Space Battleship Yamato

Dobber

I'm interested in revisiting Yamato on Dvd. I haven't seen the original at all, and haven't seen Starblazers since I was a kid. Where should I start? What DVD/DVD set is best and which ones should I avoid?

Macross was a success for me a few years ago after wanting to revisit my childhood memory of Robotech. Mospeada wasn't so great for me though. :(

I just loved and still do the ship designs for Yamato/ the battleships the fighters...particularly the Cosmo Zero and the Cosmo Tiger 2.....did some research to get those names! The research only confused me in regards to the series/guide though. :(

I just need someone to lay it out for me if you have the time!

Thanks,

Chris

well truth is there really isn't any of the DVD's too avoid. Even the starblazers dub and changes aren't that bad. I guess it would come down to taste.

Theres a movie box set out in america all subbed. They are the movie compilations of the TV series. the tone of them is very melancoly.

the starblazers have all three seasons out you can buy singly or boxed by season.

Thats it for american releases I don't know about bootlegs or japan only releases.

There were three TV series (using Starblazers as a reference).

1. The Quest For Iscandar

2. The Comet Empire

3. The Bolar Wars

There were five theatrical releases.

1. Space Battleship Yamato: The Movie

2. Farewell To Space Battleship Yamato: In The Name Of Love

3. Space Battleship Yamato: The New Voyager

4. Be Forever Yamato

5. Final Yamato

The DVD Movie Boxset (as seen below) was just released a couple of months ago.

post-26-1097808111.jpg

They're apparently still trying to get a copy of the uncut, unedited Yamato tv series out to DVD.

Also, once you get into Yamato, that's just the tip of the Matsumoto universe. You've also got Captain Herlock, Galaxy Express 999, Cosmos Warrior Zero, Galaxy Railways, and others to look forward to.

I was watching Yamato repeats recently, I can't get into it at all... I don't know what it is... nothing really happens. Maybe it's still early episodes..? I think we're up to 10 or 12 or so now (of the Iscandar series). :huh:

Avoid the starblazer's DVD's. Aside from being dub only, they're very half assedly slapped together, terrible encoding, overpriced, etc.

You can find all 3 Yamato seasons on HK DVD (very good subtitles) at just about anyplace HK's are sold. The whole series can be had for around $70, half the price of one star blazers season box set. I would also reccomend checking out the Yamaot movie set (r1) that pictures were posted up of above. While the encoding isn't that great, it's the only way to get the films currently.

Keith might know more, the thing I heard was that the company really does want to release the unedited Japanese series, but they're having trouble acquiring the rights to it for some reason.

Also of note, while you could include both the Japanese and Americanized versions, if there is any edited footage, you'd basically have to have two of each episode on every DVD, instead of just different language tracks. This would either push down the number of episodes per DVD, or cut the quality.

Thanks for the help guys! Is it better to watch the series first or the movies first?

Also, is there much difference between starblazers and Yamoto? Or is it mainly more "suggestive" material ie, languge, adult themes, and death?

Thanks Again,

Chris

Thanks for the help guys! Is it better to watch the series first or the movies first?

Also, is there much difference between starblazers and Yamoto? Or is it mainly more "suggestive" material ie, languge, adult themes, and death?

Thanks Again,

Chris

Yes what he said, i'm interested too. :)

I'd go with the TV series first. I do have to stress though, that the voyager starblazers DVD's are really terribly done, glitchy as all hell, episodes stitched together into long strings with only 1 opening & close, etc. As far as I know, Voyager has never shown any interest in releasing Yamato subtitled ever, and even if they did, they use some of the worst DVD authoring around.

The HK Yamato sets are the way to go.