arii destroid monster

HWR MKII

hello there

im new to macross world but not to macross. what im really excited about is the auction i just won on saturday on ebay.the item for bid was the arii HWR 00 MKII destroid monster. i won the bid for 81 dollars and the kit is mint. in this thread i want to document the construction of the monster. is there an online source that has well detailed line drawings i can use for reference?. any advice or tips you have will be helpful and i will respond promptly to any posts made. cant wait to hear from you guys.feel free to send me an instant message on AIM im usually on in the evenings and nights in the UK which has a 6 to 9 hour time difference to the US.

sean

Edited by HWR MKII

Hi Sean, welcome to Macrossworld, this is Macross central when it comes to toys and models. Some of the models and custom toy parts you see here occasionally can only be found on this site.

If you get a chance we love seeing peoples built models, everyone shares so post some pics. Please make sure to shrink the size of them to a resonable size though.

Grayson72

Edited by Grayson72

ewilen thanks for the link it helped a little i really need info on fit problems and attention spots like that i want to go into this kit head on. i build mostly tanks and macross items so i want to combine the two in the most perfect way i can. i did notice one detail in the anime that is not on the kit. the monster had tank style smoke dischargers on the nose. it was split second on screen but hard to miss when the screen is 10 ft by 5 ft. just to wet some appetites i have some small pics of the box and contents to show the condition of the kit.

post-3-1092351076.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

The Monster Has Arrived! i will be getting a new digital camera this weekend to document its construction. im also waiting for my copy of perfect memory to arrive for detail work but if anyone has scans of the line drawings it would be of great help if you could post them here or a link. thanks

sean

Welcome!!

$80 for that thing seems like a good deal for me.

About how much do these things usually go for?

And what's the estimated height after completion?

Edit:

Wow, a 10ft by 5ft screen??? Where do you live? o_O

*packs bags*

Edited by mbs357

ive seen this kit for as high as 300 USD and i think it will be near8- 10 inches tall i wont know more until i have it built. what suprised me is the person auctioning it started bidding at 9.99 thanks for the welcome MBS357 right now i live in england. im stationed here. the screen is from a hitachi LCD projector and macross 0-7 look awesome on it

Edited by HWR MKII

heres an example of the measures i have to take on the gun barrels just to minimize the seam. it will require some filler. (you can also see part of the screen that has been talked about in here in the background)

post-3-1092782487_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Dude, the 1/160 kit is *slightly* less good than the 1/200 one (why two kits so close in scale dammit??) in terms of detail - eg the detail under the shovel isn't as nice and and the proportions are possibly a tiny bit less pleasing, the plastic is a bit harder and more brittle (which is saying something) too.

Despite all this it is really the better kit, just in terms of size alone, and has much nicer proportions than the resin one (IMHO). I gave my 1/200 one away after I got the bigger kit. :)

You will need to treat it as what it is though; an early-80s low-tech plastic kit that'll need plenty of putty and sanding. Good purhase - enjoy!

thanks for the info vectromat. im used to building early 80s kits.im going to detail this along the same lines fernando faria did on his 1/160 kit. but so far the kit fits crudely but nothing some clothes pins and filler cant fix. and i agree on the detail and accuracy too but im impressed with it.

Edited by HWR MKII

hello again all

i just won the auction for macross perfect memory. got it for 25 bucks. ill still be posting construction pics but i cannot superdetail it until i recieve the book. happy modelling. the seams on the kit arent as bad as i thought and the plastic for being so stiff and old sands down really well.

Edited by HWR MKII

I finally got the new camera and its working great. here are the pics I have. Just for a size comparison those tanks in the background are 1/16 scale. i havent posted any pics of the construction for the simple reason that i have built the kit straight out of the box. the only mods are the addition of plastic card pieces over the hull to suggest different access panels and plates.

post-3-1093110743_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

thanks neptune. i needed something to show how big the model was. the tanks are 2 feet long roughly. all in all the monster is a decent size for 1/160 scale. i also have landrover trucks and people in scale with it.

the tiger 1 belongs to me its the 1400 dollar one from tamiya(500 off ebay)and the tiger2 belongs to the east england tank museum where i spend some free time.i refurbished it for them and basically saved it from the scrap heap. looked like a 2 year old built it. it needed to be completely disassembled ,stripped and remotored. both tanks run. the weathering on the tanks was done totally with brushes,pastels and washes. the only "real weathering is the mud on the tracks its from the tank museum where i spend some off time. http://www.tankmuseum.com/mainx.htm

Edited by HWR MKII

The camera is a DNT CamCoy2.0. its only about 125 dollars and requires a cf card to work. a 128 mb card costs around 25 bucks. i took the pics in the afternoon by my livingroom window with the shade drawm back to let in some light. i have it detailed and primed now.

Edited by HWR MKII

time for some new posts and pics. heres the first. the primer i use is krylon rust tough enamel primer. its great stuff,sands well,cheap,and has a nice neutral grey color on it

post-3-1093286650_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

i dont want to go too overboard on the detailing too much can detract from the model itsef and make your eye not want to travel over the subject. i just noticed the seams on the toes on each foot i should give those some attention

post-3-1093287163_thumb.jpg

Edited by HWR MKII

Yay! A Monster!

I don't know if it's too late for this, but you might want to scribe lines in the foot to mark the separation between the front toe and the side parts (are they toes? I'm not sure...) Macross Perfect Memory has a picture of the underside of the Monster foot which may make this a little clearer.