Stinger Reborne

Knight26

Knight26, have you ever played a game called Renegade Legion: Interceptor, either in board form or the old old OLD computer game?

Gotta take some pics of the designs there to show you why some of your designs are fairly... similar* to those.

*similar as in general idea -- box wings, gull wings, even my (one big) ventral fin idea came from there.

I am familiar with it, played the game back in the day, and still have one of the manuals. I do admit that Valkyire, ex-tenrack, bomber did have its general shape inspired by the Gladius heavy fighter, one of my favorite in the game. Looking at the designs there is maybe a slight, and I do mean slight resemblence I can see, but I do not see a true box-wing on any of them. If you can point out some more similarities go ahead as I do not want to be accused of copying anyone elses designs.

BTW tomorrow I will see how the single FSW with fins looks.

Edited by Knight26

Good -- saves me the trouble of taking pics and transferring then..

Remember the Penetrator? That's one of the more "box" designs in the game; granted, it's not really in the same league as your design here, but as a general idea. Nobody's going to successfully challenge you on copyright terms there.

With regards to Opus' idea, you might want to review the Space Gull design to make sure you don't come too close.

The single large ventral fin idea I was proposing earlier comes from TOG single-seat designs, which tends to use those. I think the dual fins you have now is a bit off-ish but I can live with those.

Technically the Penetrator is not a box wing, it's just funky and in an atmosphere a drag magnet, I always thought the Penetrator was a pretty bad design with those wings. Opus' concept is for a dihedral wing, the Space Gull was an anhedral wing. I tried the Dihedral wing and it really did not feel right, plus unless I had it emerge from another anhedral wing first it would creat sevre stability problems in ATM flight. I will play with the single ventral fin again, but I am not sure about it, when I have played with it before it didn't look right.

Never did like the Penetrator airframe design but it has fairly nice armaments. :)

Wasn't following Opus fully, so not too sure if he had wanted the wings up or down. How about Corsair/ Stuka wings? Wait, I think you've already considered that idea..

Hmm, how about redesigning the wing glove to be a forward-swept variable wing? Or, hehe, a set of forward-swept variable box wings? :D

As for the fin, at the end of the day, it's your design, so if it doesn't feel right to you it ain't right.

Wasn't following Opus fully, so not too sure if he had wanted the wings up or down.

Man that's the story of my life. I have weird tastes. If you check out the first page of this thread I drew an ultra crude sketch of my idea that should make it clearer. It really needs the long ventral fin to compensate for the extreme upward angle of the wings. At least visually, I know crap about aerodynamics.

post-25-1093035266.gifpost-25-1093035266.gifpost-25-1093035266.gif Holy Shreg MSW that is beautiful. It probably won't work for this design, but I fragging love it. There is a later fighter that comes in and replaces the main interceptor, and then slowly the 5000, and I think I just found it. If you don't mind I think I will copy that design as the Splicer-6000. Holy Shreg that is a beauty, too much so to be used as decommed fighter.

Kin, there are no tiled textures on here, the textures just look out of place right now since the rest in untextured. And, which cannons in particular are you talking about, I mean I have reused these weapons on several designs with no comments thus far.

OK now for the update: I played with the ventrals some more at work, the pic is attached first, the textures are not on my work comp so they did not render, the rest won't even have any textures applied for now. I'm still not digging the single ventral, maybe it's the placement, if anyone can suggest a good place to put it that won't intefere with the missile and torpedo tubes I will play with it some more, but for now it is on the scrap pile. I then redid the wings, I think they look a lot better now, basically I reshaped them and moved them in about a foot, taking two feet of the total wingspan. THoughts?

post-26-1106942385_thumb.jpg

Opus, I'm not sure I entirely do except they are very straight, what if they were swept back more? Funny story, did you know that the early model Cessna 152/172's originally had a straight up and down vertical stab? Well once jets started going faster then speed of sound Cessna redesigned them with a swept back tail, keeping the same tail area, just to make them look faster, despite the fact that it only increased their top speed by about 5-10 knots? And, as a result they started selling better.

I do believe with the help of the Bowtie wearing Penguin, Opus, we have struck gold on the dorsal/ventral fin configuration. (If you don't get that reference you better pick up a newspaper and read the comics page.) I played with the sketch that Opus Provided and came up with the following picture. I would take another shot with the ventral fin lit but I am killing my poor work laptop as it is, so that will have to wait until I get home. I need to play with the dorsal fins some more and will have to repanel the missile/torpedo pack but overall the configuration works I think. The one thing I don't like is how that straight down fin looks from directly front or aft, something about major components at right angles to each other just tends to bug me for some reason. But I do believe we have the configuration just about locked in now, took long enough, lol.

post-26-1106953874_thumb.jpg

Ok, I played with the fins a little and I do believe we have design lock for the major salient components, now to move onto the details, I will start with the new wing tip cannons the move onto the thrusters, vents and control surfaces before moving onto the panelling. Here is the temporary reg views, any comments?

post-26-1106968287_thumb.jpg

Ok, update time:

The Wingtip cannons are in, but I am not 100% satisfied with them, especially the barrel, any thoughts?

The manuevering thrusters are in.

The ventral and dorsal fins are detailed, though I think I need to add some position lights to the Ventral.

The Dorsal equipment hatches are in.

The Torpedo/Missile pack has been repanelled to work with the new concept.

I will start in on the wings tonight, then the engines, I still need to trim some excess off first, then start on the nose, and after that start texturing.

post-26-1107117105_thumb.jpg

Update time:

The wings are finished, but I just noticed a major problem. I forgot the sensor pods. So now I need to decide where or not to redo the fins to add the pods or add pods somewhere else. Right now I am actually thinking of integrating the sensor pods into the wings, either by just saying that the leading or trailing edges have sensors, or pointing sensors to the wings, either on the leading/trailing edges or in bulges on the wings. Any thoughts?

Anyway I will start in on the engines tonight or tomorrow while I figure out what to do about the sensors. Hopefully I will have all modelling complete by tuesday so I can have the texturing finished by next weekend. Then onto the next project.

post-26-1107139142_thumb.jpg

Edited by Knight26

Ok, update time and a whole F-load of pictures. There are only a couple minor bits I still have to model in, because I was an idiot and forgot them, the sensor pods, and the De-grav pads. I know where I am going to put the de-gravs, i think, but have not figured out the sensor pod locations yet, typically they go on the fins, any ideas?

post-26-1107229774_thumb.jpg

Ok, now expect for the little postions lights and antennae, we are done, the de-gravs are in, the sensor pods are in, though they make the tails look a little funky, but oh well. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix them pipe before I texture. BTW I will texture the tails last.

post-26-1107235382_thumb.jpg