An aircraft that I've just discovered...

Skypoet

pzl230.jpg

... And to say that I thought that the VF-4's design was far-fetched!

Other images (there are only a few on the web, sory):

1.jpg

2.jpg

One more pic that shows the similarity with the VF-4:

skorpion5.gif

Ciao!

... Or maybe that just means that Shoji Kawamori would have "made" a very good aerospace engineer! I would have liked to have him as an engineering teacher... "Hi students, today we'll study the mechanics of flight of a vakyrie fighter in gerwalk mode, we have to rush a little because next week we'll see the aerodynamical problems (shockwaves) of intra-atmospheric valkyrie transformation and the mid-term exam is in two weeks..."

By the way, what someone mistook for Purina's logo is the emblem of polish military aircraft, just like =*= (*=star) would be that of US military aircraft.

Or maybe Purina cat food can fly?

Sheesh !!!

Didn't know Purina, the cat food company had an airforce. Look at the logo on the tail...

:lol:

That's the Polish Air Force, as a BTB.

Near as I can find it's a mock up that never flew.

http://www.dakotacom.net/~robertz/skorpion_page.html

and he're another odd one.

7.jpg

The page linked above says it first appeared in mock-up in 1992, so if anyone influenced anyone, the Poles were influenced by Kawamori. Good taste on their part.

Purina makes more than just cat food--they make food for all kinds of animals, including Rabbit Chow, Monkey Chow, and until recently People Chow (by which I mean Chex cereals).

Hey guys!

I showed these pics on another forum and the story of this prototype is very funny according to a member of that other forum:

An aerospace engineer was about to leave the engineering department for vacations. Before doing that he made several sketches "just for fun" for the skorpio, he made several very "cartoonish", acrricatural plans for the skorpio and left them on the project manager's desk.

He came back one month later and a new project was launched...

Technically, this is a blended wing body aircraft: the body "blends in the wing", because the central chord of the wing is very large, almost as large as the fuselage is long :) So the fuselage provides some lift and less drag.

Not many English references on this plane, but I found what appears to be a working RC model...(scroll to bottom of the page)

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~aiklos/my_models.htm

A little inaccurate, but still nice.

More pics of the same model, and some movie clips: http://www.old.modelarstwo.org.pl/lotnicze.../klos/scorpion/

Edit: If you want to see it fly, skip the first two clips. It looks more like an RC glider than a powered model.

Edited by ewilen