R.O.D The TV

areaseven

rodtv.jpg16up.gif

R.O.D -The TV-

J.C. Staff/Aniplex/Fuji TV/Sony Music Entertainment, 2003

Pioneer Geneon Entertainment (Projected Release Date: Mid-2004)

Directed by Koji Masunari (Read Or Die, Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety).

Rated 16-Up for graphic violence, nudity, mature situations and strong language.

Based on the manga Shin Read Or Die by Hideyuki Kurata (Battle Athletes Victory, Brigadoon) and Ran Ayanaga. Japanese author Nenene Sumiregawa arrives in Hong Kong to promote her best-selling novel when an unknown attacker destroys her hotel room for no apparent reason. She's then offered to stay with three sisters - Michelle, Maggie and Anita - who run a small detective agency. The next day, Nenene is in the middle of an autograph session when the attacker shows himself and threatens her with a bomb. The sisters use their quick reflexes and abilities to subdue the attacker and save Nenene. What surprises Nenene is that these sisters are capable of controlling paper at their own will - an ability used by her longtime friend Yomiko "The Paper" Readman.

Story: B+

Initially, I thought this series would bomb without Yomiko, but I was dead wrong. The series grows on you not only because Nenene looks a lot like Yomiko, but you get loads of non-stop action and more fun with paper. And I'm just talking about the first episode.

Animation: A+

Is it any different from the OAV? Perhaps, since it's animated by J.C. Staff (Azumanga Daioh, Slayers) (Studio DEEN did the OAV) - but the quality is just about the same level. The artwork is clean and the 2D/3D animation is just as outstanding as the original. Taraku Uon (Please Teacher!, Onegai Twins) and Masashi Ishihama (Tenamonya Voyagers) return as character designers.

Soundtrack: A+

If you enjoyed Taku Iwasaki's (Witch Hunter Robin) soundtrack in the OAV, you'll be delighted to know that he's back to deliver more jazz music to the TV series. Just as before, the soundtrack has shades of John Barry (Dr. No and 11 other James Bond films) and Lalo Schiffrin (Mission: Impossible, Enter the Dragon). There's nothing like the Read Or Die theme playing in your stereo system. You'll also be banging your heads on YKZ's jazzy opening theme "R.O.D."

Sub vs. Dub

R.O.D The TV features Satsuki Yukino (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!, Kagome in Inu-Yasha) as Nenene, Chiwa Saito (Lavie in Last Exile, Ayame in Wandaba Style) as Anita, Shoko Kikuchi (Yumiko in Babel II: Beyond Infinity, Hikari in Hand Maid May) as Michelle, Hiromi Hirata as Maggie, Mitsuki Saiga (King of Bandit Jing, Tsukasa in .hack//SIGN) as Junior, Shinichiro Miki (Allen in Escaflowne, Kurz in Full Metal Panic!) as Lee, and Yukari Tamura (Ichigo in Please Teacher!, Ranpha in Galaxy Angel) as Haruhi and Natsumi. Reprising their roles from the OAV are Masami Iwasaki as Drake, Mika Sakenobe as Wendy, and Hozumi Goda (Chirico in Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Hayami in Blue Submarine No. 6) as Joker. And yes, Rieko Miura and Michiko Neya (Melissa in Full Metal Panic!, Rally in Gunsmith Cats) make their return as Yomiko and Nancy, respectively.

No word on which company Pioneer Geneon will commission for the English dub. Hopefully, they'll use either ZRO Limit/Animaze (AKIRA, Trigun) or Bang Zoom! Entertainment (Heat Guy J, Vandread). However, I suspect they'll use New Generation pictures (Hellsing, Haibane Renmei), since their team has the same voice actors used in the OAV.

The Bottom Line

R.O.D The TV starts slow at first, but the action picks up with much gusto. Definitely a title to add on your list for next year.

Links

Sony Music's Official R.O.D The TV Homepage (Japanese)

Fuji TV's Official R.O.D The TV Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

What is 'Read or Dream'? Was that the manga that this show is based on? I see you state that it's based on Shin Read or Dream, then is Read or Dream a different Manga in the same series? I know it followed the Paper sisters.

I've been wondering a lot about this lately.

What is 'Read or Dream'? Was that the manga that this show is based on? I see you state that it's based on Shin Read or Dream, then is Read or Dream a different Manga in the same series? I know it followed the Paper sisters.

I've been wondering a lot about this lately.

I read in some sources that Read Or Dream is the alternate title of Shin Read Or Die, but I can't confirm that.

I just saw the first episode of this and was struck with the utter averageness of it. It's not a bad show; it's just nothing that really makes it stand out. Plus, the music was all recycled from the OVA (except the closing song). This'll be a rental at best when it comes out in the US.

I just saw the first episode of this and was struck with the utter averageness of it. It's not a bad show; it's just nothing that really makes it stand out. Plus, the music was all recycled from the OVA (except the closing song). This'll be a rental at best when it comes out in the US.

:|

Remember, there's probably 20 something more episodes. Can't judge an entire series by the first episode...

The first ep might alienate ppl like my brother cuz he didn't read/look at the mangas and didn't know who Nenene was. I was ok, I'll keep watching it and hope that Yumiko manages to appear in it. ^_^ I like how the sisters have their own abilities with paper. Anita is teh best!

• 2 weeks later...
The first ep might alienate ppl like my brother cuz he didn't read/look at the mangas and didn't know who Nenene was. I was ok, I'll keep watching it and hope that Yumiko manages to appear in it. ^_^ I like how the sisters have their own abilities with paper. Anita is teh best!

My co-worker is a fan of the manga and he was completely alienated by the series, initially claiming that "this chick ain't Nenene." Well, he should've already known that both manga and anime are very, very different.

As for the series itself, I'm currently up to episode 3 (will watch ep. 4 tomorrow night). Nothing much happening, except for the obvious references to the OAV when Anita follows Nenene to the underground bookstore and Yomiko's building (I dare not say apartment because no one else lives there).

• 1 month later...

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read unless you've seen the latest episode.

Finished episode 9 today. Wow - what an unusual turn of events. Aside from Joker (who is apparently the bad guy here), Drake Anderson makes a return appearance as he protects this chick against the paper sisters. And then we find out that Junior has the same abilities as Miss Deep.

Now when is Yomiko coming back?...

SPOILER ALERT! Do not read unless you've seen the latest episode.

Finished episode 9 today. Wow - what an unusual turn of events. Aside from Joker (who is apparently the bad guy here), Drake Anderson makes a return appearance as he protects this chick against the paper sisters. And then we find out that Junior has the same abilities as Miss Deep.

Now when is Yomiko coming back?...

Shibby~

Now we're getting somewhere!

We only have up to episode 8 (disk 4) here in PI, but I hope my supplier will get his stocks soon!

• 2 weeks later...

SPOILER ALERT!!! Do not read further unless you have reached the halfway point of the series.

Apparently, the first 11 episodes were just a warm-up for what's in store for Nenene and the Paper Sisters. As soon as they return to Hong Kong, Nenene is kidnapped by Lee and brought to Dokusensha. At the same time, Joker, Wendy and Junior go to Dokusensha to analyze the books they've recovered. Anita, Michelle and Maggie storm into the organization's main headquarters to rescue Nenene, fending off the heavy security and the deadly paper user Wong.

Meanwhile, during the attack, Joker and Co. take all the data they need and bail out. In the aftermath of the battle, Nenene is rescued, Lee dies, Wong is presumed dead, and the entire Dokusensha complex (and a small portion of Hong Kong) is obliterated. This is the best mix of non-stop action and suspense since the OAV series.

If you watched the OAV series, you're already familiar with the "I-Jin." However, while the villains of the series were I-Jin, it was never known who brought them back from the dead in the first place. It looks like that question mark will finally be answered within R.O.D -The TV-.

Edited by areaseven

SPOILER ALERT!!! Do not read further unless you have reached the halfway point of the series.

Apparently, the first 11 episodes were just a warm-up for what's in store for Nenene and the Paper Sisters. As soon as they return to Hong Kong, Nenene is kidnapped by Lee and brought to Dokusensha. At the same time, Joker, Wendy and Junior go to Dokusensha to analyze the books they've recovered. Anita, Michelle and Maggie storm into the organization's main headquarters to rescue Nenene, fending off the heavy security and the deadly paper user Wong.

Meanwhile, during the attack, Joker and Co. take all the data they need and bail out. In the aftermath of the battle, Nenene is rescued, Lee dies, Wong is presumed dead, and the entire Dokusensha complex (and a small portion of Hong Kong) is obliterated. This is the best mix of non-stop action and suspense since the OAV series.

If you watched the OAV series, you're already familiar with the "I-Jin." However, while the villains of the series were I-Jin, it was never known who brought them back from the dead in the first place. It looks like that question mark will finally be answered within R.O.D -The TV-.

Wonderful A7!

I keep looking forward to this stuff!

**runs off and bothers supplier**

And now for something different: It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that anyone who watches R.O.D -The TV- completely digs the music. Here's a mini-review of the opening and ending singles.

ykzcd.jpg

YKZ: Expect the Unexpected

SME Records, 2003

U.S. Distributor Pending

Kensho Akimitsu - Guitars

Tatsuo Ogawa - Vocals

Hikeki Tanaka - Bass

Track Listing

1. No Frontin'

2. Illegular

3. R.O.D

4. Theme of YKZEE

5. Never Go Back

6. Illegular (Shaolin Mix)

7. No Frontin' (Quarashi Mix)

This is some funky sh*t to bang your head to,

Shake that @$$, just like we do,

So please everybody put your hands in the air,

Just like we don't care!

I hate hip-hop. Maybe because I grew up in a neighborhood where everyone was listening to metal music and beating up people wearing baggy pants. But despite all this, I got hooked on YKZ's latest mini-album. The trio from Japan use a very unorthodox mix of jazz, rock, hip-hop, and funk; and unlike Limp Bizkit, their music actually sounds good. The band's headbanging "R.O.D" instrumental captures the jazzy atmosphere of the TV series, but it's the songs "No Frontin'" and "Theme of YKZEE" that steal the show with their funky beats.

As the CD title states: "Expect the Unexpected." Well, I never expected the CD to be this good. Pick it up now.

Rating: A

--

kazamisingle.jpg

kazami with Home Grown: Moments in the Sun

SME Records, 2003

U.S. Distributor Pending

Track Listing

1. Moments in the Sun

2. Moments in the Sun `AKIRA'S VENTURA HIGHWAY REMIX`

3. Moments in the Sun (Instrumental)

From YKZ's headbanging opening theme and Taku Iwasaki's retro-jazz soundtrack, we move on to a calm, tropical atmosphere with R.O.D -The TV's ending theme "Moments in the Sun" by kazami. The 16-year-old singer mesmerizes you with her relaxing vocals and the song's upbeat instrumentals. While this is only a single with one remix and an instrumental, "Moments in the Sun" is a great add-on to your soundtrack collection.

Rating: A-

• 3 weeks later...

Back in Ep. 15 finally. And she still has Nancy with her. I was very happy.

• 1 month later...

SPOILER ALERT!!! Do not read further unless you're up to episode 18.

With Yomiko, Nenene and the Paper Sisters running away from Joker and the British Library, Wendy initiates "Fahrenheit 451" within the Jinbouchou district to lure Yomiko in. During the ruckus, Yomiko gets shot. Right when Wendy is about to order the troops to kill the paper users, a smoke bomb hits the area and Drake comes in to help our heroines escape. They go to Yomiko's parents' house in Saitama to get some rest.

Meanwhile, Anita asks Drake about the British Library fire. Because he was in another place, he does not know the full details on what happened. All he knows is that Joker and Wendy are not the same people he used to know. (Especially Wendy. Since when did that clumsy tea girl become a cold-blooded killer?)

That night, while everyone's sleeping, Junior phases into the house in another attempt to recover The Book of the Clairvoyant Eyes. His plan is once again foiled by Nancy, who uses her phasing powers to prevent Junior from escaping. Everyone rushes to the scene to find out about Junior, then he points his gun at Nancy. Yomiko then tells Junior not to shoot...

"That person...is your mother."

A gunshot shatters the tranquility of the forest home.

Edited by areaseven

• 1 month later...

SPOILER ALERT!!! Do not read further unless you've reached episode 23.

Well, we're almost at the end of the series. Throughout the show, we found a lot of interesting revelations on the story and characters:

- The "I-Jin" from the OAV series were actually created by the British Library. They were initially created to be candidates for Gentleman's new host body.

- Junior is Nancy's illegitimate son. In the OAV, Nancy (known back then as "Miss Deep") had an affair with the I-Jin leader Ikkyu. She gave birth while being held at a mental institution. However, Joker took him away from her to make him the prime candidate for Gentleman's replacement.

- Yomiko protested Joker's actions. He retaliated by showing her what was left of her former mentor and lover Donnie Nakajima. In the process, Yomiko lost control of herself and single-handedly destroyed the British Library.

But we never saw this one coming:

- Technically, the Paper Sisters (Anita King, Maggie Mui and Michelle Cheung) are sisters only by honor. But apparently, they actually are related to each other (and, to a certain extent, Yomiko Readman). Anita was actually another one of the British Library's experiments, where DNA of paper users was injected into normal people. During the library incident, the trauma caused by the ensuing mayhem prematurely triggered Anita's paper abilities. Shortly afterwards, she was abducted by Dokusensha spies and brought to China. Dokusensha then took Anita's DNA and injected it on a few other people. Before releasing them, Anita, Michelle and Maggie had their memories erased.

But the question remains: what does the British Library want with Nenene?

Edited by areaseven

The final two episodes are now available for download from Anime-station.

SUPER SPOILER WARNING! DON'T READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE ENTIRE SERIES!

Great series, but so many unanswered questions...

For example:

- What the heck IS Gentleman's true power? Can he just rewrite history? There are lines which would seem to imply that he has done this before. Remember in the OVA when he asks Joker if he needs help handling the Ijinn?

- How do the things from War of the Worlds and The Lost World come to exist as "real?" Is this some kind of extension of Gentleman's power? And what are its limits?

- Is Gentleman's consciousness now split into Joker, Anita, and Junior?

Ugh. So enjoyable, but I wish I had a better explanation for some of these things. Anyone in the know, please enlighten me!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the series myself, and even though the story's come to a close, there are a few unanswered questions:

1. What really happened to Yomiko-chan's former mentor?

2. Who did steal the I-Jin DNA in the OAV series?

3. Why did the British Library abduct Nenene? Is her writing really that important?

Too bad it ended up like crap. It had so much potential. They could answer 1001 questions they introduced but went with the "And they lived happily ever after" ending.

To answer some questions:

1. What really happened to Yomiko-chan's former mentor?

Read the manga...they're not gonna tell u here. This anime btw is standalone from the manga.

uhh....i don't get you

3. Why did the British Library abduct Nenene? Is her writing really that important?

Initially Dokushensha was experimenting with the memory download machine thing with Joker/Carpenter....and for some reason Nenene was going to be one of the best non-Ijin test subjects. Most normal people just die or become insane after the process. Then the British Library just kidnapped her as a hostage from Yomiko.

- What the heck IS Gentleman's true power? Can he just rewrite history? There are lines which would seem to imply that he has done this before. Remember in the OVA when he asks Joker if he needs help handling the Ijinn?

Apparently he can mould the world like God...apparently. But that power probably debilitates him

- How do the things from War of the Worlds and The Lost World come to exist as "real?" Is this some kind of extension of Gentleman's power? And what are its limits?

Some funky technology.....not really important IMHO. If we want to question this, we can even question how can they "cloned" genjo sanzo in the OVA which was a fictional character

- Is Gentleman's consciousness now split into Joker, Anita, and Junior?

Could be.....they never explained it....and what was up with that bloody teaser with that dog looking at catatonic Joker and then he just wakes up?? What was that supposed to mean?

I have a few questions of my own.

1.) Did Anita ever met Hisa-chan before the 2nd time she meets her and Hisa doesn't remember her? Probably her initial memories of their meeting were conjured by the library? Hardly unlikely since it was only up till the paper sisters meeting that her memory was manipulated....then Wendy told Anita if she liked this dream...this is when everything gets confusing and weird.

2.) What is the link between the Dokusensha and the British Library? Is John Woo the pigeon their ally?

PS: Maybe Wendy was actually Mirror man and he has secret yaoi tendencies for the Joker or something

uhh....i don't get you

Well, it was revealed that the British Library created the I-Jin. According to Wendy's transcripts, someone stole the DNA samples and created Ikkyu, Ginnai Hiraga, Genzo Sanjo, Otto Lillenthal, Ludwig Von Beethoven, Jean Fabre and Mata Hari. They became the terrorist group that you see in the OAV.

Who was the mastermind behind the incidents that occured in the OAV?

2.) What is the link between the Dokusensha and the British Library? Is John Woo the pigeon their ally?

From my understanding, Dokusensha and the Library were rivals. For decades, they battled for supremacy over knowledge.

John Woo was just a carrier pigeon owned by Lee Lin-ho, assigned to deliver messages to the Paper Sisters. After the Dokusensha Tower was destroyed and Lee died, Woo just decided to stick around with the sisters.