Mass CG project ...

Aztek

OKAY.

I think it's time to re-compile the list of the models we anticipate using for this render. This time, to make sure we're not speaking for anybody out of turn, I suggest that everybody cut-and-paste the list into a new post and add their own models to it. I'll start.

MASS CG PROJECT MASTER MODELS LIST

VF-1S Roy Focker Colors - Doktor Gonzo

VF-1J Hikaru Colors - Brianw76

VF-0S Roy Focker (If we can allow it to be in space) - Brianw76

YF-19 - Brianw76

VF-1J Max & Millia TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1A Max TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-0S Roy Focker (If we can allow it to be in space) - Brianw76

YF-19 - Brianw76

VF-1J Max & Millia TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1S Hikaru Colors - Aztek

Tidying... also, suggest you guys indicate with the VF's ifou intend to contribute a Super or Strike variant.

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1J Max TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1J Millia TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1S Focker Colors - Doktor Gonzo

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1A Max Super TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1J Max Super TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1J Millia Super TV Colors - Datterboy

VF-1S Max Strike - Datterboy

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

I've got myself down for 4 diff ones, since I really wanna represent a 1S and1 I love MAX... let me know if that is too many...

:Dat

I was missing several months and I was with one pleasing surprise, new forum and much people modeling beauties of macross. A general question for all, could place next to the list that each one of you you did that modelador they used?

Thanks

If my English is bad they blame to altavista ;)

**Added ELINT and "Strike" to VF-1S model**

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1S Strike Hikaru Colors - Aztek

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

For everyones info, the ELINT will be done in a stripped down fighter mode. I'll be removing all the mesh that pertains to xformation and such to speed the modeling and manipulation time. My booster/dish etc. package is over 50k polys in itself. I'll probably start out by copying the mesh and seat for the backseater from the front, and when I get time refine it to be as accurate as the -1S is. I'll try to post some untextured shots soon. The -1S textures have been using up all my time.

More to come!!

BTW !!

Hehe, my wife got me an Yammie Ostrich and ELINT for our anniversary last week. So I'll have a kick ass ref for all that needs doing. I just have to walk on eggshells for a while cuz this is WAY out of character for her ... :D:D:D

Sorry for the lack of time on the boards of late. Time is at a real premium right now. I added my Destroids to the list and bow down in homage to the list of valks out there... Man I can't wait to see the final product.

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

MK-II Monster TV Colors - lparisek

MBR-04 Tomahawk TV Colors - lparisek (If I get it textured in time)

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1J Max TV Super Colors - Datterboy

VF-1S Max Strike DYRL Colors - Datterboy

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

Cannon Fodder - anyone who has one...

Before we loose the ones I claimed... seemed to have been dropped in the more recent posts...

And I was thinking, since the CF has many instances, maybe anyone who has a CF can put one in?

:Dat

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

Cannon Fodder - anyone who has one...

Back ;) Anybody have a big stick I can beat real life with? Been trying to find one...

Incidentaly, I have my Yamato FAST packs in and although I doubt I'll have time to finish my low-viz for the poster, I'm willing to provide high-detail FAST packs, missiles, missile pods, etc. to any Valk without 'em. If anyone is interested let me know.

lparisek, were you the one with ftp space? I had an ftp set up for like a couple of days and then it randomly stopped working. I do have DSL now and am willing to upload the Mac + textures... just need to figure out where.

Don't forget the VF-4 Fighter and Battroid. Doubt I will have textures by then, but I've got a decent looking model to contribute that looks alright with a basic color scheme.

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

VF-9 Cutlass - MasamuneEd

BTW What kinda timeline we looking at gang?

Cleanup....

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-4 Lightning III - Vinnie

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

MBR-04 Tomahawk TV Colors - lparisek

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

MBR-07 Destroid Spartan - Mechmaster

ADR-04 Destroid Defender - Mechmaster

SDR-04 Destroid Phalanx - Mechmaster

VF-1J/GBP-1S Armoured Valkyrie - Mechmaster

Heres the rest of the Destroids and the Armoured Valk, I can also add a CF Valk if you think you can squeeze another in.

BTW What kinda timeline we looking at gang?

Hmm.... good question. It might speed this along to actually set out a time table, and maybe delegate some tasks.

I don't want to be at all pushy, so anybody feel free to overrule me here, but I'm going to take a stab at outlining the next big tasks we need to accomplish, along with some thoughts:

(a) agreeing formally on the overall stats of our intended final project. i.e. the shape and size of the render.

My initial suggestion: let's aim for a true movie poster one-sheet format. For one thing, this might be easiest to actually have printed if the finished art turns out to be worth this - ditto finding a frame. One sheet dimensions are 27" X 41". What say? We'd also need to decide on print resolution. I'd suggest either 300dpi or (more likely, as we only have desktop photo editing power here) 150dpi. For reference sake, 27" X 41" at 300 dpi is 8100 X 12300. 27" X 41" at 150 dpi is 4050 X 6150. What do you guys say, to both the dimensions and resolution?

(B) deciding on a lighting scheme, which we will all adopt for our renders, for the sake of uniformity.

I suggest we keep it to a three-point lighting scheme, plus an ambient Illumination. That typically means 3 spotlights: one high, angled down, and at a -45 degree angle from forward, pointing down at the right shoulder (of the Macross); one at shoulder level, angled straight, pointing at the left shoulder; and one low, almost directly behind the scene, angled up towards the middle of the back, to pick the models out for the backdrop. In terms of light color, I suggest one bright "hot" source (most likely the high, right-shoulder light) tinted slightly yellow to represent the sun; one softer, indifferent white source (the other shoulder spot perhaps), and one dim blue spot (the light from behind). The ambient light should maybe also be blue.

Anyway, this is just an idle thought - would anyone be willing to take their model and do some mockups, show us some choices? It would be most helpful...

© finalizing a general layout (meaning a pose and angle on Wolf13's Macross, and a general arrangement of the elements of the shot) and generating an "animatic" - a rough image of the background elements, so that everyone knows what angle to shoot their models from.

I suggest we stick with the angle we've established - the Storm Attacker Macross, basically waist-up, with its right arm thrust forward, hugely forelengthened, into bottom center of frame. Our Destroids and whichever battroids we wish to have standing all posed together here. A huge halo around this of fighters, GERWALKing valks, and flying battroids arranged around this in a dense cloud. Sound good?

(d) This might be the gnarliest point - prior to actually rendering anything, we have to further refine the list of included mecha. This means getting a final and accurate head count, deciding on which mode(s) the VFs will be seen in, and determining the relative size and placement of each image.

What makes this tough is that, in my opinion, creating the best image possible means that we probably shouldn't and can't guarantee fair and equal treatment to everybody. Some mecha might be bigger in frame than others, some might wind up occluded in the back, etc. My gut feeling is that this is a better way to go than compromising the quality of the final product, even if it means that my own work gets short-shrifted. But I certainly don't presume to speak for everybody. What do the rest of you guys say? And I welcome opinions on how, if we do decide to do things this way, we should handle making these decisions on composition and placement, and on resolving any disagreements that might arise.

----

Anyway, at this point, we'll have standardized, and everyone could get started designing and tweaking their individual renders. These would be sent to the persons doing the Photoshop work, who would arrange and combine them, posting WIP shots which we could all make comments and suggestions on.

Whew.

Okay, timeline for this? That depends on how fast we can go. But how about a deadline of 1 month for doing all the (a)-(d) preliminary stuff above? That means we all start producing our actual working-towards-final rendered components for the 2nd week of November.

Does that work for you guys? Also, who thinks they can take on the task for one of the lettered points above? I'm willing to do any of 'em that you guys are willing to trust me with, or I would happily hand 'em off to someone else - I know for a fact that several of you guys are much more qualified than I am for this sort of thing... Either way, I think we should delegate these tasks to people willing to do them, and get moving on them right away. If we do, we should be in good shape to have this ready to go by, say, the end of November, and have an actual finished image, perhaps even an actual poster-sized print, ready for greedy little mitts by the end of the year...!

I can also add a CF Valk if you think you can squeeze another in.

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1A Battroid Cannon Fodder - Mechmaster

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

Mechmaster, we'll take you up on that - we'd been needing a cannon fodder!

Brilliant DG.

My time will be almost wholly consumed by trying to finish my piece of the puzzle. Should you need some extra help and have no takers, PM me and I'll make magic happen.

Az--

Hey, Dok, one thing to remember is that nobody is necessarily restricted to one render of their model; (ok, well, maybe I am...theres just one Macross!). For example, while the destroids might necessarily be smaller to make the composition work, who says there can only be one MacII and one Tomahawk on the ARMD deck? I'd rather see like three MacIIs with a whole little squad of Destroids in front.

Similarly, we can have little valks flitting around the background. This could even compensate for not having all the Valks the same size, and would let ppl show off their other modes (if only in the distance). This would also add density to the fleet, which is nice since the Macross had hundreds of Valks.

So basicaly, Valk ppl can get one "featured" model and a handful of "extras". If you think you have the time, you could even do a rough CF texture for the "extras". As for the destroids, we're gonna need a little army from you guys.

The detroid ppl I think have the hardest time of it, too, since they have too coordinate so they keep their stuff to scale, not just with each other but with the Macross. So I'll see if I can do some more renders so we can get a prelim pose for the big mac so you gys can start figuring that out.

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1D Battroid Valkyrie Trainer TV type - Mechmaster

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

Looking over the list I noticed no one had submitted a VF-1D so I stuck mine in there.

Dok, re point (d) on your list, I have no objection if you want to shuffle my mecha toward the back as I was aiming for an anime sort of style when I did them so detail and textureing isn't as impressive as some of the stuff you other guys have been doing. I guess that Les's Monster will be in the back row and since most of my contributions are Destroids its only natural that they should hang with their big bro'.

Wolf, I am in total agreement.

I had the exact same thing in mind - an armada of replicated valks (and destroids too - in fact, lparisek just suggested that we give the crew of mecha "on deck" some anchoring symmetry by having 2 Monsters back-to-back in the center rear, their guns facing outwards at a 45 degree angle, and have the destroids and the "standing" battroids arrayed in ranks in front of/underneath them. Les suggests that it would give a great sense of presence and solidity to the center section of the image, and I tend to agree. I had another idea to add to this one, which he liked - how about having a model sitting astride one of the monsters, like Kamjiin did in a late episode of the series? It would give a great "Dr. Strangelove" vibe to that section, and give a little more verticality to the "standing" section. I nominate one of Mechmaster's VF's for the task, since they seem so flexible/poseable.... we might also use some of these guys kneeling in the extreme foreground, to give us even more of a "tiered" effect....)

Around this "ground crew", we stick a cloud of valks, in all modes and at various distances, hopefully capturing the look of the pic I've attached below. I'm all for having multiple instances of everybody's pieces, at distances ranging from tiny background motes to extreme-closeup bits of arms, legs, feet sticking into the edge of the frame from beyond it. What say?

mcr215l.jpg

I had another idea to add to this one, which he liked - how about having a model sitting astride one of the monsters, like Kamjiin did in a late episode of the series? It would give a great "Dr. Strangelove" vibe to that section, and give a little more verticality to the "standing" section. I nominate one of Mechmaster's VF's for the task, since they seem so flexible/poseable....

I don't think sitting "astride" would work as the VF hipjoint isn't really built for that range of movement, a Monster is pretty WIDE, Kamjiin must have been singing all the high notes after straddling that beast. In fact VFs aren't really built for sitting at all, not with that pointy butt, but I could manage sidesaddle, as long as you don't think it makes the mecha appear too effeminate.

post-5-1065627427_thumb.jpg

Before anyone says anything... yeah, the "U.N.SPACY" on the Monster's arm is upside down, I used an instance of the right arm to create the left and as this pic was just a quicky I forgot to flip the text before rendering. Well I am getting on a bit you know, the old brain doesn't work as quick as it used to, or maybe its just the hours I work.

That's not bad at all! I'd just suggest uncrossing the legs, finding a slightly less flippant leg pose, and sticking a gunpod in the free hand for that slightly more martial feel! Also, how does it look when viewed from an angle closer to face-on to the Monster, for comparison's sake?

That's not bad at all! I'd just suggest uncrossing the legs, finding a slightly less flippant leg pose, and sticking a gunpod in the free hand for that slightly more martial feel! Also, how does it look when viewed from an angle closer to face-on to the Monster, for comparison's sake?

Something like this...

post-5-1065634262_thumb.jpg

VF-0S Focker - Brianw76

VF-1D Battroid Valkyrie Trainer TV type - Mechmaster

VE-1 ELINT - Aztek

YF-19 - Brianw76

SF-3A Lancer - The Woz

SDF-1 Macross - Wolf13

Looking over the list I noticed no one had submitted a VF-1D so I stuck mine in there.

Dok, re point (d) on your list, I have no objection if you want to shuffle my mecha toward the back as I was aiming for an anime sort of style when I did them so detail and textureing isn't as impressive as some of the stuff you other guys have been doing. I guess that Les's Monster will be in the back row and since most of my contributions are Destroids its only natural that they should hang with their big bro'.

aww... nobody remembers me... <_<

aww... nobody remembers me... <_<

Vic,

Since this is the "formal sign-up sheet", we're all adding our own names/models to the list. So to get in on this action, cut-and-paste the list into a new post and add your stuff!

Also, several of us are working on mockups of what a final shot might look like, so it might be cool to post some renders of your model as well, so we can include them in our proposals....