MACROSS NEXT

Kronnang Dunn

http://kronnangdunn.deviantart.com/art/MACROSS-NEXT-VF900-VAJRA-445251984

My proposal for a new Macross series. It would be set 3 or 4 centuries in the future. The hero VF of the show would be the VF-900 "Vajra", a new liquid metal advanced and sentient VF (I was inspired by the ship from "Flight of the Navigator").

post-7862-0-50745700-1396680512_thumb.jpg

The NUNS would have changed into the U.P. SPACY or United Planets Space Navy by then...

post-7862-0-00497900-1396680525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Interesting concept art for the Valkyrie. Very different but would need some refinement to make the Battroid mode much more stylish. Since the highly advanced technology of your fictional world allows such radical transformative capabilities in the Valkyrie, It's not like you'd have to be constrained by traditional Kawamori-esque design (since there wouldn't be any toys, lol). So you could litterally make the Battroid look however you want :)

I think your logo is my favorite piece of design work you've done for this story so far. I am REALLY impressed with how you've managed to keep the style of the old logo, but create a very different graphic design from it. I like it!

I love the idea of "far" future science fiction, but it's very difficult to get it right. By virtue of far future technology, many traditional "dramatic situations" that we are used to in our current fiction are either hampered or obsolete by default. Much like how cell phones would have solved the conflict of a lot of older movies :) One of the few writers I know that has been able to write far future fiction really well is Iain M. Banks, particularly his "Culture" novels. I'd recommend reading his work for inspiration or ideas.

Interesting concept art for the Valkyrie. Very different but would need some refinement to make the Battroid mode much more stylish. Since the highly advanced technology of your fictional world allows such radical transformative capabilities in the Valkyrie, It's not like you'd have to be constrained by traditional Kawamori-esque design (since there wouldn't be any toys, lol). So you could litterally make the Battroid look however you want :)

I think your logo is my favorite piece of design work you've done for this story so far. I am REALLY impressed with how you've managed to keep the style of the old logo, but create a very different graphic design from it. I like it!

I love the idea of "far" future science fiction, but it's very difficult to get it right. By virtue of far future technology, many traditional "dramatic situations" that we are used to in our current fiction are either hampered or obsolete by default. Much like how cell phones would have solved the conflict of a lot of older movies :) One of the few writers I know that has been able to write far future fiction really well is Iain M. Banks, particularly his "Culture" novels. I'd recommend reading his work for inspiration or ideas.

It all started as a small and very rough sketch. I envisioned sentient VFs that actually shapeshift more than transform. And they can link neurologically with a human "handler" or operator (who can also get inside them). They would be more like EVAs or something from Dragon's Heaven or Diebuster. Of course the series should also feature standard advanced VFs and aces to please the more traditional Macross fan hehe... B))

BTW, the logo is intended as a mix between the old kite logo and the NUNS one. The white shape now symbolizes the forward-swept wings from the hero VFs from Macross Plus and the Frontier film...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

No esta mal, pero ese concepto de que los mechas sean conscientes me tira la historia muy para abajo... supuestamente muchos futurologos opinan que la humanidad va a tener que, eventualmente, transformarse en una forma de vida digital y eliminar lo organico si quiere sobrevivir en el universo por lo que.... no es nada alejado de las espectativas.

Edit: i don't know why but I start writing this in spanish and I FORGOT that this is a english forum, sorry :p

Not bad, but the concept of sentient mecha makes me feel uncomfortable... I mean, some futurologist predict that the humanity will need to become digital and left the organic body behind to survive and expand across the universe but... today that concept seems weird.

Btw, cool story bro! :D

Edited by Gerli

Is your logo made with Photoshop or illustrator?

I'd love to get a vector or hires copy.

I completely concur with Marchomatic, it is a very refreshing update on the UN Spacy kite insignia!

UP Spacy sounds clunky but other than that I give it two thumbs up. :)

UN Spacy is an abbreviated form of United (Unified) Nations Space Navy.

To shorten it would be UNS, which is rather vague on its own. I also have concerns over the latest iteration on the Name, "NUNS" [New (neo) UN Spacy] in that, when is the organization no longer new or neo?

Is your logo made with Photoshop or illustrator?

I'd love to get a vector or hires copy.

I completely concur with Marchomatic, it is a very refreshing update on the UN Spacy kite insignia!

UN Spacy is an abbreviated form of United (Unified) Nations Space Navy.

To shorten it would be UNS, which is rather vague on its own. I also have concerns over the latest iteration on the Name, "NUNS" [New (neo) UN Spacy] in that, when is the organization no longer new or neo?

I used Photoshop hehe. I made it in a couple minutes using very standard tools. Sadly I didn't use vectors and that's the biggest resolution I have... :(

I think that the whole concept of "nations" is going to be moot by then. It will be more about planets... that's why I thought of the name United Planets (U.P.)... a coalition of worlds... Earth, Eden, Zola, etc. B))

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I think that the whole concept of "nations" is going to be moot by then. It will be more about planets... that's why I thought of the name United Planets (U.P.)... a coalition of worlds... Earth, Eden, Zola, etc. B))

The concept of nations ended at the end of the Unification War. That's why it's called Unified Forces, Unified Government, etc..

As CORRECT translations of the original material have been around for the last few years, I don't know why people still insist on using the incorrect term UN (= United Nations).

統合政府 = Unified Government (became New Unified Government at the end of SWI - effectively acts as a coalition of worlds)

統合軍 = Unified Forces (became New Unified Forces between M7 and MF)

Edit: take note that in Japanese, United Nations is 国連. It is only ever seen at the very beginning of the timeline, and once the Unified Government forms, the U.N. ceases to exist.

Edited by sketchley

The issue remains with the producers of the series, not as much with the fans. UN Spacy or NUNS does not lend itself to Unified Forces or Unified Government, but "United Nations" ..., yet it appears over and over in production art, animation and CG texturing for the shows. Perhaps Japanese audiences no longer "see" these things, but foreign viewers do and feel they have relevance otherwise they wouldn't be there.

However, MF seems to imply that an old school UN is reforming with each Emigration Fleet and colony world now being seen as an Autonomous state apart from the "Unified Government". Having access to the Galactic Network,with other allied worlds but not being bound to a centralized system of laws. President Glass did not need central government approval to launch reaction weaponry like Max and Milia did in M7. The further mankind expands into the Galaxy, the less centralized governance becomes.

I've always reconciled the appearance of UN as United Nations as akin to the United States. Each "Nation" was / is a collective part of a whole. The "United Nations of Earth", I would consider as a single global nation.

Edited by Zinjo

• 3 weeks later...