Aac-04 Banshee Iv

I just received the kit of the impressive Yukikaze's "Flying Dutchman" today, so here are first impressions.

post-1187-1143035072_thumb.jpg

This is what you get - about 40 parts of resin, a set of dry transfer and waterslide decals, comprehensive instructions and a color laser print for the paint sheme.

post-1187-1143035236_thumb.jpg

The quality of the engravings and the details is nothing short of spectacular. Parts require a minimum of cleanup, so the main challlenge will be getting everything aligned properly, and the paintjob. The CG model shows heavy weathering and has a kind of multitone tribal pattern on it, so I'm thinking of tracing the pattern in Illustrator, scaling it to the right size and cutting it from masking film.

If you feel tempted, HLJ still has it in stock link

-i-

Fantastic! Can't wait to follow your build up! You need to make a mini-mave about to land on that thing! (in scale! :p )

Thanks for posting - man, I love the mech designs in Yuk!

Cool!

It'll be cool to see a finished product. The folks who made those had other Yukikaze models. Not sure if I saw that here or someplace else. There were JAM & FAF fighters as well as the prop driven plane from episode 2.

The key designs were done by Ikuto Yamashita of Evangelion fame, he was working on Yukikaze together with the guy who did the mechanical designs for Mamoru Oshii's movies and whose name I keep forgetting. His style is often similar to Yamahita's.

-i-

Art stores sell single pieces of pastel chalks in a wide range of colors, so you don't have to start with a big investment. The chalk can be applied with a firm brush, paper towel, small sponge or make-up applicator.

I used post it papers to mask certain areas of the wing like the trailing edge of a panel, then aplied the chalk with a crumpled paper tissue to get irregular streaks. A small brush was used for detail work like the accentuation of panel lines. Much easier than pre-shading with an airbrush and gives you good control over the effect.

-i-

post-1187-1145833174_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...