Spider-Man

areaseven

Spider-Man ( スパイダーマン )
Marvel Comics/TV Tokyo/Toei Co. Ltd., 1978-1979
Watch the series now at Marvel.com
Not Rated (Suggested TV-PG). Contains martial arts violence.

Cast
Shinji Todo as Takuya Yamashiro/Spider-Man
Mitsuo Ando as Professor Monster
Izumi Oyama as Niiko Yamashiro
Rika Miura as Hitomi Sakuma
Yukie Kagawa as Amazoness

Synopsis
A giant spacecraft known as "Marveler" has crashed somewhere in Japan. At the same time, biker Takuya Yamashiro receives telepathic messages of his destiny, which leads him to a forest. He sees that his father has been killed by minions of the evil "Iron Cross Army", but as he escapes from the army's assault, he is severely wounded. Falling into a pit, Takuya meets Garia, a soldier from the planet Spider. Before losing his human form and changing into a spider, Garia gives Takuya a special device called a "Spider Bracelet" that not only heals his wounds, but injects a fluid that gives him superhuman strength and agility, the ability to climb walls, and a sixth sense that warns him of danger. Reborn as "Spider-Man", Takuya uses his newly-acquired abilities and the giant robot Leopardon to wage a one-man war to protect Earth from the Iron Cross Army.

Lowdown
The 1970s was a crazy era for Marvel Comics. Sales of their titles skyrocketed, especially with the revitalization of The Uncanny X-Men in 1975. In 1977, the first live-action adaptation of Spider-Man premiered on CBS. At around the same time, Marvel invaded Japan and collaborated with film giant Toei to produce a Spider-Man series geared for the Japanese audience.

The result: a Spider-Man show with the distinguishing features of tokusatsu (Japanese for "special effects") shows - laughable acting, cheap props and lots of pyrotechnics. Unlike Kamen Rider, Spider-Man doesn't do a henshin pose when he changes outfits; instead, the costume pops out of his Spider Bracelet and he zips it up. On the bright side, the Japanese Spidey costume looks much better than the one Nicholas Hammond paraded around in the U.S. series.

The bracelet is also the source of Spidey's "webbing" (more like ropes than webs, though). And much like Kamen Rider's weapons, the bracelet is voice-activated (either that or Spidey just wants to tell the bad guys that he's trapping them with a Spider Net).

But wait! The cheesiness doesn't stop there. When the Iron Cross Army super-sizes its monster of the week, Spidey calls out Marveler, which launches his Spider Machine GP-7 car to drive (and fly) him to the ship. Marveler then transforms into the giant robot Leopardon.

Yes - you read that right. Spider-Man has a giant robot. And we actually have this show to thank for the giant robots that have appeared on all other Super Sentai and tokusatsu shows produced since then.

Spider-Man is obviously not for everyone. You will either love it or hate it, whether you're a fan of the comics or Japanese sci-fi. Check out the first episode to judge for yourself. It's nowhere close to the current movie series, but it's perfect for cheap thrills.

Rating: B

References
The Internet Movie Database Edited by areaseven

Marvel's relationship with Toei lasted well into the 80s with many of their animated co-productions, including episodes of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends just a couple of years after this live-action...effort!

Marvel were promoting themselves quite a bit in Japan in the 1970s. Apart from this live action version of Spidey, there were also mangas of Spider-Man (different from the live-action version as I'm sure many will know), the Hulk and Moon Knight. Not sure if Marvel had anything else made in Japan during that time, but it is interesting to know about!

Edited by Doryu2025

Marvel were promoting themselves quite a bit in Japan in the 1970s. Apart from this live action version of Spidey, there were also mangas of Spider-Man (different from the live-action version as I'm sure many will know), the Hulk and Moon Knight. Not sure if Marvel had anything else made in Japan during that time, but it is interesting to know about!

Many of us know about the Spider-Man manga by Ryoichi Ikegami (Crying Freeman, Sanctuary), but manga versions of Hulk and Moon Knight? That's news to me.

BTW, has anyone here read the X-Men manga?

Dude!! that show was hilariously awesome!!

I saw a couple episodes last year and it was freaking hilarious. Spiderman's multi-purpose attack car also had machine guns and he was killing the hell out of some random bad guys. No namby pamby wrap em up for the cops, he was taking the baddies straight to school with a vengeance!

I laughed for a solid half hour :)

Many of us know about the Spider-Man manga by Ryoichi Ikegami (Crying Freeman, Sanctuary), but manga versions of Hulk and Moon Knight? That's news to me.

Well, I've only heard of them but never actually seen them firsthand since I don't believe they were ever reprinted. The Moon Knight manga was apparently drawn by Gosaku Sakurada and appeared in TV-Kun magazine, presumably at some point in the 1970s.

Not too sure about the Hulk one though. I think it may have run at the same time as Ryoichi Ikegami's Spider-Man. The only reference I recall about the manga was a brief mention in an article one of the old UK Hulk annuals (which also contained UK originated Hulk comics), which talked about how the character was handled all around the world. Original strips in both the UK and Japan were mentioned, with an intriguing description of the Japanese version being "...more gruesome"!

I liked some of the X-Men manga, but having yet another comic strip adaptation of the animated series (in addition to Marvel's US adaptations) did seem a little like overkill to me!

Yeah, but like Doryu already said it was just an adaptation of the 1992 cartoon series which were already adaptations. Now that you've brought it uop I should dig up my copies and get rid of them.

I've have constantly wondered if Marvel would ever dare bring this Super Sentai Spider-Man to the US. I think now would be a good time since there are some fanatics out there that will buy anything Spider-Man. I love this show for it's sheer over the topness.

I've have constantly wondered if Marvel would ever dare bring this Super Sentai Spider-Man to the US. I think now would be a good time since there are some fanatics out there that will buy anything Spider-Man. I love this show for it's sheer over the topness.

Even though his company co-produced it, Stan Lee is not a "true believer" of the Japanese Spider-Man TV series. Besides, I'd imagine that Marvel would put the series with Nicholas Hammond on DVD first.

Speaking of DVD, has anyone here picked up the 1967 Collection DVD? Regardless of how old it is, it's still the best animated adaptation of Spidey.

post-26-1094721142_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
:D  :D

Thanks for sharing.

So, someone in Japan paid Marvel a lot of money just to use the name and the suit in a series that has nothing to do with Spider-man?

They where either afraid of a lawsuit or in those days dressing a sentai hero like Spider-man equaled big Yens  :p

367850[/snapback]

Back in the '70s, Marvel inked a deal with Toei to make Spider-Man for the Japanese audience. In addition, they co-produced the sentai series Battle Fever J, which was originally supposed to be titled "Captain Japan" (after Captain America). In return, Marvel bought the license to Toei's Super Robots (i.e. Mazinger Z, Gaiking, Com-Battler V, etc.) for their Shogun Warriors comic series.

Fan sub Spider-man

This is most awesome.  I found a link to this on another site and it is awesomely  funny.  I just wanted to share this awesomeness here.  My only question is did they ever make a toy of his car or giant robot?  If they did I would definitely have to add them to my collection, they would be awesome.

Good times

367782[/snapback]

Popy released a dicast Leopardon toy back in the 1978. And yes, it seems that Bandai will be releasing a Soul of Chogokin version soon.

http://www.zincpanic.com/article/25227.html

• 5 months later...
Looks cool! too bad the link to the first episode download doesn't work anymore.

422953[/snapback]

It worked for me today. Also, I found an interview with Stan Lee where he discusses the Japanese TV series. It looks like it was made for the Japanese audience and, as such, it seems as if Lee is trying really hard to very complimentary about the Japanese series.

Here's the link:

JP Spiderman Stan Lee Interview

I think Spiderman is great. I watched the cheesy

Spiderman TV show (USA)episodes and always wanted

more. I'm not sure about looking into the JP version

or about getting the Chogokin Leopardon.

maybe I wil who knows.