3D Valk and Female Pilot :)

Jackie_Chan_Fan

Hello Macrossworld. First post :)

Well i set out to create something that was macross inspired.... which is why the helmet and pilot outfit isnt exactly a macross design... But as i designed the mech that was also to be macross inspired... i pretty much caved in due to the time frame i want to finish this in.

BTW theres a 360 degree render of the pilot here:

360 rotation render of pilot

So here's the pics :) (a WORK in Progress)

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/images/fighter02.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/images/fighter01.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/images/posttoon02.jpg

http://www.3dluvr.com/rogueldr/images/pilotshaded.jpg

(sorry webserver wont allow images to be displayed in thread)

Edited by Jackie_Chan_Fan

Keep in mind that i do not have any of the valk toys :( My last valk was Jetfire back when Jetfire was new :) I wouldnt mind getting my hands on one of the ones though :)

I'm basically using the sticker sheet schematic as reference for proportions ( the one that was posted in the 3d thread) and i'm eyeballing shape wise based on all of the great repainted valks on the main page.

Its toon shaded anyways, so i guess it doesnt have to be exact.

curious... isnt the whole point that macross is anime? Why wouldnt you want to see an anime face?

I think he means that the style of the face clashes with the style of the body... which happens to be very realistic in porportion, detail, and style. It ends up suggesting a more womanly or realistic face to go with it, when the actual head model is a little bit simplistic and its proportions aren't realistic in comparison. So it ends up looking a little odd. The face itself also isn't very reminiscent of any of the Macross character design styles, and just doesn't quite "fit".

But... take this criticism with a grain of salt... because the ill-fit is largely due to the figure being so well done. The posing is absolutely great.

-Al

I guess that makes sense. Understand though that making an anime face in 3D is hard :) Looking good from all angles is tough with an anime head in 3d.

When i modelled the char, it wasnt for anything macross related. And like i said.. i'm not trying to recreate macross accurately. When i set out to do this, i wanted to do something macross inspired... but quickly turned right back towards macross designs.

So there is a mix of my own style vs what we all know and love as the legendary macross :)

But i suppose thats a good thing because in a sense i can make it a little bit in my own style.

Like i said, i dont even have a valk toy to even model off of. just pictures and the decale sheet. I'm trying to be loose while keeping within the theme.

curious... isnt the whole point that macross is anime? Why wouldnt you want to see an anime face?

I think he means that the style of the face clashes with the style of the body... which happens to be very realistic in porportion, detail, and style. It ends up suggesting a more womanly or realistic face to go with it, when the actual head model is a little bit simplistic and its proportions aren't realistic in comparison. So it ends up looking a little odd. The face itself also isn't very reminiscent of any of the Macross character design styles, and just doesn't quite "fit".

But... take this criticism with a grain of salt... because the ill-fit is largely due to the figure being so well done. The posing is absolutely great.

-Al

Just what he said.

Anyway, it's a fantastic work!!! Impressive!!

The 'anime-like' render plug-in is gorgeous. Hope to see more pics soon. Keep it up!

Manu

Great stuff man! Love the toon renders and the chick is hot in an atheltic kind of way. I see what the other guys are saying about the face, but I agree with you, Anime theme, anime face. But for a model that complex and detailed, the face does not do her justice.

Will your model transform? Splines or polys?

:Dat

If you' re the guy I think you are, then seriously, you so did not need my model....

Sorry bout that, but t's hard to turn over work like that. Really, your stuff is awesome, keep it up!

:dat

Whoah... you're not using the HASEGAWA scans? You gotta, man! I did it the way you're doing it now as well, but having those at the time wouldhave made my life that much easier.

Send me an email and I'll send you the scans I have. you can build right on top of them.

:dat

That really looks great! Thanks for sharing.

That Valk could probably be dropped right into that Area88 OVA and fit right in. (Except that it's not a real world plane.) But the quality looks just as good already. The pilot is ah "nice" as well! ;)