Flash asteroids game

Doktor Gonzo

Very Cool Game. The sound does go in and out. I personally suck at games and a nice feature would be to give a little leway when your new guy appears. I don't know how many times I died before I even got a shot off. LOL

All in all great game, good graphics and sounds.

Rob

Agreed, having a little bit of time right when you spawn that you are invulnerable would be good. Also, a suggestion on key layout - if i remember correctly, the down arrow on the old game was linked to turning 180 degrees - and there was a seperate key for the power-up fire. Might make it a little easier to stop once you get going...

Hmmm, all good suggestions.

The key layout is easily changable, I'll probably do that. The respawn invulnerability also - I knew it was a problem, but for some reason I never thought of just a few seconds of invulnerability - I was contemplating complicated schemes to detect passing rocks and delay the respawn. As for the sound issues... I'm a Flash noob, and I can't seem to figure out how to get things to settle down. It's not the samples, nor is it the stereo code - just seems to be something that happens if you try to play too many sounds at once. And the collision detection is the roughest of all - as it is, I'm using Flash's inbuilt methods, which for bitmaps are limited to simple bounding boxes. Getting more precision there would either require switching to vector rocks (something I'm not anxious to do, I named the dang thing Rasteroids after all!) or writing my own detection routine. And while that might be an interesting exercise, it'll have to wait until I have more time to toss at it...