself. When I pull of tape the masking goop comes up with it.