The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

What is that last blue one, it looks stupid.  I love when I see a front engine car with rear air intakes, it takes a hardcore dildo to do that.

336065[/snapback]

It's a twin turbo Supra with a hideous body kit on it. Amazing car... but the current owner seems to have pretty poor taste.

336067[/snapback]

Wow, they really fuct that car up. Whats the deal with the exposed innercooler, is it so people know its a turbo? A rock flies in there and that thing is toast.

What is that last blue one, it looks stupid.  I love when I see a front engine car with rear air intakes, it takes a hardcore dildo to do that.

336065[/snapback]

I agree that it is an over-the-top kit, but I would wager that most rear intakes you see on front engined cars are there to cool the brakes. At least, that is how I have always understood them. So, it isn't as stupid as front wheel drive cars with fat rear tires and large rear-deck spoilers.

336065[/snapback]

I agree that it is an over-the-top kit, but I would wager that most rear intakes you see on front engined cars are there to cool the brakes. At least, that is how I have always understood them. So, it isn't as stupid as front wheel drive cars with fat rear tires and large rear-deck spoilers.

336097[/snapback]

True, but IMO (and that isn't worth much) the "cool the breaks" thing is BS, they just want the car to look like a Ferrari, and it never does.

the front-mount is just an aftermarket thing for better cooling/more power.

In the case of this car, yes. But I just love all the idiots around here driving around in their ten year old Hondas with goofy body kits and fake intercoolers showing through the grill. I've seen only one local import with a turbo and true intercooler setup. Even saw an idiot at a car show with some type of speaker mounted on his Civic that made the sound of a blow off valve...what a tool. Another reason the import scene here leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (Not to mention the unpainted body kits, spray painted (badly) interiors, and the coffee can size tailpipe tips shooting flames). For every one nicely done import, I've seen twenty that look like pure ass.

Same thing for the Maranello. On a street car anyway, a wing that big is just superfluous. The speeds necessary to see any benefit from it--and those big brake ducts--would be highly illegal and just ludicrous on the street. I guess those, along with intercoolers-in-the-front-grille is the automotive equivalent of a peacock's plumage, or a gorilla's silver back fur; i.e. a visual display to enhance perceived "prowess." Looks kinda cool though, when not done to excess...

um has anyone thought of aftermarket radiator,,,thats exactly what mine looks like,,,as far as rocks are conserned, ive run aluminum in damn near every car Ive built and some are pretty out thier like a Cobra clone I helped with,,,,rocks make a dent, but the aluminum is pretty malable so it just makes a dent,,,,,,ussually

In the case of this car, yes. But I just love all the idiots around here driving around in their ten year old Hondas with goofy body kits and fake intercoolers showing through the grill. I've seen only one local import with a turbo and true intercooler setup. Even saw an idiot at a car show with some type of speaker mounted on his Civic that made the sound of a blow off valve...what a tool. Another reason the import scene here leaves a bad taste in my mouth. (Not to mention the unpainted body kits, spray painted (badly) interiors, and the coffee can size tailpipe tips shooting flames). For every one nicely done import, I've seen twenty that look like pure ass.

336219[/snapback]

Sounds like the scene just about anywhere. I've stopped associating with non-racing car guys (import or domestic) just because I can't stand the ego and stupidity of 'tarding up your ride (rides like poo, loud as hell, more dangerous, more attention from the cops) and not even making an attempt to race it. There's no reason a strictly street car needs to be slammed, have a gutted interior and a loud exhaust.

Well that's quite a graphic display of physics at work: "two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time" 

Or is that just from that line from Timecop:huh:

336623[/snapback]

TIMECOP!!! I LOVE that movie.

336219[/snapback]

Sounds like the scene just about anywhere. I've stopped associating with non-racing car guys (import or domestic) just because I can't stand the ego and stupidity of 'tarding up your ride (rides like poo, loud as hell, more dangerous, more attention from the cops) and not even making an attempt to race it. There's no reason a strictly street car needs to be slammed, have a gutted interior and a loud exhaust.

336348[/snapback]

why own a corvette, or a m3 then? depending what you do and how you do it i guess. Speaking of riding like poo, went to luch today and boss riding in the passenger seat couldnt see how I could tolerate driving a 1 ton truck to work everyday

Aw, this is nice. Apparently this concept coupe has a s'charged 6.0L V8 and Corvette underpinnings. Doesn't seem like a retro design nearly so much as it seems like a deliberate, well thought out direction from the outset. This one-ups cars like the T'bird, Chev SSR, New Beetle et. al.; cranks the "inspired by past designs" feel up a notch. Only so much you can do with the contemporary, "jelly bean on wheels" modern car layout, I guess. I say this because it's not some custom bodyshop makeover, but rather a "factory" concept from Holden.

post-1488-1129319000_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1129319010_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1129319021_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1129319031_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1129319043_thumb.jpeg

post-1488-1129319055_thumb.jpeg

Edited by reddsun1

Wow, I would love it if a car company would tackle something like that.

If someone out there decided to make beautiful cars again...

Not much chance of that though.

336690[/snapback]

problem is that when you take and put the front bumper whier it needs to go, minimum aproach angles impact and radius standards it wouldnt look as good anymore

some US standards (FMVSS) (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards)

2.5MPH no visible damge at full front/back/30 degree front pendulum (5star is 5MPH) (which killed the chrome bumper uless you want those shock bumpers from the earlly-mid 80's) (trucks/suv's have different standards)

no smaller then 8MM radiuses on exterior in pedestrian hit areas (sharp bumpers or grills that stick out further then the bumper) (this was a european standard that the US adopted for easier exporting)

Ever notice how fat the "A" pillars got in the mid 90's,, those are for your noggin if you dont wear a seatbelt they are stuffed with foam or molded with ribs about 1 inch past the sheetmetal

Wow, I would love it if a car company would tackle something like that.

If someone out there decided to make beautiful cars again...

Not much chance of that though.

336690[/snapback]

REALLY!?? I am kinda sick of retro. Funny thing about it, they go to update it and nobody cares. After all it is retro.

Keep in mind, car companies don't want to sell you one car, they want to sell you cars for the rest of your life.

It isn't the retro-aspect that I like, it is that it is clearly designed to be more than a car. It isn't a classic Bugatti or Alfa-Romeo, but it is beautiful for beauty's sake.

Too many concept cars try to look "aggressive," or "cute," or whatever. This car evinces a design philosophy that I am drawn to.

It isn't the retroness that I like, but the aesthetic itself.

To my eye it is very similar in many ways to the Maybach Exelero concept that came out a few months back. Both evoke the lines of earlier cars, but really succeed because they "feel" like cars that were designed by artists, not corporate committees.

(although the Exelero could use different headlights)

Edited by Phyrox

It isn't the retro-aspect that I like, it is that it is clearly designed to be more than a car.  It isn't a classic Bugatti or Alfa-Romeo, but it is beautiful for beauty's sake.

Too many concept cars try to look "aggressive," or "cute," or whatever.  This car evinces a design philosophy that I am drawn to.

It isn't the retroness that I like, but the aesthetic itself.

To my eye it is very similar in many ways to the Maybach Exelero concept that came out a few months back.  Both evoke the lines of earlier cars, but really succeed because they "feel" like cars that were designed by artists, not corporate committees.

(although the Exelero could use different headlights)

337364[/snapback]

Wow, thats deep.

Personally, I don't find beauty in any of these old designs. I look at it and I can't help but think... "Didn't this thing come out in the forties?"

And I dislike forties aesthetics. I guess I have to be an artist to understand or appreciate this so-called beauty, but I just don't see it.

And I dislike forties aesthetics. I guess I have to be an artist to understand or appreciate this so-called beauty, but I just don't see it.

337394[/snapback]

I'm with you, it's not a very appealing design. It looks like it's about as much fun to drive as a delivery truck. Ultimately the whole retro thing is a bust, it's impossible to capture the same essence and appeal of the classics (which is largely due to nostalgia) and comes off looking unoriginal. WHy don't car manufacturers try making a car that looks new and appealing?

The Pt Cruiser and VW Bug already are starting to look dated and "old," because those retro re-imaginings don't age well. I'd expect a similar fate for the new Mustangs. The SSR was always ugly though. Ugly and incredibly stupid.

Personally, I don't find beauty in any of these old designs. I look at it and I can't help but think... "Didn't this thing come out in the forties?"

337394[/snapback]

I get the exact same feeling when I look at ANY highly rounded-off car. The PT Cruiser, the Prowler, the Viper, the 300 M, the Magnum..... looks like a trend for one company, but GM & Ford have done the same thing just to a different degree(the Impala & the Taurus).

It's pretty much only a cycle hard edged, smooth, round, and back again. The Mustang and the Corvette do it like every other car. Keeps them 'fresh' looking.

My new dreamcar...

post-22-1129591427_thumb.jpg

The new Alfa Romeo Brera is without a doubt the most beautiful hatchback I've ever seen and just re-affirms my belief that Alfa makes the best-looking non-exotic cars on the market today. New word is that Alfa will be releasing a GTA version of the Brera, which will be powered by a 4.2l Maserati V8 with 440bhp. Price is supposedly around 70,000euro which is a lot, but it's kind of irrelevant because it doesn't look like Alfa will be back in the States anytime soon...

For a general idea of what the Brera looks like:

post-22-1129591475_thumb.jpg

The Pt Cruiser and VW Bug already are starting to look dated and "old," because those retro re-imaginings don't age well. I'd expect a similar fate for the new Mustangs. The SSR was always ugly though. Ugly and incredibly stupid.

337400[/snapback]

Personally, I rather like the way the "new" Beetle looks. It captures the essence of the original perfectly and yet is brand spanking new at the same time. It could use some updating, much like the latest generation Celica did, but otherwise the general look of the car is still pretty appealing to me.

Never understood the PT Cruiser though. What the hell?

Never understood the PT Cruiser though. What the hell?

337441[/snapback]

There was a Frenchman interviewed on TV not so long ago, the same guy who was paid millions to advise Chrysler on how their new car should look. The Frenchman is a psychologist who studies behaviour's roots, expousing that imprinting that occured in our youths could be exploited to sell products.

His first design input for Chrysler was... the PT Cruiser. Supposedly the design harkens back to the security children first felt from their mothers. Maybe some parts of the PT look like a woman from a child's perspective?

He's gone on to design more stuff, like ovens and fridges and other appliances that don't look like boxes with Star Wars control panels.

You mean the IS350?

I really don't know what to make of it. The numbers sure are impressive, but I don't like the styling all too much. The IS300 is just so much hotter.

In fact, there's a good deal of modern styling that I don't like. What's with the thick doors, for example? Used to be that windows were big enough for me to see through, and I rather liked my seat near the floor, and I liked my cars small.

Is that weird?

Allways had a soft spot for the Esprit. allmost bought a V8, but it was the second year of production and they had a few problems with electrical engine managment and the clutch was a bit sloppy. The guy only wanted $55,,,,ended up buying a LT4 vette instead (same performance for a lot cheaper, not to mention the cost of maintaining), the 2001's are probabky the best car they put out to date cept for the Elise quality wise. Talked to a lot of owners and they loved the quirks of the cars

Which one? Exige?

337528[/snapback]

He's probably talking about this.

337532[/snapback]

Nah, I like the Elise. 27mpg, thats like a hybrid, but it does 0-60 in 4.7 and runs cones faster than ANY Ferrari. Just awesome.

onefortheroad.jpg

Okay, anybody else got a name for this disturbing new trend towards putting rediculously oversized and goofy looking chrome wheels onto old "boats," i.e. older, full size sedans and classic cars [for the most part]? It seems to be a distinctly rural phenomenon; down here "in the country," guys seem to love doing this to draw attention to their rides. Rice Boys everywhere must be breathing a collective sigh of relief at the draw of much deserved contempt and scorn [at least that's what they ought to be getting] from thier own otherwise cheesy looking socio-cultural statements...."whoa man! that thing looks even shi--ier than MY ride!" Don't get me wrong; I kinda like big old sedans--my first car was a boat: '79 Buick Park Avenue. That joint was straight up smooth, man. B))

It's bad enough that they decide to decorate their rides with such gaudy, oversized excesses in chrome plating; but they usually demonstrate their absolutely sh-t taste in their selections--picking designs that totally clash with the lines of the repsective car, or some goofy chrome-pinwheel-lookin-sh-t that'd look just plain stupid no matter what you'd have put them on. What should we call these wagon-wheeled dork-mobiles? Any suggestions?

post-1488-1129652503.jpg

post-1488-1129652516.jpg

post-1488-1129652531.jpg

post-1488-1129652543.jpg

Edited by reddsun1