THOR - The Movie

EXO

Watched this film yesterday and thought it was so-so. I did think the actor that played Thor did a wonderful job. Here are a smattering of observations:

1) I didn't like how the very first time you see Loki on screen it's obvious he's going to be the bad guy. A blonde-haired kid standing next to a brown-haired kid... yep, the brown-haired kid is gonna be evil.

2) I didn't like how obvious Loki's machinations were. It seemed like there was some opportunity here to make him a tricky mastermind type... instead his actions at times felt incongruent... somewhere between diabolical and misunderstood. Meh. I felt the same way about his relationships. It would have been better if he didn't seem so sleazy right off the bat and the movie developed a close and trusting relationship with his friends before he turned.

3) In a very bad moment, when Thor's friends on Earth were looking for him in New Mexico... I had a feeling I was watching an old He-Man movie.... yuck.

4) Speaking of those friends, one or two of them REALLY should have died. If the Peter Pan guy had died in the first attack it would have been a nice start to getting Thor to develop into a better leader. If the dwarf-looking guy died in New Mexico it could have been that final push that made Thor into who he needed to be. Their failure to die also greatly reduced the tension in battle sequences... after the dwarf-looking guy lived it was pretty clear the good guys were invulnerable.

5) On a similar token, I thought the change in Thor felt abrupt. I think the deaths above would have eliminated this criticism.

So, overall I'd say it was an average film but it was much better than I expected so in that regard, I enjoyed it. A previous poster said "I need a horse!" was the best line. I liked the line following, after the store clerk says something like "We have cats, dogs and birds" when he responds "then give me one of those big enough to ride."

So, overall I'd say it was an average film but it was much better than I expected so in that regard, I enjoyed it. A previous poster said "I need a horse!" was the best line. I liked the line following, after the store clerk says something like "We have cats, dogs and birds" when he responds "then give me one of those big enough to ride."

The actor who played the pet store clerk really helped that moment out too. His wide-eyed expression was like "wow this guy is completely nuts" lol...

2) I didn't like how obvious Loki's machinations were. It seemed like there was some opportunity here to make him a tricky mastermind type... instead his actions at times felt incongruent... somewhere between diabolical and misunderstood. Meh. I felt the same way about his relationships. It would have been better if he didn't seem so sleazy right off the bat and the movie developed a close and trusting relationship with his friends before he turned.

That was my favourite part, oddly enough. I liked how Loki wasn't a kill'em'all villian at the start, like the Red Skull. I see this movie was watching Loki's descent into villiany, showing how he ended up at such a low level. He went from tricky and low-brow, through to anger and shock, add in a dash of jealousy, and finally end up with psycopathic supervillian as he attempts to wipe out a whole planet.

I strongly suspect that his next appearance in Avengers will be more like your "tricky mastermind type" where he knows who he is and has decided that being a supervillian has its perks :D

Seen it recently thought the acting was well below par

I loved, no, liked the movie but I have a feeling that if Thor had come out all on its own, without the superhero/comic book movie genre that it's become a part of, that people would have more or less frowned on the movie. Instead, I think people are more willing to forgive superhero/comic book adaptations for their shortcomings because, "hey, it's not a great movie but it's a decent adaptation." Again, let me emphasize that I liked Thor but it certainly isn't the strongest comic book-movie. Unlike Iron man 1 lol...

"hey, it's not a great movie but it's a decent adaptation." Again, let me emphasize that I liked Thor but it certainly isn't the strongest comic book-movie. Unlike Iron man 1 lol...

True, I thought some of the acting was a bit off like Natalie a bit

True, I thought some of the acting was a bit off like Natalie a bit

On the other hand, I thought Kat Dennings was pretty amusing. Not a bad looker, either...

I haven't even see it yet lol. I think my girlfriend was watching it but I didn't see the full movie. I guess I'll have to watch it when I get the chance. Looks like an interesting movie though. It's hard for me to get enticed into these superhero, mythology type movies (or whatever you want to classify them).

yeah, but they put frumpy clothes on her :(

Yeah but they couldn't fool "this" bastard, lol. And then a quick jaunt over to Google Image search showed me everything I needed to see...

Yeah but they couldn't fool "this" bastard, lol. And then a quick jaunt over to Google Image search showed me everything I needed to see...

lol, I think everyone did that,, her outfit for the awards was pretty nice

They call it fashion disaster, I call it simple advertising

http://stylefrizz.com/201105/kat-dennings-thor-fashion-disaster/