What show of Macross grabbed you?

Queadlunn-Rau

Like many others, I started with Robotech. It was really a love and hate thing. Love it because I got to see Macross (kind of). Hate it for HG mixing the 3 separate animes together. Shortly after DYRL was out, a friend of mine sent me a tape of DYRL. I watched it at least 20 times for the first month. Even now, DYRL is still my most favorite anime movie :p

I saw Macross for the first time as Robotech when I was a kid. When I got to my teens I rediscovered Robotech and I came across AFM as well as Macross II at my local BlockBuster. The rest is history. The only thing Macross I have yet to see is anything Macross 7 and that Future Chronicle. I suppose I could always d/l M7 from one of those anime bitorrent places...seeing as it won't be released here in the States anytime soon. ...Anyway....

Transformers in a way for me!? What you say!? Well, liked Transformers for the robots, etc, then saw a commercial for Robotech Macross Saga and saw well, robots which was the initial hook that drew me in. After that hook, when I started watching the show the hook shifted to the actual story. I got into the characters and was surprised to see people die, etc. It was a cartoon soap opera and quite different than anything I had seen before on Canadian TV at the time. The robots (mech) were still cool too :)

Later I found out all about the HG stuff and seeked out SDF Macross info which led me to Macross Plus, Macross 2, DYRL, SDF Macross, Macross 0 and Macross 7.

Whole lot of Macross... :D but it was that first Macross / RT that grabbed me and started my interest in Anime...

Cheers,

Actually, it wasn't Robotech that sparked my love for everything Macross; it was the bootleg toys from Taiwan. My cousin bought me a bootleg SDF Macross figure a little bigger than your average G.I.Joe. It could transform to battle- cruiser mode to storm-attacker. The box it came in had cool artwork from the show. Cell pictures of Capt. Global, Misa, Minmay, and Roy. I thought to myself now this would be cool tv show. A year later, Robotech came on the air-waves. True story.

I first exposed to Macross by watching a few episodes in Cantonese dubbed version/VHS format during the 80s and when my mom bought me the First Bandai Super Valyrie I immediately fell in love with show !!! Of course the current 1/48 scale Yamato also maintain this love !!!

I loved SDFM in the 80's, both my parents were fans of it too, which helped me see the original as opposed to Robotech which was aired in the US. My Dad loved the VFs and my Mom liked Misa and Minmay.

I was a fan then but I became a finatic when I saw DYRL in 85. It was just awesome beyond words.