My 1st Yamato (1/60th)

Luclin999

Well my first Yamato arrived this morning packed up really well (Thanks 1 VF-1 2NV!)

Of course the first thing I did was pull off the tail assembly when taking it out of the package :o .

Fortunately nothing was broken and it snapped back together without any problems.

I have played with the transformations a bit and after about 30 minutes of trying to figure it out from the Japanese instructions I looked up Graham's from the main page which cleared a few things up.

Overall a very nice figure with only two problems.

1. The canopy was on so tightly that I had to use so much force to remove it that I was sure I would break it. (Even with Graham's suggestions of "wiggling it".)

It did come off without breaking but I am glad that I plan to keep the valk in Battloid mode with the heatshield instead for most of the rest of it's existance.

2. The other thing which was disturbing is Roy's "Hula Hips". I had heard that these could be loose but wow!. However a -tiny- piece of cloth worked into each socket and he is as stable as a Bandai now.

Here is a picture of the new addition with my old MPCs..

Yamato.jpg

It seems to fit in much better with them than it does with my Bandai valks. (Of course soon there will be enough Yamato's to have their own shelf)

Best part? My wife (Who has never seen Macross or Robotech) took one look at the Yamato and MPC Roys together and declared the Yamato to be the superior by a long shot! Better detail, better feeling in your hand better overall appearance and when she heard what the MSRP was for each she actually Laughed out Loud at the MPC.

God, I love her!

:lol:

Edited by Luclin999

Awesome! I'm glad you like the 1/60 Yamato valk. If you think that's cool, wait until you get a 1/48! WOW! What a difference. :)

BTW, if you're in the mood for some more valkyires, please check out my for sale thread (place shame-less plug here). ;)

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=15229

Thanks!

The cloth I used was a tiny square of a used fabric softener sheet. Maybe about 5-6mm square.

I fed it into each of the ball joints corner first and just rotated the socket until the cloth had disappeared into the joint. Tightened it up nicely although it can be worked back out of the socket if it is manipulated too much (A good thing I suppose if you wanted to restore it to "boxed" condition).

As to more valks..

I just bought four Bandai reissues on Ebay (2 VF-1S, 1 VF-1S Super & 1 VF-1J) and have two more Yamato 1/60s (VF-1A Max and Hikaru to go with Roy) already headed here via UPS.

I have a 1/48th VF-1A Hikaru currently being shipped from overseas and a 1/48 VF-1A CF pre-ordered.

So my spending spree on new mecha is almost over for now.

About the only things left which might tempt me at the moment would be a 1/48 VF-1A Max and a Fast Pack set.

Luclin999 Posted on Jun 11 2005, 10:10 PM

About the only things left which might tempt me at the moment would be a 1/48 VF-1A Max and a Fast Pack set.

Looks like you're pretty much in the same boat as the rest of the guys here on MW.com, 'coz we're waiting and hoping that the 1/48 FP's will see the light of day once more. Specially now that we have some more valks coming our way :) .

Luclin999 Posted on Jun 11 2005, 10:10 PM

Looks like you're pretty much in the same boat as the rest of the guys here on MW.com, 'coz we're waiting and hoping that the 1/48 FP's will see the light of day once more. Specially now that we have some more valks coming our way :) .

Seriously, I should sell mine for a ransom and then buy it back when they do rerelease...

but I'll end up buying CFs and GBPs, so thats a bad plan...

Well, my 2nd and 3rd 1/60ths arrived today. The VF-1A's for Max and Hikaru.

While I admit being happy that they are here I was a bit suprised by the QC issues present in both figures.

The VF-1A Max had a couple of pieces of flash inside of the chest piece which had to be trimmed down in order to allow it to convert to Battloid. It also had a large gap in the upper right thigh which was due to the screw holding that section together being loose. Lastly both of the pegs on the legs are too small in that they fit into the figure so loosely that they fall out with no resistance.

The VF-1A Hikaru was in better shape but did need to have the peg assembly on the underside of the wings loosened and adjusted as it came out of the box 45 degrees out of position.

I honestly wish that Yamato had come up with a better method for attaching the legs other than simply using pegs and hoping friction can hold them in. Some kind of a locking bolt assembly similar to how the legs are locked on in plane form would have helped immensely.

Oh, as to the cloth/hips mod. I didn't take any pictures when I did Roy but I may when I tinker with Max later in the week.

yam2.jpg

A shot of the Yamato's moving in..

Hmm do the MPC's look a bit nervous to you?

:huh:

Edited by Luclin999

think using fabric softener sheet would be a bad idea with all the chemicals in it. hows the plastic that made contact with it holding? I would proly use a small cloth like patch thats thin like in gun cleaning kits.

think using fabric softener sheet would be a bad idea with all the chemicals in it. hows the plastic that made contact with it holding?  I would proly use a small cloth like patch thats thin like in gun cleaning kits.

Possibly. however the pieces I put into Roy's legs were both used up in the dryer as well as having been rinsed and dried first.

I may take a look at using a cleaning patch though. It has been a while since I used my Glock 21 so I never even thought about one of those.

Edited by Luclin999

Those 1/60's are looking excellent! But for the life of me, I don't understand why YAMATO couldn't have released the HIKARU/MAX variants with their own FP's :blink: ! They would've looked a lot better with those, just like the STRIKE ROY.