YF-19 decals

Sweet-1

I'm building a YF-19 and want to change the colors of the black wing stripes to red. If I scan the decal sheet and then try to change the colors will this work? The decals are #1, 3, 22, and 23. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing that can help me?

I can use the printer at work, so quality isn't an issue, but I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try.

Lonnie

I generally rebuild the decasl in a program like Illustrator just to get the lines & colors right.

But, if youre unable to or unwilling to, scanning them in at 1200dpi or so will get you plenty of resolution to print from. The only problem will be neutralising the background, i.e. the paper that the decals are printed on. This gets even more difficult if you're trying to change something that's white to another color.

You mean something like this? It took me about ten minutes in Photoshop. I would normally do it in Illustrator, but this quick and dirty method works almost as well. It also helps that I already have a high res scan of the decal sheet on file from another project. I've spent lots of time figuring how to how efficiently white-point (aka neutralize) the blue backing paper Hasegawa uses on their decal sheets while preserving white decals, as well as replacing colors in the manner that you need. The attached image is a non-printable, off-sized, low-res sample.

post-3-1109090930_thumb.jpg

You make it sound so easy.

Lonnie

We have too many people on this thread that makes everything sound too easy. Too much talent I say. I'm jealous. If I could get a little of Anasazi37's decal skills and a bit of wmcheng's modeling skills and couple of other people's drawing skills... I'll be set! Whee... I'm dreaming too hard again. Someone pinch me. <_<

Edited by AlphaHX

We have too many people on this thread that makes everything sound too easy. Too much talent I say. I'm jealous. If I could get a little of Anasazi37's decal skills and a bit of wmcheng's modeling skills and couple of other people's drawing skills...

I'll second that. If I had half of the talent some people display here..... well then I'd be a lot farther ahead!

Lonnie

You mean something like this? It took me about ten minutes in Photoshop. I would normally do it in Illustrator, but this quick and dirty method works almost as well. It also helps that I already have a high res scan of the decal sheet on file from another project. I've spent lots of time figuring how to how efficiently white-point (aka neutralize) the blue backing paper Hasegawa uses on their decal sheets while preserving white decals, as well as replacing colors in the manner that you need. The attached image is a non-printable, off-sized, low-res sample.

See, our own frickin' decal genius and you didn't even know about it. Good thing you asked.

It's really not that hard guys. Just takes a bit of playin' around in Photoshop (or the equivelant).

Re-drawing them in Illustraor with spot color call-outs...well, that's not really too difficult either, just time-comsuming.