Who the hell are you?

EXO

Guest Rosario Love

Cobywan. Now that is a name I haven't heard in a long time.

i barely recognize anyone on here. Who's left of the old crew? It's been a long time, EXO.

I hang out with Phatslappy, but he sold his whole collection. Of course Graham is here. Shawn I sometimes email. David Hingtgen, is still here. Mechamaniac. Solscud and KidKorrupt. BobePatt I see outside of the forums... lol, they're all at TFW2005, the traitors! lol.

You know I found this place thru Valkyrie Dreamflight. The Ostrich was my holy grail. I visited alt.fan once and a while but I never posted. I was at SDCC and one of the McFarlane guys was demonstrating resin and I was full of ideas that I can make my own accessories for my 1/55. I came back and googled, no.. I netscaped it... lol. Lo and behold there was already people doing it.

2 years ago I was doing a project where I was ridiculously late. I owed a ton of people their items and not one person complained. It was a whole tring of bad luck. First it wouldn't stop raining and the humidity wouldn't let the resin cure, stupid me kept trying until I got sick from the material. I just made sure I sent out updates and the wonderful people of MW were patient. I mean I didn't get one bad PM from anyone. Eventually with the help of another old skool MW'er, Jasonc, who wanted to learn to recast, I was able to get the stuff out. MW members are the best.

I did get an PM a few months back, one member asking where his 1/60 figures were. That was the project before the one that went awry. All those went out fine. We agreed that it was prolly lost in transit. He said it as OK that he should have asked earlier, but I resolve to make it up to him once I redo those figs digitally.

Like the Sandman, I have several names and titles.

Histories and pasts.

Victories and defeats.

But what I really am, it is difficult to know ... up for myself....

Edited by Old_Nash

Guest Rosario Love

I hang out with Phatslappy, but he sold his whole collection. Of course Graham is here. Shawn I sometimes email. David Hingtgen, is still here. Mechamaniac. Solscud and KidKorrupt. BobePatt I see outside of the forums... lol, they're all at TFW2005, the traitors! lol.

You know I found this place thru Valkyrie Dreamflight. The Ostrich was my holy grail. I visited alt.fan once and a while but I never posted. I was at SDCC and one of the McFarlane guys was demonstrating resin and I was full of ideas that I can make my own accessories for my 1/55. I came back and googled, no.. I netscaped it... lol. Lo and behold there was already people doing it.

2 years ago I was doing a project where I was ridiculously late. I owed a ton of people their items and not one person complained. It was a whole tring of bad luck. First it wouldn't stop raining and the humidity wouldn't let the resin cure, stupid me kept trying until I got sick from the material. I just made sure I sent out updates and the wonderful people of MW were patient. I mean I didn't get one bad PM from anyone. Eventually with the help of another old skool MW'er, Jasonc, who wanted to learn to recast, I was able to get the stuff out. MW members are the best.

I did get an PM a few months back, one member asking where his 1/60 figures were. That was the project before the one that went awry. All those went out fine. We agreed that it was prolly lost in transit. He said it as OK that he should have asked earlier, but I resolve to make it up to him once I redo those figs digitally.

Since my end of MW activity along with Macross, customizing valks, and resin casting alltogether, I have read on other forums (including TFW2005) many similar instances where people ordered garage kits or resin parts and it took months for the maker to fulfill orders. Along with expected complaints and mass vocalization of fellow members, followed by long gaps in communication on the part of the seller (often, also, a language barrier and usually in china, though that wasn't the case with me here).

I learned the hard way just how involved resin casting is, and now that I come to think of it, it's possible I got sick the whole time from the resin itself. I never connected it to that until you mentioned that til now. I was not only casting it, but I was shaving and cutting it. I had RTV, release agent, part A and part B all over me. I sort of knew the cured resin was suppossed to be wet-sanded only so the shavings wouldn't be breathed in, but I didn't always use water. and that stuff is carcinogenic for sure. All my project materials were in my hair, my body, my clothes. My home was not big enough to accomodate the project and it took up my living room and part of my kitchen. The whole thing was a mess. Were I to go back and time and do it differently, I would have enough capital on hand already so I can pay for the production on my own (rather than depend on preorder deposits to cover the materials), and only after making clear that custom casting/fabrication work may take a very long time so that any customers would know what to expect if they decided to preorder. And I'd make sure to have a proper workspace, not my living room, and only take a limited amount of preorders at a time so I'm not overwhelmed, and then to communicate frequently about the status of the orders, even if the status was unchanged. Actually, now that I think about it, better to have the orders done already, and then maybe go through a third party to handle selling it. But that's not always possible, especially with one-of-a-kind production runs if you can't gauge exactly how many people are interested ahead of time.

But, I probably will never even attempt to get back into that again anyway beyond personal projects. I do miss the satisfactin of fabricating or customizing a piece, then moulding and casting a new version of it that can be replicated again and again. It's really fun!

I do have my old moulds for the ostrich and other parts, but they're severely warped. I don't know why I keep them. More for nostalgia for how much blood sweat and tears I put into the whole endeavor. I also have Elint moulds I never used after the whole Ostrich debacle. I'm stil suprised there was never any 1/48 Ostrich or Elint. 1/55 Ostrich is still my fav. Sadly, I don't own any of my own customs.

Like the Sandman, I have several names and titles.

Histories and pasts.

Victories and defeats.

But what I really am, it is difficult to know ... up for myself....

New Sandman out next year!!! woohoo!!!

>EXO< are you redoing the 1/60 figures? I missed out last time because I had too any valks to pay for :p

I hope to. Now I have a reason to really do it so I can send that guy his set. Also I sold my set to Bigkid... bastid, offered good money. I thought, Oh well, I'm gonna make better ones. I get a lot of PMs for them. In fact Egan Loo asked me last week about them. lol.

BTW, we have this thread now.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33610