army builders and wanna be's

kanata67

as the new "show off your collection" post appears and slowly gains momentum... I was just thinking about the "building an army" comments I've heard from time to time. First off... why build an army? I do love my jetfires, but I WILL cut myself off when I have ten complete. Same goes for the matchbox officers pod. I don't think ten of each really qualifies as opposing armies, but what does a hippie know? What exactly qualifies as an army people??? 5 or more of a particular mech? 20 or more of an particular scale? What??? Just curious. Not like I'm plotting here or anything... :rolleyes:

Well, I have all of the Bandai reissues, including the two Macross 7 reissues. Does that count?

Unless the little gashpon figures are worth it, I really don't plan to build any armies. As far as the 1/48th line goes, I'll be happy with having my own little Skull Squadron as far as the VF-1 goes. All they need to do is release a DYRL? Kakizaki 1A, and the TV Hikaru 1J and I'm done. After that I might get a couple VF-4 Lightning IIIs, if Yamato makes them, and then one of each kind of Valk after that. I don't need multiple 19s or 11s, just one of each for variety.

As long as Yamato releases them far enough apart for me to afford them.

I was never into the "multiples" thing...one of each type was fine. Then the damned Low Viz arrived with FPs. Now I have a small, ever growing army, started. 3 so far, and eyeing more....I imagine that if there is ever an enemy released in1/60 or 1/48, I'll probably shell out for multiples of that too.

I think one persons definition of an "army" would be different from the next guy. Several factors come into play: wallet size, storage/display space, etc. But in terms of hard numbers, my opinion is an army being several squadrons, with the famous Skull Squadron being just one of them.

I'll be content just having the full complement of the Skull :)

i would like to say i'm an army builder but........i'm too broke right now. :lol:

i mentioned this before cause i'm into having multiples, especially enemy mecha.

personally, i would like to see all the battle pod varients, q-rau, and glaug.

if the bat. pods are cheap enough, i would buy something along the lines of 50 over time. :o

the q-rau i KNOW is going to be expensive so i can't see me buying more than 4-5 total and i believe the glaug will be the same. now, don't get me wrong i'd love to have an army of them too but the price tag is gonna hurt and i'll probably be able to buy 5 bat pods for every 1 q-rau/glaug. B)

as far as valks go, obviously a skull squad, and a s**tload of brownies! i'll probably try and do this with the 1/60's seeing as they are the most affordable as of now...$25-$30 or so i'm talking atleast 20-30 of them over time.

my pockets are NOT that deep, actually they aren't deep at all, :lol: but i know how to save my money. every week i put aside $20- for each macross item i want. if it means i'm eating ramen for a few months, thats fine by me. ;)

i have a fund going for the 1/48 1J, another low-viz, the reissue 1S, monster, the q-rau, and RDF if it ever comes outs, an SDF-1 of some kind and anything else i have my eye on. i don't make much but i only have to support myself so its not too bad. :)

i really do hope to win the megamillions though! i'd clean out yamatos entire factory....heck i'd buy yamato! :lol:

Take the 1/48 as an example:

you need 3 of each type to pose in the 3 different modes

you need another 3 of each type to pose in the 3 different modes with fastpack

then you need 1 of each to keep MISB and 1 MISB fastpack set

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Edit: I try to keep it at 1 from each type :lol:

Edited by Nightbat®

Any time you can divide your collection into squads, platoons, companies, battalions, regiments and finally divisions, then you officially have an "army".

I think no one here posesses that many toys.

Unless you're buying Banprestos by the truckload. :D Hey, you never know.

I know my housemate could set up an army of Lego stormtroopers and break them down into "squads, platoons, companies, battalions, regiments and finally divisions". In fact, that's probably what's going to end up happening to our attic. :unsure:

I would distinguish "armies" and "collections". It's a vague distinction, but I'll take a stab at it. A collection is a bunch of stuff. A nice or large collection would include a good variety of stuff. A complete collection would include one of each type of stuff. So you could have a complete collection of Bandai reissues, or a complete collection of Yammie 1/60's, etc. None of these would be armies.

For me, an army would include multiples of various types, so that you could in theory organize them into units. If I was building a Zentradi army (preferably at 1/200 scale or smaller), I'd want enough Glaugs and Regults to approximate the Zentradi battalion structure shown at the bottom of this page. If I was including Gnerls and male & female powered armor, I'd probably want similar numbers of each as well to convey the idea of squadrons or wings.

Roughly as I see it, you've got an army when the individuals start to become standardized and "faceless". But it can be quite nice if, once you reach those numbers, you still give each little guy some kind of identifying quality.

Yamato valks are a little too pricey to build armies with, even for 1/60's. Not only that, you can only pose them in so many ways, so they would get boring after awhile. If you want to make armies you have to buy those little black plastic figures with those lego hands and all the gun sets.

yes for sure, it'll be a bit pricy but really cool if someone pulls it off.

i was thinking about scoring a bunch of branprestos for just this reason. i just check HLJ and they're having a super sale on them....$4- each. perhaps thats the route i should go but my only problem is, i don't see them making any enemy mecha....ever! :( if i had some guarantee, i would buy them up by the truck loads.

BTW, i too have 100+ lego stormies and clonies to consider them an army. i plan to make a mini movie of sorts when i have some time...Star Wars vs. Macross. but i think my SW army and fleets would vastly out number the valks i own. ;):lol:

does anyone know where i can upload images to be posted here on MW?

i know theres a bunch of sites, but many have rules that won't allow you to post pics that are not directly related to the site.

*added*

ewilen, you got the right idea, my sentiments exactly! now only if yamato would.........

Edited by haterist

Best I can do is muster up about enough combat-ready Yammie VF-1's to form maybe a little better than half a squadron by modern U.S. Air Force numbers (or a very depleted squadron by some standards). Most of that comes from the 6 CF's I wound up eventually buying because I fell in love with their military like 'blandness' and the ability to customize the numbering scheme.

Even with the Banpresto's you'd have to believe in Reaganomics to cough up the cost of having enough for a squadron, much less a group...and I'm quite happy with my little 1/48 flight, thank you. :)

Of course, we're all making fun of the exact definitions of the words. I would , however, be impressed if someone had enough individual representations of units to have an army under any 'real' definition (if I remember right, I did have close to a full battalion of micromachines M1's and support vehicles...but that's about the largest assembly of anything I've done).

Like in Hollywood, six stormtroopers often fill in well enough for an 'army'. :D So that's about as far as you'll get in any terms of an army from me...although my obsessive Jedi collection (including customs I'm working on) might start becoming ridiculous....

I think an army in this respect should include not just one type of mecha, or even mecha/characters from just one universe. Entire toy collections comprise armies, which is how I can enjoy the sight of scores of Valkyries parked around my GI Joe Defiant, for example.

From different universes? :blink:

For me an army is pretty big and has lots of people/mecha that are mostly the same. If I had enough money I'd love to buy a whole mess of VF-1 toys and make a huge diorama, either a city battle scape or a hangar or both! :D

If I did a hangar scene it'd be like preparing for the showdown with the main fleet, TV again. I'd have Hikaru's Super VF-1S , Max and Millia's Super VF-1J's, and 20 or more cannon fodders, a whole squadron, plus an Elint. :)

Ahh....it's nice to dream.

Edited by Air Elijah

I think, for Macross toys, they'd look nice with one command pilot, then two mass produced one's by his side :) Like have two mass produced Valks backing up Hikaru.

That reminds me, I'd really like to have a Valkerie toy of those greenish ones from the last dozen or so episodes of Macross.

The money thing can't but play a huge part. I was thinking maybe the 1/144 die-cast figures could be a good basis as they aren't that expensive, but destroids are pretty much all there is cheap. Would it look a little off having one 1/144 nousjaduel ger power armor surrounded by 50 destroids and one doyusha vf? :lol: . Maybe the pencil sharpeners...

1/144 wasn't that hard. All of them but the one tomahawk I painted gunmetal up front are original die-cast no less :blink: Granted... the right most column is the abused destroid squad that can still walk :rolleyes:

SO what do you guys think...? Does this count as an army?

Edited by kanata67

1/144 wasn't that hard. All of them but the one tomahawk I painted gunmetal up front are original die-cast no less :blink: Granted... the right most column is the abused destroid squad that can still walk :rolleyes:

SO what do you guys think...? Does this count as an army?

now thats what i call an ARMY!!! :o

my army *cough* my squad *cough*, would get their butts kicked if they ran into "admiral" kanata's army. :p:lol:

damn, i wish i had the time and patience to build models again. :blink: those are models right?

*added*

nevermind, they look like those exo squad releases...yes?

Edited by haterist

Not my entire collection for those who don't know about my insanity, just the 1/144 stuff I had in the living room when I decided to take pics at 3 in the morning. Many know about my jetfire fetish. As it was my first valk I can't help but love it. I know my obsessive nature and will allow myself no more than ten complete. Right now I am only at 7, though I have just a few partials that will either get repaired as I get parts or made into customs.

How many know what my second favorite toy of all time is though?!?!? Again my limit is ten, though I have two boxed not in the picture, one that I will either fix the head gun or make a custom, and one worth of nothing else but being a spawn custom. So the question is... Got glaug?

post-4-1065196125_thumb.jpg

they store easy in tupperware as well :blink:

Yeah, Thats an army allright.

So who do ya plan on going to war against, 10 Glaugs would get um, destroid, hehe <_<

Ditto! By the way, do you have a diorama for all those? :huh:

they store easy in tupperware as well :blink:

Yeah, Thats an army allright.

So who do ya plan on going to war against, 10 Glaugs would get um, destroid, hehe <_<

it's just way to funny you said that as my slow as connection was loading :lol:

FYI... the army is original bandai/matchbox die-cast 1/144... just like the taka's. Far superior to the all plastic exo-squad ones. The sad part, besides the right most column of half-wits, is that every single gladiator is missing one hand?!?! I can't complain as I got them in a lot, but every friggin one?!?!?

now all you need is a squad of regults and you'll be all set. :rolleyes:

the only problem i see in army building is, its hard for someone to get stuff all in the same scale. yeah there coming out with the monster and q-rau, but what about regults? what about destroids? what about me? ahhhhhhh!!!!!!! :lol:

*added*

oh, i'm officially a wanna-be now. :p

Edited by haterist

• 3 weeks later...

shameless, and yet still obnoxious, self-plug... http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=20#entry41611

oh yeah... quote bigkid "I'd say your rows and rows of destroids comprise an army. That's pretty sweet. I'm too cheap to get that many of one type though unless I get really good deals. "

my favorite kind of deals ;)

Edited by kanata67