VF2-SS Color schemes

armentage

I've recently gotten my hands on a 1/100 Bandai VF2SS transforming kit.

I hate painting white... I've been trying for 20 years, and I've never mastered it.

So I want to paint my VF2 with some alternative color scheme. Something dramatic and bold, like a Max & Miriya, but not plain old primary colors.

Any suggestions? It's the armored kit with the Super pack and pods on the arms & legs, big giant gun on its back.

Well , first , whats your problem with the white finish ?

I usualy add a drop of yellow or balck , to break bright of the pure white .

If you want to try something differente , I think that a metalic finish will be a good try ..

take a look on this image

Well , first , whats your problem with the white finish ?

I usualy add a drop of yellow or balck , to break bright of the pure white .

Well, what will happen is that I need to apply 4-5 coats before it looks right. Either the color underneath will show (this particular hit has some blue molded pieces), or it will streak, or collect in the corners and look too thick. Invariably, the fine details will be covered and lost.

So I try primers... white primers, and by the time i get the paint on, it looks too thick.

Airbrush works well, except I'll mess it up again when I go back to paint neighboring dark regions, and get discouraged.

Basically, I hate painting white ;(

I do like that color scheme! Light gray-blue... rare colors on an Valkyrie

As someone whose just spent the last month or so researching alternative schemes for the SV-51 all I can recoment is checking the web for experimental or test camo for simular aircraft. Look at all the F-18 or F-16 camo schemes out there. Low-viz is currently the most popular (and can look really cool). Me, I'm fond of ground attack schemes.

I'll see if I can get some of the illustrations up.

god i would give anything if they would release some more kits or stuff of this design, come on yamato a 1/48 would be incredible ;)

I'm a big fan of the VF-2. It's one of the few valkyries that looks like it was truly meant for space combat.

It's only flaw are those pesky wings!

Right now I'm spraying it (with a single-action airbrush) Dark Ghost Gray, as I put together the limbs and body (I feel like there are lots of parts on the 1/100 bandai kit that would be harder to paint when it's fully assembled)

I'm trying to decide between bold light blue (brighter than Max blue) or Ostrich orange high lights on the VF-2 itself. The Super Pack parts will be a nice tan color (like the tan parts on an Ostrich)

I can't shake the feel that since it is a Space combat craft, low visilibity would be a little silly, but all black would be boring :) So I figure, if you're already not camoflaged, you might as be as exciting as possible.