1/48 Yammie or MPC Alphas?

jardann

Well guys,

I had just decided on one more 1/48 valk and the prices on EBay took another jump! :angry:

So not being at all patient I then saw some decent deals on some MP Alphas and I have ordered one Lancer and one Rook. I'll let you guys know my impression when they arrive. :ph34r:

Thanks again for the help!

Just picked up my very first ridiculously expensive toy, an MPC Lancer Alpha.

The thing is pretty damn beautiful, but I'm not totally in love with it. It's stiff as hell, which is usually a good thing, except in this case I can barely transform it. Getting the legs tucked in the right way in fighter mode took me 20 minutes of careful squeezing...

I really don't like the way the cockpit just rests on the back. My big old Gakken had a nice pocket for the canopy to hide in, and gravity kept it firmly in place. On the MPC, it sort of just sitting there totally unsecured... hate it!

My 1/48th Yamato's in the mail... I hope to be blown away! (Given that they cost more than twice as much, I expect to be!)

Hmm... I almost like the MPC Alpha more due to it's ridiculous weight.

I'm almost not thrilled by some of the smaller pieces on the Yamato that seem to fall of (like the small hook/fin that goes behind the backpack)

Such a BIG Valkyrie though...

ive been debating removing those hooks, snapping thne ends and gluing the fins through the hole. I cant seem to see any reason at all its a seperate piece.

On another note, after getting the lancer a few weeks ago, and trying an MPC Valk (Not great, but kinda fun) i bought up a Millia 1/48 from Valk exchange today. Thanx Kevin!

OK,

Got my two MPC Alpha's in the mail yesterday. One Rook (red) and one Lancer (green)

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised. The heft of the toys is great. I think they feel pretty solid when I hold them, especially in fighter mode. Battloid model is good too. Armor diver not so much, but that seems to be the norm with any of these transforming toys. Even the Yamatos loose some sturdiness in Guardian mode.

The transformation seems pretty good. Although I had a h*## of a time getting the right wing to pull out on both of them. On the Rook toy I had to do a little prying with a screwdriver to get the wing to come out. (talk about scary!! :o ) That is just something you shouldn't have to do on a $60 toy.

I think these look great in fighter mode and near great in battloid mode. Armo diver isn't my favorite mode, but it looks accurate to me. (a valkyrie is really the only type I've ever liked in guardian mode)

So I'm pleased and I would say that if you like the Alphas/Legioss and you find one of these around $60 or less, go for it.

A few negatives: Some of the joints feel fragile. Definitely more fragile than a 1/48 Yamato. A few of the pieces don't hold real well. (the cover to the motorcycle storage area, the missle covers and the tabs where the arms lock back to the shoulder portion in fighter mode) The knee guards especially look like they could be easily damaged. And one more thing that most people have already mentioned. The landing gear. I actually think the gear is OK. Its just the wheels that are the problem. IMO the wheels are too small and too plain. If they made the wheels just slightly larger they would look much better and we woudn't have the belly dragging syndrome that everyone complains about.

Well, thanks to everyone that gave their educated opinions on this. And hopefully my $.02 will help the next person.

Now I'll just be on the lookout for one more 1/48 valkyrie at a good price. :lol: Yeah right! :p

Oh yeah,

Forgot to touch on the packaging.

The packaging is really great. The leatherette cover material is nice and I like the way the inner tray easily slides out of the bookcover. Feels pretty sturdy too.

But.....

Why? I really would have preferred a slightly lower price than the fancypants box.

I mean, I'm going to want to display the toy not the box. And here's where they realy peeved me. Even the inside of the box is nice, but the bag that holds the instructions and stickers was taped to the inside. Try as I might, being as careful as I could, I still ripped the interior of the box when I was removing the tape :angry: . Who was the idiot that decided to put tape on the printed paper lining instead of the plastic insert tray instead? That IMHO was just stupid.

Well, rant over

Now my next question. How are the stickers? Should I put them on or is anasazi or takatoys putting out improvements?

supposedly they look better with the stickers but i'm lazy and haven't bothered to put them on. :p i'm sure some aftermarket stickers are in the works, maybe they'll be out after teh shadow comes out?

correction, the after market stickers are out there. :)

Edited by haterist

It's actually REALLY HARD to apply those stickers! They're tiny and there's often no reference lines to align them with. I've been working on my Lancer on and off with the decals - I find if I do too many at once I get frustrated and sloppy :)