The Best of Macross

theboxgobbler

I am curious on what you guys think is the best Macross toy/series available old and new, and why its the best. I like the yammie 1/48 just for the fact that it looks like a model (as far as detail) but still transforms, but on the other hand the 1/60 yammies have more diecast and seem to be more girthie but small. I feel the Toynami 1st MPC collection is junk except for the packaging and the cool light up visors. The alpha fighters are pretty damn sweet in battleoid mode with decals applied but they are definitlly a transform to the mode you like and leave it cuz they dont like to stay tight for long. Alot of the older Bandai and Gakken is cool for old school reasons but definatly lack the detail. Im new and lookin to get to know some of the people on here so if this is a tired subject im sorry. :o

Edited by theboxgobbler

I'm all for the 1/48th. I think it has the best detail, the best transformation, and the best proportions of any VF-1 toys.

Some people disagree with the proportions, thinking that the nosecone is too large, the chestplate is too wide, and the hands too small, but hey, that's all opinion so look at all modes on each toy and decide wich you think looks the best.

Die cast content isn't a big deal with me, so long as the quality is there. The diecast on the 1/60 Yamato toys is almost all in the legs.

For non-VF-1 toys, don't imeadiately discount the Bandai Macross 7 VF-17, it looks a helluva lot better than the Bandai VF-19 toys, especially in battroid.

Also, the VB-6 Konig Monster is a must have, if you're willing to shell out the price of one.

Basicially, I suppose what I'm saying, if you're going to get one and only one Valkyrie, get a Yamato 1/48th with FAST Packs. If you're only going to get two Valkyries, make the second one a Konig Monster.

Past that, if you're the sort of person that wants one of every type of VF-1 ever concieved, the 1/60 line has just about all of them.

I can come up with a dozen reasons why each one sucks and why each one is great and even why each one is better than the other. This is all just gonna boil down to what YOU prefer. Some of these things are also comparing apples and oranges (legioss to valk). Consensus from previous threads is, if you can afford it, go 1/48 and don't look back. You know, that could also apply to the Legioss if you're into building variable models...

I really don't like the 1/60s. I would have been happy with the 1/55s but the 1/48 spoiled me.

I gotta agree with >EXO<, i never cared much for the Yamato 1/60 line at all.

I thought it was great that they released so many different types of Vf-1's, but in the end i chose the Bandai 1/55's over them.

Then i got a 1/48, and am like "Bandai who?" :p

I still love all of my Bandai's, but the 1/48 line is something else.

Props to Yamato for those.

Speaking of Yamato, i also don't mind the 1/72 Macross Plus figures.

Boy, if they released those in a 1/48 scale i would be all over it!

IMO, they break down as follows:

Best VF-1 toy for kids (durability): Badai 1/55

Best VF-1 toy for the adult collector: Yamato 1/48

Best injection molded (only, AFAIK) VF-1 transforming kit : Bandai 1/72, 1/100

Best injection molded VF-1 (also M0 & M+) non transforming kit: Hasegawa 1/72

Best resin kit: no opinion ...never had one.

IMO, they break down as follows:

Best VF-1 toy for kids (durability):  Badai 1/55

Best VF-1 toy for the adult collector:  Yamato 1/48

Best injection molded (only, AFAIK) VF-1 transforming kit :  Bandai 1/72, 1/100

Best injection molded VF-1 (also M0 & M+) non transforming kit:  Hasegawa 1/72

Best resin kit:  no opinion ...never had one.

I pretty much agree with every part of this but I would like to add a few more.

Best resin kit:

(Non-Transformable) Club-M VF-1 fighter/battroid

(Transformable) IHP conversion kit for the hasegawa VF-1

Also a new category

Best VF-1 toy for a poor adult collector: yamato 1/60

those are my preference. ;)

Edited by AlphaHX

best of what? durability?...design?...pos?....quality control?....overall?

every macross toy is best of something.

banpresto best puddle of plastic in the 5 dollar range

1/48 yammto best design

yammto best at unconsistant quality control.

mpc best led lighted bootleg ;)

bandai 1/55 best paperweight and assault weapon.

I don't see why a lot of people don't like the 1/60; sure, the 1/48 is now pretty much universally regarded as the best, but I think the 1/60 has better opportunities and the perfect size for whipping out and randomly playing around with. The MPC VFs are obviously crap, no need to go through that again. The MPC Alphas are good if you didn't get a QC bomb, but those aren't really Macross toys. Never owned a 1/55, so I really can't say.

And the 1/100 Banprestos are as sturdy as what you're paying for them.

I've got one 1/48, and I love it so much more than my 1/60, but the 1/72 Mac+ lin is growing on me. Yes I realized I'm in the minoirity here, but I heart my YF-19. The PT of the 1/48 makes it the best all around tho, but for playability I'm actually not too big on it.... the minute you touch it, the fast pack jet booster missile pod flies off and the RMS missiles go crashing off. WO/ FPs tho, the 1/48 is a blast. The 1/60 is just kind of annoying.

I am curious on what you guys think is the best Macross toy/series available old and new, and why its the best. I like the yammie 1/48 just for the fact that it looks like a model (as far as detail) but still transforms, but on the other hand the 1/60 yammies have more diecast and seem to be more girthie but small. I feel the Toynami 1st MPC collection is junk except for the packaging and the cool light up visors. The alpha fighters are pretty damn sweet in battleoid mode with decals applied but they are definitlly a transform to the mode you like and leave it cuz they dont like to stay tight for long. Alot of the older Bandai and Gakken is cool for old school reasons but definatly lack the detail. Im new and lookin to get to know some of the people on here so if this is a tired subject im sorry. :o

For the most part, I find the Yammie 1/60's to be similar to your description of the MPC Alpha's. Actually, my Scott Alpha manages to stay up even when I shake the desk a little when moving around. I've stopped standing my 1/60's back up as they're just going to get knocked over yet again. Once I have a better place for them I'll stand them up again.

Don't have a 1/48 yet so I can't comment on those. I'd like to eventually pick one or two up but with most of my spare money going into computer and musical instrument stuff, I just haven't had the cash to spare. The 1/100 Monster looks to push out even further the possibility of me getting a 1/48 :( I just need to win the Lotto :D

I still like my chunky monkey 1/55 Bandai's. Rock solid and I worry more about my little cousins hurting themselves than the valks. Haven't bothered with the MPC Valks with better options out there.

1/55s rule all. Nostalgic value is pretty much the most important thing in my mind. The 1/48s are pretty to look at but they will never be as meaningful to me as the 1/55. That toy amazes me even today.

Now I just want the rest of the line reissued!

:mellow: