Southern Cross/The Masters Toys

baronv

Has there been any re-issue of the So. Cross hover tank except for the old Matchbox version? Was it ever re-released as part of the Exo-Squad/Robotech re-issue in the 90's? Or how about the transforming helicoptor? I'm tying to find one to buy but the chances on eBay are pretty slim for this particular toy.

You Betcha!

The Hovertank was rereleased in about 1994 in the exo-squad line. I got one off ebay for about 100 bucks MISB!!! :D

The original Matchbox one was better IMO, the exo-squad version is all "battle-damaged" up. If you like that look, then go for it, otherwise, get the Matchbox one.

No Veritech Hover Coptors were ever made :angry:

Merrell

some people want them. I'm thinking mostly the people who never had one :blink:

I have considered getting one just to see if I can make it into a proper three mode version as I always found it pretty lame as-is when I was a kid.

why not post everting gathering dust eriku, and see if you can't unload it in favor of stuff that will get dusted ;)

Hiya baronv,

welcome to MacrossWorld. I think its pretty much recognized that I am the board's resident Southern Cross nut :p .

As for SC toys...none have been reissued. Currently, for some reason, Toynami has made no plans to do SC toys...eventhough they have signed a contract making them the worldwide licensees of any Robotech Masters/SC toys.

Unfortunately, Ive been informed that a transforming Auroran/Ajax MPC has about a snow-ball's chance in hell of ever being produced. The main reason given is that unlike the Spartas Hovertank or the Battloids, the Auroran/Ajax has no variant based upon rank or coloration. However, it is interesting that many of the people I've talked to about seeing MPC SC toys want an Ajax (and a Hovertank too).

Please sign my petition that is listed in my signature and spread the word so that maybe one day we can get some SC MPCs or even Super Poseables.

BTW....for those of you that like SC...I think the ATAC/ASC mugs from Robotech.com are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I got my first one about a week ago.....gonna be getting at least 2 more in the coming weeks.

PRO_168_2_1205.jpg

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

Other than the obvious Matchbox stuff, there were some models released. It's not too easy to find them, though.

Try hitting this site

It seems to have a pretty good listing of all the models and toys that came out (or at least made prototype).

On the Toynami front, there's still some chance for hope. The Hovertanks have a chance at being made once they've cleared through New Gen / Mospeada stuff. The bad part is that getting through that will probably take a loooong time considering no Alpha's until 2004, the Beta coming out after that and probably Cyclones after that. I kinda wish another company would pick up some of this stuff in Japan so we'd be able to skip some of the waiting.

I'm still optimistic that they'll just make the Ajacs and offer a non-canon color scheme or something just to get another one out of it. They can always call one the officer's version and one the non-officer's version and I doubt anyone would really care so long as it was made.

I still have my Exo-Squad re-released version that I modded to turn into tank mode. It's posted at Nam Ngo's Valkyrie Factory here

how'd you mod the legs like that anyway? Is it easy to do, or does it require some hack and slash type of deal? Please let me know. I wanna mod mine that way as well! That looks awesome! :p:D:lol:

Hey, niomosy, thanks for that link!

So, what's the general verdict on the hovercraft toy? A couple of you don't seem to like it much.

And (I wonder if kanata67 saw this coming) can anyone confirm that that the scale is 1/48 for the SC toys (bioroid, hoversled, and Spartas hovercraft) and/or provide the dimensions?

Hey, niomosy, thanks for that link!

So, what's the general verdict on the hovercraft toy? A couple of you don't seem to like it much.

And (I wonder if kanata67 saw this coming) can anyone confirm that that the scale is 1/48 for the SC toys (bioroid, hoversled, and Spartas hovercraft) and/or provide the dimensions?

No problem. I had to hit google to re-find it since the old URL I had wasn't good ;)

I've got the hovertank. It's... okay at best. The size is great but it looks rather low quality. I'm glad I've got one as it's really about the only option right now.

I'm just hoping Toynami shows some love to the SC fans so I can have a better HT (though smaller :( ).

Edit: just went and hit one of the Robotech RPG sites.... here are some stats on the Hovertank. Not sure if that's quite what you're looking for but it's a start.

Edited by niomosy

I'm still optimistic that they'll just make the Ajacs and offer a non-canon color scheme or something just to get another one out of it. They can always call one the officer's version and one the non-officer's version and I doubt anyone would really care so long as it was made.

I would love it if they had an Ajax done up with the Black Lion Squadron coloration...which would only vary from the standard model in the way the coloration and trim was applied. The Black Lion Coat-of-Arms as well as the TASC Coat-of-Arms would be there too.

As for the stats on that website....the weapon stats are wrong....but I know that isnt what you're concerned about. Yes...according to This is Animation Special #10...the scale for the Bioroid, Spartas and Battloids are almost all 1/48 (the only exceptions are likely the Fenris Powered Armor and the Kraken Deep Sea Armor). Its interesting...the only Battloids to not have prototypes made were the Marsh Division Triton and the Cities Defense Unit Unicorn. On the bad guy side...the BioPsycher/Bioroid Invid Fighter never had a model/toy made.

The "real life" stats are also on the site you gave the link for, niomosy, and they approximately agree with the Robotech data you linked. (Spartas height = 6.18 m = 20.3 ft.)

Red Devil, you must be referring to the models, not the toys. If the hovertank toy is 1/48, that would mean it's only 618/48 cm = 12.875 cm = 5" tall ? It doesn't look that small based on the pictures.

Edit: However, this may be one more difficulty with doing a new hovertank toy. HG would probably want to release it in 1/55 to match the MPC VF-1 and upcoming MPC Alpha. At that scale, the hovertank would be less than 4-1/2" tall!

I had no idea the hovertank was so small.

Edited by ewilen

why not post everting gathering dust eriku, and see if you can't unload it in favor of stuff that will get dusted ;)

I should, but most of the dusty stuff is Star Wars related, and the thought of sorting through all that crap and matching figures to their accessories gives me a headache. :blink:

My Hovertank still has a big Transformers sticker on his chest from when I was a kid and had him join the Autobots. :p

Red Devil, you must be referring to the models, not the toys. If the hovertank toy is 1/48, that would mean it's only 618/48 cm = 12.875 cm = 5" tall ? It doesn't look that small based on the pictures.

Yea...

sorry...I was referring to the 3-form model of the Spartas that is shown in the back of This is Animation Special #10. The Matchbox toy appears to be a badly copied and badly redesigned version of the model.

Well, if anyone would do the measurements on their Robotech/SC toys, I'd be grateful. It'd be nice to know the scale--including whether the bioroid and hovertank are the same scale. It's pretty annoying that the Robotech/Macross toys are all over the place scalewise, as Kanata67 discovered.

Well, if anyone would do the measurements on their Robotech/SC toys, I'd be grateful. It'd be nice to know the scale--including whether the bioroid and hovertank are the same scale. It's pretty annoying that the Robotech/Macross toys are all over the place scalewise, as Kanata67 discovered.

Just measured my hovertank. Just a tad over 12 inches tall in battloid. I'd do the bioroid but it's currently buried in another room.

i took off the belt (re-attachable), made the toes swivel from one mode to the next, added some clips to hold the legs as tight as possible to the chassis in "tank" mode (clips are hidden in battloid mode), threw in some other small stuff and voila! ill take better pics if i ever complete it to the level i had hoped to.... :unsure:

Edited by madmacks

Just measured my hovertank.  Just a tad over 12 inches tall in battloid.  I'd do the bioroid but it's currently buried in another room.

Thanks! Well, that makes the scale real easy: 1/20. I'll bet the "Dana's Hovercycle" toy could be the same scale without being too tiny.

Edit: Hm, says here the hovercycle was designed for the 12" doll (eeyechh!). So it's definitely not in scale with the hovertank.

Edited by ewilen

:unsure: Hmmm never was a fan of the matchbox hovertank toy, since it never really looked as cool as it did in the anime, but you're doing a pretty good job of making it look a lot better! Makes me want to dust off some old toys and mod them. Hmmmmmm......

One of the largest problems with the Matchbox hovertank was the fact that the armored carapace/skirt wasnt large enough. On top of that, the gun pod scabbard was missing...as well as the gun pod. If you could make the carapace longer and sized more proportion to the mecha...as well as adding the gun pod scabbard (and gun pod) it might be passable.

Edited by 1st Border Red Devil

yay, poseable hips, waist, and neck! im totally bastardizing this thing and its really fun doing so. i think it actually looks better with the hood turned up like a backpack rather than hanging down like a sissy skirt.

anyways... i still have alot to finish. (yeah i left the belt off accidentally)

ht2.jpg

Edited by madmacks