Got my "first" 1/48 - Impressions, comments

CkRtech

Hey everyone.

Well - it happened. I received the VF-1S Skull 1 in the mail the other day from the Valk exchange. Incidentally, I received a Masterpiece Roy on the same. Outside of a Jetfire, I hadn't owned an official Valk until they both arrived. Wow. It was really hard to look at the Masterpiece without my eyes leaving it for the Yamato. Such a big difference. Some of the overlooked subtleties of the Masterpiece are downright nailed by the Yamato. An example of this can be found in the Fighter mode. Look at each from the side - The Masterpiece has screams of joints and transformation mechanics while the Yamato looks like...well...a plane. Very nice.

Transformation was kinda hard. I didn't expect it to be so complex "behind the scenes" if you will. All the little tabs that had to fit here and there. I am still not sure if the heat shield and front chest piece were supposed to "snap down" in the final part of the transformation to Battroid. In any case - he is standing up with gun in hand and looks great. Wish I had a fastpack though. Ahh well.

I struggled to get the rings around the gunpod. Unfortunately, I snapped one. So I ended up removing the strap from the gunpod & it feels incomplete. It isn't a big sculpted item...perhaps I can find a replacement item somewhere.

In any case - it looks great. I imagine that you gain transformation experience on the guy as time goes on? Ha. I'm a transformer collector & don't remember something giving me that much trouble. I want to put the stickers on, but I have to get it back into fighter mode first, so it might be awhile.

SDF-1 Arrived today. I received about 7 destroids about two weeks ago. The collection is starting to shape up. Thanks to all those who have responded to my PMs. This place has been very helpful and I enjoy the friendliness of the Valkyrie Community.

And here's a little joke. (I have stickers for these three guys, they just aren't applied)

macjoke.jpg

I won a VF-1J Miria from a seller popsalute back on the 14th of April, but still haven't received it. Gosh! It has all that cool stuff plus those extra hands. I wish it would get here.

Congrats on your VF-1A, valkyrie312. That's awesome. (wish they didn't cost so much!)

Heh. Right after I posted, I got an e-mail from them. They are going to track it for me and get back to me. Whew!

I won a VF-1J Miria from a seller popsalute back on the 14th of April, but still haven't received it. Gosh! It has all that cool stuff plus those extra hands. I wish it would get here.

Congrats on your VF-1A, valkyrie312. That's awesome. (wish they didn't cost so much!)

hey ... I got the same situtation with popsalute last month , won a Max 1J.

but later 2 weeks..still have not received. then an email came saying my package was returned to them becos the package was not declared, they explain one of the staff forgot to delclare it....

but after the email, they immediately reshipped out the Max without any reship cost and I received my Max safely :lol:

probably some of the staff are forgetful or very inexperience... who knows...

keep us inform when u received the yammies

Heh. Right after I posted, I got an e-mail from them. They are going to track it for me and get back to me. Whew!

Haha. I bet ebay seller popsalute reads the boards. I sent an email about an item to see if it was in stock, because his feedback is iffy, but got no response. I will never deal with people who do not reply <_< ( I waited a week for a response :huh: ).

There's really no comparing the 1/48th to any other Valk... it just owns!

I really like how much bigger and bolder the head looks on the 1/48ths...

I just bought my first this week too. I actually stressed about it a lot, feeling like I had to be some sort of an idiot to blow over $150 on a toy..

Then my co-worker told me the neck-tie he was wearing was bout $140 and remembered that I spent $100 on drinks the night before, and suddenly I felt much better about it :)

(going out for drinks in NYC sucks!)

The 1/48 gives an actual sense of realism to the Valk. By looking at it, you almost want to believe "this can actually be done." All of the other toy versions just make it look like a toy, and not much more. I can remember how geeked we all were when news of the 1/60 line broke, and how that was the best thing ever. When the news of the 1/48 line surfaced, I was just floored. Made a promise that I would at least own one (ended up with two thus far). Not only is the 1/48 line great for Macross, but look at what it has inspired with the Transformer line as well. Now we are seeing "perfect transformation" toys popping up all over.

Thank you Yamato!!

I struggled to get the rings around the gunpod. Unfortunately, I snapped one. So I ended up removing the strap from the gunpod & it feels incomplete. It isn't a big sculpted item...perhaps I can find a replacement item somewhere.

Simple solution:

Just get a everyday twisty tie, remove the metal from the paper, and use it to attach the strap to the gunpod. I actually used the twisty tie pieces instead of the rings on all of mine and I didn't even break my rings first =)

BTW --

Is the 1/48th's head supposed to hang loose when it's in fighter mode?  I"m talking about the 3rd edition Roy.  I haven't found a way to lock it down to anything.

My 3rd reissue Roy does this, too. Tightening this thing up (in a non-ghetto way) means disassembling the cockpit/nosecone halves; the head is mounted to a shaft that is sandwiched between the halves. If you choose to take this apart, you might use the old fingernail polish trick to take up the slack in the shaft.

I'd strongly suggest living with the floppyness. ;)

Edited by Wicked Ace

BTW --

Is the 1/48th's head supposed to hang loose when it's in fighter mode? I"m talking about the 3rd edition Roy. I haven't found a way to lock it down to anything.

its loose when you tilt the head up to get rid of the gap or you just letting it hang down?