So, fans of Penny Arcade...What is going on there?

twich

Okay, I know this seems really random, but I am a fan of the site, and I like the comics, so what prompted the last 2 comics? Tycho and Gabe got into a fight and now they are breaking apart? Is this some sort of joke? I cant sign up to the forums, so I dont know if there are members only sections to read, but...there is no word of it anywhere.....So, can someone kindly fill me in? Thanks!

Twich

Either that, or Tycho's got a really big stick up his ass. I mean, it's one thing to think that PA's been a tad on the juvenile side, but does he really think that anyone wants to read his pseudo-intellectual elitist grammar lessons?

I wonder if he realizes what a prick he is with his writing style. It's not intellectual. It's disgusting and insulting to his readers. Trust me, I used to be one of those guys who never talked or wrote propely, but rather threw in all the words I knew to make myself sound smart or make myself feel better. Have you ever tried to read his posts? It's no wonder Gabe fills the comic with toilet jokes, he has to make up for that friggin smug "hehe, I know many big words" partner there. It really makes him sound stupid, not smart. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Does Tycho legitimately believe that his ad hoc modus of the gratuitous employment of vocabulary and the conceited exhibition of his superfluously ludicrous lexicon is veraciously consumed with any pleasure by his readership? If my mode of language consistently presents a condescending tone of staunch superiority, is not a prodigious, super-colossal ass-kicking the proper remedy as prescribed by common prudence? To postulate otherwise would be disingenuous as indeed, there is nolonger any cause for levity in Penny Arcade.

Edited by ComicKaze

Does Tycho legitimately believe that his ad hoc modus of the gratuitous employment of vocabulary and the conceited exhibition of his superfluously ludicrous lexicon is veraciously consumed with any pleasure by his readership? If my mode of language consistently presents a condescending tone of staunch superiority, is not a prodigious, super-colossal ass-kicking the proper remedy as prescribed by common prudence? To postulate otherwise would be disingenuous as indeed, there is nolonger any cause for levity in Penny Arcade.

That was beautifully done! :lol:

I always thought it was done for comedic effect. As effectively demonstrated here. :D

I don't think Tycho is taking himself seriously. And always just assumed that we shouldn't either. *shrug*

-Al

I always thought it was done for comedic effect. As effectively demonstrated here. :D

I don't think Tycho is taking himself seriously. And always just assumed that we shouldn't either. *shrug*

-Al

I just think he's a word whore and doesn't realize it :D

Because if you're doing it for comedy, you really should go all out, but he holds back and sticks some regular words to try to pretend he'sstill on the same planet and level with everyone else everynow and then. When I read it, I find zero comedy and just a lot of frustration because I've experienced it myself and have met people in real life that do just this and thing they're all cool and everything but don't realize just how silly they sound.

I have to admit, his grammar comics are hilarious and his uses his words well in them, but the newsposts just don't work and I don't think it's intentional.

I've noticed a trend with these guys that they get bored with serial cartoon strips so I don't think this will last for long.

I agree, I never read his posts as they are as dry as the desert to read. But I love the cartoons.

I just think he's a word whore and doesn't realize it  :D

Because if you're doing it for comedy, you really should go all out, but he holds back and sticks some regular words to try to pretend he'sstill on the same planet and level with everyone else everynow and then. When I read it, I find zero comedy and just a lot of frustration because I've experienced it myself and have met people in real life that do just this and thing they're all cool and everything but don't realize just how silly they sound.

I have to admit, his grammar comics are hilarious and his uses his words well in them, but the newsposts just don't work and I don't think it's intentional.

Amen. Here's what I wrote on a similar topic on my web page.

I'm lucky to have been blessed with a somewhat instinctual understanding of grammar and a pretty comprehensive vocabulary.  Luckily, however, I'm aware that it takes more than a large stock of ten-cent words to be a real writer.  Unfortunately, a lot of "writers" on the web don't seem to grasp this concept.  There's one fellow in particular over at Evil Avatar who has assumed the title of "writer" and posts inane drivel in the forums that is littered with words obviously intended to conjure an aura of talent and elegance. . . but only leaves the average reader wondering if his thesarus should be taken away.

Well, there's a review of Star Wars Epsiode II written by Walter Chaw that conjures up the same urge to retch.

In only eight paragraphs, he manages to use the follwing words:  "hubristic, treacle, excrescence, offal, lugubrious, simulacrum, misanthropic agoraphobia, verdant, fecklessly"

And these are only the worst offenders.  There are plenty more that I'm sure will leave quite a few people scratching their heads.  I --I'm happy to say-- knew nearly all of them ("offal" gave me some trouble. . . but I think I got it through context).

You can just see people like this sitting smugly in their chair, considering themselves literary geniuses because they would rather use the word "lugubrious" rather than "sad".  Nevermind that there are quite a few intelligent people who won't have a frickin' clue what they're talking about.

When I was an undergrad, I considered myself quite blessed to have taken a course where the professor's first assignment was to read a pamphlet of his own creation.  It was entitled:  "In Praise of Stark Lucidity".  Of course, its entire message was that the title of the pamphlet should have been:  "In praise of clear writing".

If you prefer (as a brained-up Homer Simpson once said): "Lamentably no, my gastrointestinal rapacity knows no satiety" versus "Nope.  I'm still hungry". . . you're part of the problem.

Having a good vocabulary is a blessing.  Please don't abuse it.

Edited by Hurin

I just think he's a word whore and doesn't realize it :D

I just always thought he did it largely for amusement and effect, and stuck them regular words things in so it's at least still comprehensible. Maybe because I can manage to get through about half his newsposts before my eyes glaze over, so it tickles me a little. Although now that you mention it, it does seem like he relies on that trick an awful lot.

But occasionally Tycho's writing hits comedy gold. Like the old post about poisonous horse chestnuts Gabe featured when he was given reigns to the news section while Tycho was away. Probably picked it because it was the only one he could actually understand.

-Al