Lorelei

Sorry cyde01. I will control myself better, I don't mean to beat Japan/Japanese over the head with their war record, it's just constantly having these 'A-bomb is bad' movies/anime messages gets under my skin, as if I'm supposed to feel guilty for something that happened 60 years ago etc. etc. (you should'nt feel guilty either, unless your an 80+ year old war criminal... :ph34r: )

It's a fact Japan was working on the A-bomb, just like Germany. A U-Boat that surrendered to the U.S. ,when Germany was defeated, and BEFORE the dropping of the 2 A-Bombs,  had aboard enriched uranium and lots of German research data, it was headed for Japan. The two japanese officers that were aboard commited suicide rather than be captured and interrogated.

Look at Japan's Secret War by Robert Wilcox, and The Nuclear Axis by Philip Henshall about Japan's project to develop an Atomic Bomb in WWII. However, some objections have been raised about these author's conclusions.

I see that no one appears too disturbed by their bastardizing of the Surcouf...Philistines.

On a reluctant side note, there would be no reason to even contemplate locking this thread if you guys could keep your unrelated tirades out of it. Whether or not you get worked up about the "15 year war," that discussion is not really relevant to the discussion of a fictional wartime action flick.

Just for the record, I am in no way defending the heinous war-crimes, or the fact Japan started a war in the first place.

But the problem is that some people seem to still be punishing the Japanese for the crimes of their fathers, just as many people still adamantly blame the Germans for the Nazi atrocities. The Japanese of today are legitimately afraid of nuclear holocaust because they saw the effects of it on their very own people.

Cultural and National memory can go for a long time. Just as American children will be seeing the effects of the Gulf War, 9/11 and the Iraq War, the Japanese have been living with the effects of being bombed by atomic weapons.

Still, this movie looks cool.

p.s.- Major Johnathon- 3000 people in 90 minutes... that IS a lot to absorb. But terrorist attacks around the world kill much more than 3000 people a year and yet it's never noticed because 1) It doesn't all happen at once, and 2) It's not here in America.

Ya' know...after the embarassing depiction of the "evil" asian centric Trade Federation in SW episode 1:TPM ... a much bigger, more hyped, and far more seen film - then this Lorelei movie may ever be ... well lets just call it even, shall we ;)

Afterall its just a frickkin MOVIE; not a rewriteing of our history books :rolleyes:

Looks like the movie is about using this experiemental weapon Lorelei (that Japanese girl, I guess she's a witch, w/ Neo-like powers) to stop a planned third nuclear attack on Tokyo which is meant to pretty much end Japan.

Flying off topic as well, the two nukes dropped on Japan had two purposes. First was the submission of Japan, but perhaps even more important was the intimidation factor gained by the US after their use. Being the first nuclear power almost guaranteed our rise as the most powerful nation on Earth. Nevermind that we didn't have anything else after Fatman and Littleboy, no one else knew that.

The whole topic is a little crazy to begin with though. There's no way we'd nuke Tokyo, especially when it was our greatest chance to end the war. While the Japanese mentality of life for the Emperor screwed them long and hard, it sure made it easy at the war's end. One word from the Emperor and they'd fight until the last man, but likewise, another word, and they'd all surrender peacefully. Nuke Tokyo and you'd probably have a huge mess on your hands, what with everyone believing the Emperor to be half-deity.

Godzilla- I think that pearl Harbor didn't receive a favorable opening because it was a crappy movie!!! :lol:

I think it's fair for Japanese to feel victimized by the atomic bombings, as they were the first and only to be attacked in such a way. America wasn't the first country to be attacked by terrorism, yet after 9/11 many Americans were bitching and moaning as if no one else in the the world could possibly understand our pain.

Being the victims of nuclear attack is a dubious honor the Japanese alone can hold, I think they have every right to a sense of victimization.

Anyhow, I think this movie looks neat.

Yeah, yeah. I know Pearl Harbor was a bad movie.

A U-Boat that surrendered to the U.S. ,when Germany was defeated, and BEFORE the dropping of the 2 A-Bombs, had aboard enriched uranium

Probably not enriched. One author claims it was enriched; others disagree.

Of course, the Allied firebombings of Dresden, Tokyo, and other cities produced civilian deaths on the same scale as the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. (A few posters have alluded to this.) Much of the fuss on all sides about the atomic bombings overlooks this fact.

nice...too bad about the aforementioned changes. maybe if a nice surcouf desk model was already available I wouldn't be so down on this bastardized version...but as it is it don't seem right. Besides an expensive Pit-Road resin and an OOP Heller injection kit, this seems to be the only full hull representation of the ship.

oh well.

Edited by Phyrox

• 7 months later...

Just watched this movie last night. It's not bad. It kind of drags in the middle, but the action scenes are fun. The story is okay, but the plot isn't exactly water tight. It's always interesting to see a war movie from the Japanese perspective. Interestingly enough, they focused more on questioning the morality of suicide attacks than the a-bombs. I like how the "secret weapon" worked, as it made things interesting without being over the top (she used her ESP to generate detailed, 3-D maps). You can tell that most of the ships were CG, but it didn't detract from the movie too much (no worse than being able to tell they're scale models in other movies). The American actors did a pretty good job as well (rare for a Japanese film).

• 1 month later...

I just watched the movie. Never mind details in the story, just take it simple. A japanese submarine with secret 3D ESP map from a cute girl is set out to stop US dropping the 3rd A bomb on Tokyo. The CG is pretty good, but not real enough. The action scene is very well done. I don't get meaning of all the big talks in the movie, either it is lost in translation to the subtitle, or they are totally BS in the first place. But that doesn't matter, there is a fast forward button. This movie is very anime-like, so we anime fans wouldn't be disappointed.

I just watched the movie.  Never mind details in the story, just take it simple.  A japanese submarine with secret 3D ESP map from a cute girl is set out to stop US dropping the 3rd A bomb on Tokyo.  The CG is pretty good, but not real enough.  The action scene is very well done.  I don't get meaning of all the big talks in the movie, either it is lost in translation to the subtitle, or they are totally BS in the first place.  But that doesn't matter, there is a fast forward button.  This movie is very anime-like, so we anime fans wouldn't be disappointed.

349515[/snapback]

I completely disagree with you on the dialog. I think the discussions were very interesting and give a lot of perspective to what's happening and a good insite into some modern Japanese views of the war. You're also going to miss out on the big conspiracy that's behind the whole story. The story isn't perfect, but ignoring it outright is senseless.

I just watched the movie.  Never mind details in the story, just take it simple.  A japanese submarine with secret 3D ESP map from a cute girl is set out to stop US dropping the 3rd A bomb on Tokyo.  The CG is pretty good, but not real enough.  The action scene is very well done.  I don't get meaning of all the big talks in the movie, either it is lost in translation to the subtitle, or they are totally BS in the first place.  But that doesn't matter, there is a fast forward button.  This movie is very anime-like, so we anime fans wouldn't be disappointed.

349515[/snapback]

I completely disagree with you on the dialog. I think the discussions were very interesting and give a lot of perspective to what's happening and a good insite into some modern Japanese views of the war. You're also going to miss out on the big conspiracy that's behind the whole story. The story isn't perfect, but ignoring it outright is senseless.

349566[/snapback]

So urmm...is this out on fansubs or are you guys watching HK DVDs or something?

349515[/snapback]

349566[/snapback]

Fansub is what I saw. Hunt around the torrent sites and you should find it.

So urmm...is this out on fansubs or are you guys watching HK DVDs or something?

349602[/snapback]

• 2 months later...

Just watched the movie. It was pretty enjoyable. Anything you'd want from a submarine movie.....brotherhood, sacrifice, (you know someone has to die selflessly on the sub to save everyone). Story's fine but abit hokey, CG wasn't top notch but enjoyable nonetheless. Music was great and I realised in the credits its by LucasFilms. ;)

I'm not sure if its lost in translation, but there seems to be a crew for the Lorelei (the mini sub) but only one person pilots it. The girl Paula, is cute. Too bad she doesn't get much screentime or character development. And her body suit's hot. ;)

Totally unimportant to the movie, but can anyonie tell me who are the people who keep running to the torpedo storage room everytime they go into general quarters and seemingly to take cover there? Or are they just torpedo loaders? :lol:

Totally unimportant to the movie, but can anyonie tell me who are the people who keep running  to the torpedo storage room everytime they go into general quarters and seemingly to take cover there? Or are they just torpedo loaders? :lol:

371586[/snapback]

IIRC- Way back in the day when a sub needed to make a speed dive, everyone not actually doing something were sent to the nose of the sub to put more weight in the front, hence to help the nose tip over and dive faster.

Totally unimportant to the movie, but can anyonie tell me who are the people who keep running  to the torpedo storage room everytime they go into general quarters and seemingly to take cover there? Or are they just torpedo loaders? :lol:

371586[/snapback]

IIRC- Way back in the day when a sub needed to make a speed dive, everyone not actually doing something were sent to the nose of the sub to put more weight in the front, hence to help the nose tip over and dive faster.

371694[/snapback]

Oooh....that makes sense. Thanks. ;)

Cool lookin' movie! Has anyone seen it yet? Looks like the release date was March 2005. Weren't they also doing a film about the original Battleship Yamato? I know I saw a trailer for that a while back.

371698[/snapback]

If you read back, you'll see that a number of us have seen it. And yes, they're making a historical, or at least semi-historical Yamato movie.