Z Gundam: AEUG vs. Titans

Got my first Japanese PS2 game today. They were out of Macross, but I got a used copy Z-Gundam: AEUG vs. Titans.

Not a whole lot to say to review it. If you played Federation vs. Zeon DX, you're already intimately familiar with AEUG vs. Titans. For the most part, it's the same controls on the same game engine. Like FvsZ, AvsT basically has three modes... a port of the Arcade, a two player vs. mode, and a mission/campaign mode. There are both ground and space missions in Arcade and Mission, and the ground missions are still roped off with red lines. The screen looks basically the same as FvsZ, too, with the forces meter on the top left, armor and weapons info on the bottom right, etc. You can still issue commands to your teammate and the like.

Gameplay improvements are minor. The only real addition is the useless transformation mode, which is essentially a kind of jumping dash, and a "Hyper Mode." Hyper Mode allows you to do team attacks with your teammate when the Combo bar fills up.

Where AvsT really shines, I think, is the fact that it's Z Gundam. Sure, it's a plus because Z Gundam was my favorite series, sure, but I think it's also a plus because you have more mobile suits and usually cooler mobile suits. This means you don't have to play mission after mission as a GM in the Mission mode, like you did in FvsZ. As far as I'm concerned, Z Gundam also means slightly better music.

For those of you who prefer the classic One Year War suits, take heart. Beating arcade as the AEUG unlocks all the Feddie suits, and beating it with the Titans unlocks all the Zeon suits. Also, although literally just started the Mission mode, I have a RX-79[G] in my aresenal, so it looks like the FvsZ suits are in Mission mode, too.

Anyway, at the end of the day, if you liked FvsZ, you'll probably enjoy AvsT. If you hated FvsZ, you'll hate AvsT. I just happen to fall into that first group.

Edited by mikeszekely

thanks for the review. one question for you, is the space based combat improved at all in AUEG vs Titans? i always felt it was the weakest part of FvZ, and was REALLY hoping they'd improve it for AvT.

No, space based combat is still tough to control. I had hoped witht he release of Encounter in Space that they'd use that control style for space combat, but nope. I mean, Capcom's name is on the package so that should have said something :p.

I rank the game low, by the way, mainly because of the fact it's exactly like Federation vs Zeon except with Zeta MS.

No, space based combat is still tough to control. I had hoped witht he release of Encounter in Space that they'd use that control style for space combat, but nope. I mean, Capcom's name is on the package so that should have said something :p.

I rank the game low, by the way, mainly because of the fact it's exactly like Federation vs Zeon except with Zeta MS.

By the way, Capcom is making AvT DX ... :D

Waverider/MA modes are nowhere near useless. Shots from MA modes, except for missiles, have a whole lot less tracking than the same shot from MS mode. This makes it possible to lead the enemy and hit them from ranges that it would be impossible to hit a moving target at otherwise. MA modes also give the MS a lot more mobility; you'll have a hard time keeping away from a hambrabi that uses its waverider mode, and the bound doc can slowly whittle away at the enemy while playing keep away with good use of the waverider mode to escape and firing the scattering beam cannon from the air at medium/long range.

I've played the game multiplayer a whole lot, and it's great, but I hate how overpowered the hyper mega launcher equipped zeta and The O are. Even the Qubeley pales in comparison to those 2; the hyper mega launcher shot has such a high shot velocity and damage that it's kinda like the hambrabi's sea serpent without anywhere near as much vulnerability from a miss, and an even greater chance of hitting. A well-played The O is nearly impossible to beat with anything except for the hyper mega launcher zeta and Qubeley; it has insane dashes and melee range and doesnt get knocked down by most attacks- it can take shots from normal beam rifles and bazookas in the face at medium range and get a free melee combo (for way more damage) before they can dash or fly away. :angry: The Qubeley is sick too but not quite as bothersome, since things with waverider forms can dodge the funnels without too much trouble.

I've already heard that they're going to downgrade the hyper mega launcher zeta in the next version of the game but I sure hope they don't forget about The O. :(

The only thing I found MA mode useful for was on that AEUG stage where you fight two Zetas. That's it. Every other time I used it was just for fun.

And yeah, I heard about the DX version. Just a few more MS. Not worthy of another purchase in my book, especially since I don't consider the original version a worthy purchase.

Last I heard Bandai said the game's coming over in "winter 2004", but E3 has come and gone and the only Gundam games Bandai touted were their craptacular Seed games. Looks like the new Gundam game for the GameCube is not getting an English release here based on what they've shown (and are not showing).

How did Encounter in Space (PS2) do in the US? I never saw it at any major chain stores except for the ones that specialize in video games such as GameStop. Toys R Us, Target, etc. all carried earlier Gundam games but none of them seem to stock this one.

This line of games is all about the multiplayer IMO. The multiplayer is also where the waverider modes come into their own. The single player is pretty much trash unfortunately, but that holds for all of the games in this series.

Last I heard Bandai said the game's coming over in "winter 2004", but E3 has come and gone and the only Gundam games Bandai touted were their craptacular Seed games. Looks like the new Gundam game for the GameCube is not getting an English release here based on what they've shown (and are not showing).

How did Encounter in Space (PS2) do in the US? I never saw it at any major chain stores except for the ones that specialize in video games such as GameStop. Toys R Us, Target, etc. all carried earlier Gundam games but none of them seem to stock this one.

In my store personally (I work at Gamestop), we sold a few. Mostly to the anime/Gundam crowd.

I hope the DX version is what we get here. I'd guess we probably will get it here, although when is anyone's guess. I think Bandai will push the Seed crap this year, and probably release AEUG vs. Titans when they release Zeta on DVD.

Anyone know what the new Mobile Suits will be in the DX version? Seems they got most of the good ones already, and I was under the impression that they left them out because the Titans already had a ton more Mobile Suits than the AEUG.

Vinny... I think the fact that it's basically the same as FvsZ with Z Gundam suits is exactly why some of us will enjoy AvsT. I mean, I loved the gameplay in FvsZ, but I thought there weren't enough MS in it, especially on the Feddie side, and that a lot of the MS in FvsZ were just... old and stupid, like the Gogg or the Ball. I loved the original Gundam series, but I loved Zeta a lot more, and Zeta had a ton more MS that I liked better, especially the Gundam Mk II.

Motley... like Vinny said, space-combat is nearly identical, as it's basically the same engine. The only thing I can say about it is that for a show that really took place mostly in space, there are plenty of land battles, and I really do think that targeting is a little more smooth, especially for stuff like the head vulcans. I mean, in FvsZ, they were useless, in AvsT, I can't do without them.