Hard Drive Crisis

I feel absolutely like crap now. I was watching Eureka 7 episode 2 and it was on my external USB2 hard drive. I was going to download something else after watching it but access to my drive volumes was going bonkers...it was taking very long to just get my volumes right. When I tried to access my 2 other partitions, they came with a Device I/O error. I was like... wtf.

Accessed partition 1 with eureka 7 on it and it was fine. Turned USB drive on and off and voila...NONE OF THE PARTITIONS WORK ANYMORE?!? WTF? On startup windows would auto-search your volumes on the hard disk, but this time my hard disk is being accesed constantly making system slow....windows knows there are 3 volumes but it can't open any of them. I suspect this might've happened when I was moving files from one volume to another on the same hard drive , messing up the NTFS index? BUT WTF? I thought this sorta !*&@*(! happens only in FAT32?

Well...now i'm using a "trial version" (whatever that's supposed to mean) of "Get Data Back" http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm and it seems to be detecting some files on the broken drive.....i think the drive is still usable after a reformat....but *(&!@*(!@ i hope i can retrieve most of my stuff. I'd be pissed if this program allows me to see that my files are still there but cannot do anything to retrieve them because its a trial period software......scanning the drive is sloowwwwww.....

ANybody has any advice to dispense or what might have happened to my hard drive?

have you tried a low level format program like harddriver regenerator? also update your virus and spyware scanner. Doesn't seem right if you lose your data on it and have the drive still usuable after you format it, unless your laying it near strong sources of magneticism.

I've experienced it. Hard drives are not as unfallible as we'd like to believe. Externals even more so.

I'd recommend setting up a SATA drive or two and using IDE for backup on your next machine. It's worked better for me than external drives.

Can you still mount the drive?

Is it making any noises?

You may wish to try a Linux to see if you can recover files from that hard drive before you reformat it. I suggest you download a copy Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.com/) and see if you can read anything off the drive. If you can, that would probably save you some grief.

And no hard drive is ever safe, especially from physical problems.

This is the 1s time it happeneed to me. Man....i can't believe ALL 3 partitions died on me. The drive seems to be working fine. Its just that accesing any of the volumes in any way slows the system down (like if you open My Computer). I ran the "Get Data Back" and it seemed to be able to recover my files. So I think theoretically, i can still retrieve those "lost" files and reformat the drive. ;)

Man....i never thought HDDs were this unreliable.

Well for the sake of prevention, what should I do or not do to prevent this poo from happening again?

There is nothing you can do to prevent it. Trust me. <_< The best method is to make backups. And make 'em often.

you partitioned an external??? an external usb??? I pray to god you didn't fat32 it.

Why would you partion an external anyways? IF your mixing os that could be part of the problem. Multiple hd's is easy... as is a dvd burner.

circuit city... 160gig internal for $50 after rebate. Back it up on an internal whenevr possible and use externals strickly for transfer. God forbid you fall in a pool with it :rolleyes:

you partitioned an external??? an external usb??? I pray to god you didn't fat32 it.

Why would you partion an external anyways? IF your mixing os that could be part of the problem. Multiple hd's is easy... as is a dvd burner.

circuit city... 160gig internal for $50 after rebate. Back it up on an internal whenevr possible and use externals strickly for transfer. God forbid you fall in a pool with it :rolleyes:

Of course I NTFS-ed it and hence why I thought this situation impossible to happen.

Why I partitioned it...well the initial idea was...if for some reason a bad sector happens or some corruption to the data occurs, it will be isolated from the other volumes...or so I thought. <_<

Now it seems the whole damn hdd's index is fukked. So far retrieved 99.5% of partition 1. Lost about 2-3 episodes of Moonphase but that's retrievable. Onward to partition 2 and 3!!!

Hi guys. I was able to recover almost 100% of what i lost. THose unrecoverable are negligeable.

But as you know my hard drive's accessing time is crap *** slow now. So to make it useable again i'm gonna do a format. So i'm now partitioning one of the 3 volumes on the drive. Its been 2 hours and its still at 40%! My question is....would it be faster for me to delete all the partitions and then reformat the drive? Or would it be faster to reformat the drive from command prompt perhaps? Advice please.

Best practice is to format using:

Computer Management-->Storage-->Disk Management.

If you are formatting the drive across your USB bus, then I would recommend busting out a copy of Macross 7, or watch DYRL a couple of times, as it might take a while (depending on your drive size). If you don't want to wait, then slap it on an IDE channel and format it.

Ok i'm not sure what's goin on. The format progress raises slowly but steadily up to 40% (about 20 minutes) then it stays there for 2 hours and counting....wtf? Is this a bad sector ? nooooooOooo!!!

Results are same when i format f: from command prompt and from disk management.

are you doing this with you HD in your external USB? or did you take it out and place it in your system and connect it to one of the ide cables? for all those formating and partitioning it'll be better and safer for you to do it in your system.

It also looks like your HD is braking up,, slowly dying. so get all the data out of there soon and send that sucka in for warranty.