CARS

areaseven

This movie doesn't open here in Hong Kong until July, bucking the recent trend of simultaneous worldwide release for summer blockbusters. :(

However, I showed my 2 year old son, who absolutely loves cars, the online trailers at the weekend and he really enjoyed watching them.

I'll probably buy him the DVD when it comes out, as he's still a bit young for the cinema experience.

Graham

i dug this movie, but i'm a car nut.

did anyone notice that the Rust-eze guys on the stage were "Click and Clack" from Car Talk on NPR?

didn't notice?  well they were..

406972[/snapback]

My girlfriend actually pointed this out to me!

I totally loved this movie, and will probably see it again. I was going crazy trying to spot a Mustang in it, and I think I saw one as one of the race TV producers. Well, at least I saw what looked like Cragar 5-spoke wheels, so I'll look more closely next time. :D

Well, you have to be a major car nut to know the voices behind most of the supporting cast. I don't know those two guys, though.

And why did Disney/Pixar put Bob Costas (Cutlass) in the movie if he's not even an auto racing announcer? They should've gotten a real racing announcer for that role instead.

407003[/snapback]

Probably because Costas is more widely known then singular sports announcers. And I've never personally understood the whole 'love affair' that people have with him anyways. He's boring to listen to, he has little to no vocal character, and often sounds rude when talking to other announcers/guests. But the last thing I'd wanna hear is the idiot ex-driver announcers from NASCAR(Indy or F1) in a movie.

JsARCLIGHT, I like how you've put the point about 'kiddie film' in THE BAD section, excellent move! It really highlights the fact that people are still looking at animation as 'kiddie' stock instead of looking at the basis or even pre-viewing the film before bringing thier little bastards into watch.

JsARCLIGHT, I like how you've put the point about 'kiddie film' in THE BAD section, excellent move! It really highlights the fact that people are still looking at animation as 'kiddie' stock instead of looking at the basis or even pre-viewing the film before bringing thier little bastards into watch.

407249[/snapback]

I find it sad that CARS is being marketed for children only in the US, there is virtually no marketing of this movie to an older audience. I feel that is a failing of Disney's marketing department... they have never known how to properly market a movie. This same marketing influence is spilling over to the critics as well. If you read any of the so called "bad press" reviews that CARS has been getting lately almost all of them are calling the movie "bad" because it does not fit their narrow idea of what a "kid's movie" should be.

But judging by how popular and money making Pixar's last few "more mature" efforts have been perhaps someone in the marketing department will finally wake up for Ratatoule and market it accodingly.

I saw it this weekend. My take on it was that half of the story was way over kids heads.

The theatre I saw it in Sunday morning was packed with families with kids, about an hour into the movie the kids had nearly all lost interest, when the story slows down and goes to the "small towns a suffering in America due to impatience" subplot, I had little terds patting me on the head and playing tag in the aisles.

I think the theme is a gret topic for discussion, documentary whatever, but in a movie aimed at kids whose parents were still infants when the small towns in our country started to die, it was just way, way over their heads.

I love Pixar films, this one was my least favorite, I loath the main voice actors in the film "Larry the cable dummy" and Owen "I can hear his smooshed nose through the screen" Wilson, I couldn't forget them for the characters, they didn't help me immerse myself in the movie. I liked the story, but it didn't hold the attention of the intended audience, which in turn resulted in a poor theatre experience for me (although most people I talk to agree that common courtesy beign what it is today is the real culprit there).

The cameos didn't bother me, because I detest sports personalities to the point where I don't watch or suppor them, so they might as well have been extras from off the street I didn't recognize the voices enough to pull me out of the movie to think about some idiot with too much money, dead race car driver's son was in the movie? Cool, whatever.

The morals of the story were good, I liked the message of the movie, but for me at least, it just wasn't my favorite Pixar flick. I still think it is good and better than a lot of stff out there, but my expectations for a Pixar flick are very high.

Saw it last night. Thought it incredibly well done, and was surprised just how much of it was geared at adults. After reading some of your comments, I'm now realizing how little there was for the kids. I'm not that big a car nut, but I know about and appreciate enough of auto racing that the movie still sucked me in, and I loved the detail and realism that the movie captured despite being a animation with kiddie aesthetics. Was cool seeing little details the cars in the race swerving back and forth in the beginning of the race to warm their tires, and I really appreciated the nostalgic history lesson on Route 66 and the old car culture that I never quite understood till now.

And I recognized the Rust-eze guys as Click and Clack, but not until they said their "Don't drive like my brother" line.

I'm just disapointed that K.I.T.T. wasnt' in the movie... i mean C'MON!!!

407624[/snapback]

I think the actor that did K.I.T.T's voice might've passed on, I dunno.

no way man

KITT:  "I'm a talking car"

Other Car:  "Don't make eye contact son!!"

407671[/snapback]

Nope. I'm not feeling it. Maybe if Mr. T played a 1982 GMC Custom Van in the movie...

407782[/snapback]

that would've been cool. Although Herbie wouldn't had of been out of place since it's a Disney character (being a sort of Disney movie to begin with)

even just a camio of a bunch of movie cars as "celebritys" in the stands at one of the races would have been neat.

when its on DVD i'm gonna have to see what cars are hidden in the stands.

One thing i really liked was when ever the cars jumped around with like animals (like with their breaks locked)

I'd always thought it'd be cool to have a car that could "walk" like that.

does anyone remember the old cartoons about the animate "vehicles" from the 50's? there was one, might have been disney about a cab that wanted to be a hotrod.

even just a camio of a bunch of movie cars as "celebritys" in the stands at one of the races would have been neat.

when its on DVD i'm gonna have to see what cars are hidden in the stands.

407965[/snapback]

From what I have heard and seen 90% of the vehicles in the stands where duplicates of each other, generated proceedurally using some kind of flocking program. Meaning there are only like ten or so actual different cars in the stands, just duplicated and recolored to make it look like a stadium full of thousands of different cars.

One thing i really liked was when ever the cars jumped around with like animals (like with their breaks locked)

I'd always thought it'd be cool to have a car that could "walk" like that.

does anyone remember the old cartoons about the animate "vehicles" from the 50's?  there was one, might have been disney about a cab that wanted to be a hotrod.

407967[/snapback]

do you mean like that Taxi cartoon I had for my avatar awhile back?