Anyone remember Heroquest?

I just ran across Heroquest in my closet at my mom's house. I promptly brought it home to teach my wife to play it. She has expressed an interest in playing Dungeons and Dragons, I figured this would be a good introduction. Boy do I remember playing this game for hours on end with my friends when I was younger, we would make new quests and generally just get creative with it. It was so simple and easy to play that it made it great fun to play. Oh the memories. Anyway I was just curious who else played this. A thread to discuss it would be great. Only downside is I am missing the wizard mini. I am sure it is lost to the ages.

Let me know what you guys thought of this game.

I just ran across Heroquest in my closet at my mom's house. I promptly brought it home to teach my wife to play it. She has expressed an interest in playing Dungeons and Dragons, I figured this would be a good introduction. Boy do I remember playing this game for hours on end with my friends when I was younger, we would make new quests and generally just get creative with it. It was so simple and easy to play that it made it great fun to play. Oh the memories. Anyway I was just curious who else played this. A thread to discuss it would be great. Only downside is I am missing the wizard mini. I am sure it is lost to the ages.

Let me know what you guys thought of this game.

Ah, Heroquest...

Great game!

Great idea about using it as an intro to D&D, as it's much simpler to learn, but share the same concepts!

Back in my junior high school days, one of my friends bought the game, and we played it for about a year or so. During high school, we switched over to D&D, and "appropriated" all Heroquest minis and tile sets for our various D&D campaigns. Good times...

I had the original Heroquest boxed set back in the day, although I don't think my friends and I ever played the game according to the rules. Usually we'd make up our own or just use the miniatures and stuff for use in other RPG games.

Still a cool game, a good introduction to role playing games (er, even if it does kinda lack the role playing part) and more interesting than your usual board game.

Heh, I remember Hero's Quest, the Sierra On-line PC game. My first RPG! I loved that game so much, despire the terrible dated graphics :)

I think they had to renamed "Quest for Glory" because of copy right conflict with Heroquest.

Yeah that's right... even though I belive the Hero' Quest games contained some obvious Warhammer things like a Chaos Sorccerer who looked just like a servent of T'zeentch.

But I don't know the only Quest games I played were Police Quest, Space Quest and Peasent Quest.

Funny, I used to play Quest for Glory all the time. I loved that game. Later on I bought a cd that had all of them on it. I played the first one over and over.

But back to Heroquest I had no idea it was related to warhammer. huh learn something new everyday.

I haven't started playing yet but I hope hero quest is still going to be fun. You know how sometimes good memories sometimes cloud how bad something actually was. Case in point all of my NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 roms.

I got a copy of HeroQuest on Ebay 2 months ago. Was surprised because its the British 1st Edition (the US edition is technically a revised version). Havent had time to run my friends through it, but I remember playing it. Its quite the collector's item now. I hope to be able to find the expansions like Kellar's Keep and The Return of the Witch-Lord at some flea market one day.

A game that is even more fun (but more expensive to own now) is Talisman by Games Workshop.

One of the local gamers here in Tampa (Greywolf, btw) runs an Advanced HeroQuest game every year at NecronomiCon and ConGames. I've played twice and had a blast. Of course, he sets his in whatever passes for Ancient Egypt in the Warhammer World. I try and get the Animated Anubis Statue/Tomb Guardian when I play.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Absolute cool game, buddy of mine also had the add-ons of the 1st version

spent hours painting the figs

also bought "Space Hulk" a few years after that, which was also heaps of fun

Edited by Nightbat®